Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 days and 235 miles in to my P85D and - 12V charge low, car may shut down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the 12v battery issues continue to plague these cars. I jumped in it tonight to show it off to a friend (Great timing) and had this error on my dash. I was in the process of buckling up, and by the time I did, the error cleared. Started normal, drove normal, etc.

Hung at his place a bit and then drove home. No errors, no problems. I had about 90 miles of range left. I'll probably call service in the AM to see if they see anything.

That and the brakes are squealing like a mother! Also doesn't show off well to friends!

But otherwise, huge grins! Me and the rest of the family and friends! This is the best go-kart I've ever owned! Just hoping the battery and brakes aren't a bad sign of things to come!

So the 12v battery issues continue to plague these cars. I jumped in it tonight to show it off to a friend (Great timing) and had this error on my dash. I was in the process of buckling up, and by the time I did, the error cleared. Started normal, drove normal, etc.

Hung at his place a bit and then drove home. No errors, no problems. I had about 90 miles of range left. I'll probably call service in the AM to see if they see anything.

That and the brakes are squealing like a mother! Also doesn't show off well to friends!

But otherwise, huge grins! Me and the rest of the family and friends! This is the best go-kart I've ever owned! Just hoping the battery and brakes aren't a bad sign of things to come!

At least the error cleared, it used to just stay until either a fuse was pulled or the battery was replaced.

Actually, didn't wash my new toy yet. Been on and off rain, but not in the last two days of driving. It's actually getting worse the more I drive. But I'll give it a few good stops and see what happens. Definitely not using the brakes much, regen handling it for me!

On the 12 volt message I would use the bug report. Push down the voice button, say "bug report" followed by a very brief description. It should give a message thanking you for the report. That sends the message and logs to Tesla.
I would contact my local service on the brake squeal. I get a little grinding noise after it sits after washing but never a squeal. That sounds more like metal on metal.

My recommendation is to call service ASAP! This error can quickly go from nuisance to a non-working vehicle.

Completely agree with @iadbound. Just can't believe you are getting the message after just 235 miles. I would ask them for a thorough explanation though we all know there won't be a great one for this issue. Best of luck.

Actually, didn't wash my new toy yet. Been on and off rain, but not in the last two days of driving. It's actually getting worse the more I drive. But I'll give it a few good stops and see what happens. Definitely not using the brakes much, regen handling it for me!

The service center did as part of delivery prep. I'm glad you called about the 12v issue. It could be an infant mortality issue, or a lose cable. If the DC to DC inverter wasn't working at all the car would already be dead.

Just heard back. They said they discussed with Tesla engineers and this is actually a known issue in the firmware currently. They said it is extremely rare for it to recur (If it does, I should call them), but it's not anything that's to be concerned about. I asked if it was fixed in 6.2, and she wasn't sure, but didn't sound like it since it's a known issue and they're working on it.

So hopefully it's just that. If not, I'll let you know!