Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going reverse while in "D" mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only owned my S85D for only a week. So far it's been pretty amazing. The car is much longer and wider than I initially thought. But the acceleration, technology, and smoothness of the ride is just the best. It's clearer to me than ever that this is the future of cars.

However, I do have a pet peeve. Idk if it's an issue or just the way the car is. I've noticed that when I'm parking and I put the car in "D" (forward drive), the car would sometimes creep backwards. Conversely, sometimes when I'm parking in "R", the car still creeps forward. It's like the car is in neutral and rolling according to its last mode or maybe to the slope of the road. Today I was parking in a tight spot on a sloped street, this "issue" made it much more difficult to park than it should have been. I had it in "R", but it was going forward. So I tapped the accelerator a bit to get it to go backwards. But in the tight spot, I can only accelerate a little at a time, which resulted in the car seemingly rocking back and forth. For the record, I do have creep turned off. In my previous ICE cars, when I'm in drive, the car would never go backwards. Vice versa, the ICE car would never go forward when i'm in reverse.

Is this an expected behavior of an EV or is it an issue worth looking into?

Thanks!

I've only owned my S85D for only a week. So far it's been pretty amazing. The car is much longer and wider than I initially thought. But the acceleration, technology, and smoothness of the ride is just the best. It's clearer to me than ever that this is the future of cars.

However, I do have a pet peeve. Idk if it's an issue or just the way the car is. I've noticed that when I'm parking and I put the car in "D" (forward drive), the car would sometimes creep backwards. Conversely, sometimes when I'm parking in "R", the car still creeps forward. It's like the car is in neutral and rolling according to its last mode or maybe to the slope of the road. Today I was parking in a tight spot on a sloped street, this "issue" made it much more difficult to park than it should have been. I had it in "R", but it was going forward. So I tapped the accelerator a bit to get it to go backwards. But in the tight spot, I can only accelerate a little at a time, which resulted in the car seemingly rocking back and forth. For the record, I do have creep turned off. In my previous ICE cars, when I'm in drive, the car would never go backwards. Vice versa, the ICE car would never go forward when i'm in reverse.

Is this an expected behavior of an EV or is it an issue worth looking into?

Thanks!
Without Creep Mode on, the car is essentially in Neutral when you take your foot off the accelerator. If you press the brake, then release it while on a slope of just about any kind, it will hill hold for 1 second before it returns to neutral. Personally, I love creep mode. It would, for the most part, accept on steeper slopes, eliminate your issue.

The Model S will certainly roll when in drive or reverse, when not on level ground. There is a hill hold function that keeps it from rolling backwards when on a hill in D, but takes a certain slope hill to activate.

Edit: islandbayy beat me to it. :smile:

To the OP: if you have Creep Mode off and when you bring the car to a full stop, then take your foot off the brake and notice the car rolls forward or backward that is because you are not on level ground. It's as simple as that.

Try turning Creep on and see if you like that better.

I prefer Creep off in my S. A year later I bought a Roadster. In that car there is no way to turn Creep off, it is the default and only state. I switch back and forth between the two Teslas. Not a problem but wish the Roadster had no "creep".

thanks everyone for their input. i will give creep a try and see if that helps.

i wonder though, if the creep is strong enough to counteract a steeper slope. I don't encounter sloped streets often, so I'll just have to wait till the next time to try this out.

The Model S will certainly roll when in drive or reverse, when not on level ground. There is a hill hold function that keeps it from rolling backwards when on a hill in D, but takes a certain slope hill to activate.

Edit: islandbayy beat me to it. :smile:
"hill assist"

Hill Hold is different from what Tesla implemented, which -- I believe -- is why they chose a different name for the feature.

I've never seen a car where a sufficient slope couldn't overpower the creep and send you in the opposite direction from what you had selected. All you're seeing is the lack of creep on the Model S. Turn it on, and you'll be just like any other car: you'll roll in the selected direction when on relatively level ground, but steeper inclines will still overpower it.

I tried running without creep. It was just too challenging/dangerous. In all situations, parking, backing out of the garage, etc. I am so worried about slamming a curb or getting over a bump getting into the garage, creep takes care of it all. The downside is i have to use the brakes when I come to a complete stop. But timed correctly, that is not a big deal.

I tried running without creep. It was just too challenging/dangerous. In all situations, parking, backing out of the garage, etc. I am so worried about slamming a curb or getting over a bump getting into the garage, creep takes care of it all. The downside is i have to use the brakes when I come to a complete stop. But timed correctly, that is not a big deal.

I found creep on to be far more dangerous because the car wants to move.