Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure monitoring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alan

Sep 18, 2010
UK
Hi All,

Been lurking here for a while, but as I now have a Signature 250 sitting in my drive I thought I had better register.

A quick question - is it possible to display the actual tire (we spell it tyre over here) pressures. The monitor on my car shows a picture of the car but with no numbers.

Under setup I can choose from 2 different pressure settings, but unless I am being stupid (highly probable) or there is something wrong I can not see how to display the actual pressures.

Thanks
Alan

I've had alot of problems with this as well - have had me sensors reset twice - and used to get tire pressure system warnings come up everytime I drove. After my last visit from the "TESLA RANGER" hehe.....been working good again.

And yes takes forever to load tire pressures.....

Thanks Guys!

I have it sorted now. I can only access the information icon when stationary (at least that seems to be the case on my car) yet the tire monitoring only works after driving a bit. The trick seems to be to select tire monitoring before driving off, the temp and pressures pop up after a while.

One day I must must stop having fun driving the car and find some time to read the manual :)

Alan

PS Note to mods - this is the second time I have tried to post a reply. If thats because I am a new user and have to have post approved first, please delete the one with the most spelling / grammar errors!

The trick seems to be to select tire monitoring before driving off, the temp and pressures pop up after a while.

I don't yet own a Roadster, but based on my past experiences with TPMS, this makes sense. Driving around would make the numbers register MUCH more quickly. Sitting stationary would eventually work but took forever.

Huh. I'm usually only to the end of the driveway before I remember I hadn't checked that week, stopping, putting on the parking brake, and they seem to already have measured by then. If I remember when I'm in the garage, I usually have a result within about 5 seconds.

I like to keep mine at 32/42. Autosport has a great dual-filling chuck that can fill two tires at once, keeping them at the same pressure.

I've had my Roadster for 19 months, and it's been my habit since day one to check the tire pressure every morning before I leave the garage (pressure readings are supposed to be taken before they warm up from driving). The TPMS display has never failed to show me the pressure readings within 10 seconds after turning on the car.

I've had my Roadster for 19 months, and it's been my habit since day one to check the tire pressure every morning before I leave the garage (pressure readings are supposed to be taken before they warm up from driving). The TPMS display has never failed to show me the pressure readings within 10 seconds after turning on the car.

Sounds like your car is fitted with one of the early Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems that was able to identify all the tyre pressures as soon as the ignition was switched on.

It actually takes quite a while to get tire pressure readings. At the end of your drive, before turning off the car, check the readings. All 4 tires come up at different times. In my case, one of the tires never showed a result and the sensor needed to be reset. Apparently this is fairly common.

Sounds like your car may not be fitted with the original TPMS, and has the replacement one (not from the original supplier). With the original system there was no need to "reset" sensors.

I like to keep mine at 32/42. Autosport has a great dual-filling chuck that can fill two tires at once, keeping them at the same pressure.
That sounds like a great accessory. I assume it allows you to equalize the pressure between two tires if one is over and one is under. Also, is it long enough to connect to two wheels while they're on the car (on opposite sides)?

Yup, indeed. The hose on one side is short, the other is plenty long to get to the other side of the car. The hoses have quick releases on the end, which is nice and convenient - it's pretty much push them on, fill the tires, pop them off.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it online anymore.

Thanks Guys!

I have it sorted now. I can only access the information icon when stationary (at least that seems to be the case on my car) yet the tire monitoring only works after driving a bit.

Driving a few revolutions of the wheels will usually 'wake up' the sensors. Getting the pressures to display requires the parking brake to be engaged for me on a 2.5, not just stopped. Guess someone in legal thought it would be too distracting to display them while driving...

Driving a few revolutions of the wheels will usually 'wake up' the sensors. Getting the pressures to display requires the parking brake to be engaged for me on a 2.5, not just stopped. Guess someone in legal thought it would be too distracting to display them while driving...

You can actually drive with the screen but you're correct in that you need to be parked with the parking brake on to access the screen. You just don't hit exit on the tire screen/VDS, let off the parking break hit D and go. The tire pressure screen will stay there.

Yup, indeed. The hose on one side is short, the other is plenty long to get to the other side of the car. The hoses have quick releases on the end, which is nice and convenient - it's pretty much push them on, fill the tires, pop them off.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it online anymore.

I'll see if I can make one then. Then parts list would be posted and instructions made.

Although the parking brake has to be on to access the tire pressure screen, the system will give a warning even while driving. One morning I was a block from home when it went "BONG" at me, and the little screen displayed "Tire pressure low," or something to that effect. I had to pull over and put the brake on to get to the screen and see which tire it was. They were all low, but only one was below the warning threshold. I had been driving at the "comfort" setting, which is already closer to low.

Since then I've been using the "recommended" (higher) pressure and checking regularly, and I do not notice any difference in comfort.

It's nice that it will give a warning.

Does anybody know where to buy the sensors used on the Roadster? I 'd like to get another set now that I have 2 sets of wheels. I realize Tesla will have to program for the new serial numbers. I just don't want to pay over $1,000 to Tesla when I could probably get the same parts for a lot less.

Is this new? Tesla now selling the tpms reset tool:

Roadster Tire Pressure Monitoring System Tesla Motors

The TPMS Reset Tool allows you to reset your tire pressure sensor IDs to avoid TPMS error messages. With this do-it-yourself tool, you can perform the reset without having to drive your Roadster to a Tesla Service Center or have technicians do it for you. It is helpful when your Roadster 2.0/2.5 wheels or wheel sensors are replaced.