Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor You've never seen a tesla this color!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a one off painted by the factory P85D! I did a full correction on the paint and applied Cquartz Finest to it. Check it out!
DSC_0213_zpscwkmrgpr.jpg

When I got there the paint looked dull and lifeless....
DSC_0218_zpsjzez5ium.jpg

After I got it washed and the paint decontaminated I knew why it looked dull. The car had D/A sanding marks all over it.
DSC_0221_zpsxvm7wylc.jpg

After compounding made a huge improvement! I only took these working pics as I was mobile. No time for pics!
DSC_0228_zpsvrs8e8xd.jpg

After my second step of polishing the paint was noticeably brighter!
DSC_0231_zpsnytxrxcl.jpg

3 coats of Cquartz Finest later! BOOM! Now this Chip Foose color P85D is blinding!
DSC_0234_zpssfw1xzsy.jpg

DSC_0235_zpsvpro1pod.jpg

DSC_0230_zps47l1235d.jpg

This color really seemed to shift depending on lighting! It's really cool!

6F44ADC0-A2C1-49C1-8825-353D28A911B5_zpsm23vtpko.jpg

The next day after he had the custom HRE's put on! Major Gloss! Prep work perfection + Finest = ridiculous shine!

Thanks for looking
Joseph Torbati
Bay Area OCDetail

Very nice! How did you come by a custom color? I had a '69 Cutlass painted with a very similar color called "caramel". Very high metal flake content using Dupont Imron Paint, which is hard as nails, and most likely no longer used because it's pretty toxic when applying.

Curious how that works. You can custom order colors from the factory???

Tracking P85D delivery thread - Page 464

I took delivery of my P85D on Friday and to say that I am delighted is an understatement. As others have said, the hardware advances and improvements in fit and finish since I purchased my Signature 2 1/2 years ago are impressive. Once you get behind the wheel that is overshadowed by the supercar levels of performance and handling of the P85D. The use of AWD to overcome the understeer inherent in a 2 1/2 ton sedan is uncanny.

Please let me explain about the custom color. My request was approved in late December just before Tesla decided to end the program. My assumption is that doing custom painting was slowing production, although I never got confirmation of that from Tesla. Hopefully when the new paint shop comes online later this year Tesla will decide to offer some form of custom paint. In the meantime I feel really lucky to have this car.

Awesome. Hadn't been following that thread and had no idea this was even an option.
Too bad it apparently isn't still an option. The design process for me was deciding which options I could justify... I *wanted* them all. Except when it came to paint choice - then I picked the one I was most able to accept. None of the colours *really* grabbed me and I find that a little unfortunate.

Some years back, Volvo did their special edition T5R 850 wagon in a colour very much like in the OP's photos. It was one of those colours you either loved or hated... I loved it and think the Tesla pictured looks great dressed this way!

I believe that Tesla did offer custom colors in the early days of Production but stopped sometime in 2013.

I remember seeing a "Mary Kay pink" colored Model S very early on. I was given to understand it was an early Founders Series car and that the paint job was an extra special consideration for that particular owner. (I'm not 100% sure on these facts, but believe it is close!)

- - - Updated - - -

Some years back, Volvo did their special edition T5R 850 wagon in a colour very much like in the OP's photos. It was one of those colours you either loved or hated... I loved it and think the Tesla pictured looks great dressed this way!

Agree. I love the OP's color choice. It looks great.

The design process for me was deciding which options I could justify... I *wanted* them all. Except when it came to paint choice - then I picked the one I was most able to accept. None of the colours *really* grabbed me and I find that a little unfortunate.
I had the same thoughts when picking a color and ended up with MC Red just because it was not a variation of black or white. With my car in the queue as yours is, I've been curious to see if the the new Titanium paint will become available in time for a switch before production. I'd have to see it first, however, since the Red has grown on me over time and some colors suit various car designs better than others. The only real issue with Red is unwanted attention-but the car is for me, not the observers.

Since the new Ocean Blue and Metallic Black have been spotted (no Nigel, no spots on the cars) on cars at the Hawthorne CA supercharger, perhaps the three new colors are close to general release and we will have more choices soon.

I had the same thoughts when picking a color and ended up with MC Red just because it was not a variation of black or white. With my car in the queue as yours is, I've been curious to see if the the new Titanium paint will become available in time for a switch before production. I'd have to see it first, however, since the Red has grown on me over time and some colors suit various car designs better than others. The only real issue with Red is unwanted attention-but the car is for me, not the observers.

Since the new Ocean Blue and Metallic Black have been spotted (no Nigel, no spots on the cars) on cars at the Hawthorne CA supercharger, perhaps the three new colors are close to general release and we will have more choices soon.
LOL, yeah, I went with the MC Red too, for exactly the same reason! I've owned nothing but black, grey or silver cars since last century and the first thought that went through my mind when looking at the sample colour panels was... "Seriously Mom, chicken AGAIN??"

Don't get me wrong... I like chicken prepared in many different ways! But after eating it every day for the last 15 years, I just couldn't stomach another bite. MC Red was the only new flavour.

I'll be ticked if the colours are modified prior to my delivery. I don't want to pay for a change!

Joe did a fantastic job and is a pleasure to work with. I was so impressed by his results with my P85D that I had him come back and do 2 other cars. The BMW 1M was a real challenge because it had sat in a used car showroom on consignment for almost a year and had been dry wiped numerous times. The Sapphire Black paint was completely covered with fine scratches and swirl marks. After about 11 hours with the buffer Joe had the paint looking better than new, and the Cquartz Finest made the shine look super deep. Joe produced similar results on the 3 year old McLaren 12C. I highly recommend OCDetail if you want your cars to look their best!

1M%203%20Qtr_zpsyihu2x9n.jpg

McLaren%20Side%20Closeup_zps4ipoj0hh.jpg

Group%20Shot%20Rear_zpsio9n0slt.jpg

I believe that Tesla did offer custom colors in the early days of Production but stopped sometime in 2013.

RobLab had a custom brown (he called it chocolate I believe) on his signature Model S. He got it because he wasn't satisfied with any of the colors available for the Sig. models. He told me that only a very few of the custom colors were done before the option was discontinued. His brown has more of a red tone than the production metallic brown color.