Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Parking Camera w/ Auto Pilot hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my P85D. Nervous about how low the front is and that the front parking sensors seem useless for approaching a curb when pulling straight into a parking spot. Have been driving an SUV for a few years so this has not really been a concern; although my SUV had front cameras)

Is there no front camera on the Tesla to help with this? (thought the auto-pilot hardware has cameras in the front).

Thanks.

The autopilot camera is in the mirror housing at the top of the windshield. The parking sensors themselves do a pretty good (but not infallible) job of detecting curbs and parking bumpers. My eyeball does a pretty good (but not infallible) job of stopping me short of said curbs and bumpers. :biggrin:

Between the two, I haven't scraped the nose of the P85D yet, in nearly 7000 miles. Can't say the same for the S85 (it's got 37,000 miles on it).

In my SUV, I've always backed in parking spaces, so I plan to do the same with the MS, except the garage. In my garage, one car has to back in and the other pull forward in so the drivers can open their doors (walls to close, so passengers get out when the vehicle stops in the driveway), and the side for backing in doesn't have a Homelink compatible garage door opener while the other side does.

@blu zap: I have found that after parking, no matter how I have the suspension set at the time, the car always seems to lower itself after parking. Just never made sense to me but it seems to be the behavior. Does yours maintain the suspension height you set it at even after parking?

Also, you have the sonar sensors for that.
But the sonar sensor don't reliably see curbs, especially up close.

I really wish the Model S had a 360 degree top down camera system like so many other cars out there (not just high end cars, even Leafs and Hyundais have them). I was waiting for that before upgrading to the 90D, but when the Model X was announced and did not have it, I decided it was probably not coming any time soon and upgraded without it.

I really wish the Model S had a 360 degree top down camera system like so many other cars out there. I was waiting for that before upgrading to the 90D, but when the Model X was announced and did not have it, I decided it was probably not coming any time soon and upgraded without it.

I dunno, my sonar sensors work well for curbs and parking blocks. It tells me where they are up-to 12", and then says stop. You keep driving, it keeps beeping. Works for both nose-in and back-in parking.

I agree that a 360 degree top down view would be awesome.

I really wish the Model S had a 360 degree top down camera system like so many other cars out there (not just high end cars, even Leafs and Hyundais have them). I was waiting for that before upgrading to the 90D, but when the Model X was announced and did not have it, I decided it was probably not coming any time soon and upgraded without it.

Ditto. I'm contemplating this system, but the fact that you can't integrate it onto the big screen is a significant drawback...