Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:mad:I have only had my tesla model s p85d for 3 months now after I replaced my 60kWh battery and the door handles didn't want to open at all so I called tesla becuase I couldn't get in the car. So they came 30 mins later and took the car and gave me a standard p85 and for the next 2 week's they were fine but today they did the same thing none of them extended I just want to know what is wrong with theese handles I love my car but I don't love it today

Does this happen with both fobs, or only one? If you press the handle at the car, any rection? If you double-click the trunk on the fobs, does it open? Do the doors unlock via the app? Each of these could help clarify what is going on.

Auto- Present Handles are disabled when ...

To preserve battery life, Model S is designed to temporarily disable the Auto-Present Handles feature when:

• The key has been out of range for more than 48 hours.
  • The key remains within range for five minutes after all doors have been closed.
  • In these cases, extend the handles by touching the driver’s door handle or pressingthe unlock button on the key.

:mad:I have only had my tesla model s p85d for 3 months now after I replaced my 60kWh battery and the door handles didn't want to open at all so I called tesla becuase I couldn't get in the car. So they came 30 mins later and took the car and gave me a standard p85 and for the next 2 week's they were fine but today they did the same thing none of them extended I just want to know what is wrong with theese handles I love my car but I don't love it today

Are you sure your P85D has a 60 kWh battery? The 85 in the name stands for 85kWh battery.

Are you sure your P85D has a 60 kWh battery? The 85 in the name stands for 85kWh battery.

The Op has another thread about having a wrecked S60 that was replaced with a P85D and is wondering what to do with the 60 (part it out or rebuild it).

- - - Updated - - -

It does work with both key fobs and the trunk works with both of them I dobt know what they problem is???

What happens if you push on the handle when you experience this issue?

The Op has another thread about having a wrecked S60 that was replaced with a P85D and is wondering what to do with the 60 (part it out or rebuild it).

- - - Updated - - -

What happens if you push on the handle when you experience this issue?

it was just making this clicking noise that it makes when they are opening but they don't but tesla took my car again today and they say they won't give me my car back until the issues is resolved also one more thing my sunroof didn't fully close once but tesla took that in to and know it's working just fine also I don't want to get rid of my car becuase of the door handles but when it's -15 degrees outside and I go to try to get in my car the handles won't come out its a real pain not knowing that if you walk outside to get in your car the handles won't open I mean like just think about it but I really don't want to get rid of this car over These small issues I hope tht they can be resolved and I'm selling my salvage model s to a salvage yard becuase the suspension on that car is too expensive for me to fix it my self so say bye to my 60kWh model s it will no longer be in my back yard garage anymore. Now i only have my p85d but hopefully I won't get rid of this one or get in a car wreck.

I can't believe door handles are still a problem. Consumer Reports' P85D had this problem too:

...one on the driver’s door of our P85D didn’t pop out, leaving us no way to open the door from the outside. And significantly, with the car sensing a problem, wouldn’t drive. We were able to move the car a short distance, thanks to the smartphone app that allows us to unlock the car and authorize two minutes of keyless driving, requiring a spry staffer to crawl behind the steering wheel from the passenger seat.

Consumer Reports' Tesla Model S P85D Breaks Before Testing Begins - Consumer Reports

Exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully the Consumer Reports incident will spur them to fix it once and for all.

Tesla is getting a lot of really bad publicity from the Consumer Reports door handle issue. Pretty much the rets of the lamestreet media has picked this up with news articles about how Tesla owners can't even get into their cars. Even the Mercedes forum people are gleefully talking about this.

They need to design this door handles so that there an absolute manual fail safe built into the mechanism. Even if the vehicle is submerged and all electronics are fried you should be able to push on the door handle to retract it and then pull it to open the door.

Tesla is getting a lot of really bad publicity from the Consumer Reports door handle issue. Pretty much the rets of the lamestreet media has picked this up with news articles about how Tesla owners can't even get into their cars. Even the Mercedes forum people are gleefully talking about this.

They need to design this door handles so that there an absolute manual fail safe built into the mechanism. Even if the vehicle is submerged and all electronics are fried you should be able to push on the door handle to retract it and then pull it to open the door.

In all fairness in using your example (I know, you were just throwing a far fetched one out there), the inside front door handles are manually connected. If you pull those even with zero power in the car, the front doors will open. The rear handles are not manually connected, but there is a manual release at the edges of the seat under the carpeting.

Overall, I would not be opposed to being able to manually open the doors from outside the vehicle.

I know a lot of people like the gee-whiz factor of the auto-present door handles, but I really feel like they are the Achilles Heel of the car. Reinventing the operation of something so essential to the basic operation of the car is fine if the new solution is a) equally or more reliable, and b) offers tangible benefit. a) is definitely not true here, and b) is debatable.

On my uncle's S60, the driver door has taken to opening itself whenever the handle auto-presents (not every time, but often enough). This is at best inconvenient (door opening when you were walking up to it but didn't actually intend to enter the car -- happened to me several times when all I wanted to do was peek at the charging status), and at worst a security hazard (door opening itself when shifting to park, or when someone outside pushes on another handle on the car -- and yes, both of these happened to me).

The fancy touch-sensitive handles on my Audi have none of these issues and are much easier to use (they always work, I never have to wait for them, push on them, etc.). This issue really sticks out for me because everything else in the Tesla is so well thought out and awesome. My wife experienced door handle wonkiness as well, and has already commented that the computerized nature of the car "scares" her because of that experience. And we only had the car for a day.

I really hope that the Model X and 3 go back to normal (or, at least, more normal) door handles, because the current ones are a blemish on an otherwise stellar experience when using the car.

In all fairness in using your example (I know, you were just throwing a far fetched one out there), the inside front door handles are manually connected. If you pull those even with zero power in the car, the front doors will open. The rear handles are not manually connected, but there is a manual release at the edges of the seat under the carpeting.
Which, quite frankly, I've always thought was a substantial safety issue. In the event of some kind of emergency, does every one of your rear passengers know if the car loses power they need to fumble around under the seats to find a tiny slit in the carpet, move that carpet aside, find a little tab connected to a wire, and then yank on it to escape the vehicle?

Not exactly a great first impression: "Hey, come for a ride in the Tesla! Oh, by the way, in case of emergency you might have to find and yank on some wire under the seat to get out. Have fun!"

Tesla got a lot right, but they botched some fundamentals. Door handles are something that should always work. You should always be able to close the hood without damaging it. This is basic stuff.

Which, quite frankly, I've always thought was a substantial safety issue. In the event of some kind of emergency, does every one of your rear passengers know if the car loses power they need to fumble around under the seats to find a tiny slit in the carpet, move that carpet aside, find a little tab connected to a wire, and then yank on it to escape the vehicle?

Not exactly a great first impression: "Hey, come for a ride in the Tesla! Oh, by the way, in case of emergency you might have to find and yank on some wire under the seat to get out. Have fun!"

Tesla got a lot right, but they botched some fundamentals. Door handles are something that should always work. You should always be able to close the hood without damaging it. This is basic stuff.
I've never figured out why, if they could do the mechanical linkage on the front handles, they couldn't do the same on the rears.

Tesla isn't the only one with a similar situation though, I once sat in a car (I think it was a corvette?) at an auto show, the person running the booth had to show me how to use the emergency release under the carpet to get out again because the car had no power so the interior door handles didn't work. I thought at the time it was a ridiculous design. (worst part there was that the handles didn't even have Tesla's excuse to be electronic, they looked every bit like normal handles)

I'm not sure how many times we need to repeat this on the forums, but the rear interior handles are not mechanically linked to the door latches due to the need to support the Child Protection Lock feature. When you enable Child Protection Lock, the computer simply doesn't respond to rear interior handle pulls. Sure, I guess they could have placed some electro-mechanical device to physically link/un-link the rear handles to the latch when toggling the feature, but it would be more complex and costly.

Right. Unlike the existing electro-mechanical door handles, which aren't complex or costly at all ...
:biggrin: Indeed. You can repeat the it on the forums all you want, but that doesn't make it make any more sense to me. Especially when you could have done the mechanical disconnect with a switch inside the door like the millions of other cars on the road. Not as fancy, but still cheap and safer than what we got.