Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs. BMW X6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I try to keep up with the threads but I have never heard anyone make a visual comparison of the Model X to a BMW X6. The Model S is 16 ft in length and the Model X will utilize the same wheelbase. The X6 is about 15.5 ft. Furthermore, in real life the X6 has a "blimpy" look to it for which I've heard some people criticize the Model X. I see X6's on a daily basis and they continually remind me of the future Model X. For the record, from what we've seen, I love the look of the X. To illustrate, I have attached some photos of a 2014 BMW X6 that mimic shots of the white, Model X mule.
BMW-X6-at-the-Philippines-International-Motor-Show-2014-1024x682.jpg
BMW-X6-White-2014.jpg
BMW-X6-M50-2014.jpg
BMW 2014-bmw-x6.jpg

The X6 is a controversial, yet I think nice design.

Two differences to Model X:

1. When comparing to the X is, the X6 is actually based on an SUV - the X5, whereas Model X is based on a regular car, Model S. X5/X6 will ride higher, for example.

2. But because X6 is a tapered X5, it will seat less people and less rear headroom than Model X is expected to, because Model X is actually a larger, higher Model S instead of the other way around.

Well, three differences. X6 has those strange holes near the rear diffuser. What are they?

Last edited:
I distinctly remember my very first impression of the X6: a 3 Series on stilts. It took me ages to warm to its looks, whereas I've been a fan of the X5 right form the start.

I guess a lot of people thought the X6 is incredibly ugly and in many ways stupendously arrogant - "hey we'll make this big heavy car with none of the space benefits, just so we can pollute more" type of thoughts - but funny what a decade changes. I think X6 just in many ways became the new normal in its class, although the direction overall - and that's good - is towards a bit less heavy sporty CUVs, not sporty SUVs...

Last edited:
I think the Audi Q7 is a closer analogue. Elon even mentioned it during the X reveal.

Someone here did a side profile comparison but I can't find it anymore (same length but the Q7 was less slope-y)

Agreed. First-gen Q7 seems to have been a rolemodel for Tesla.

That said, the first-gen Q7 is based on an SUV platform (Touareg/Cayenne), while Model X is based on the Model S and is more of a cross-over, so differences in that regard... I would expect Q7 to ride higher.

OP:

i certainly have made X6 and X comparisons. starting with the name.

of the two, i'd say that as much shyt the x6 gets for its styling, it's still the far better looking machine.

then again, the audis have that stupid monocultural grill mouth, so it gets the Fugly Award :)

OP:

i certainly have made X6 and X comparisons. starting with the name.

of the two, i'd say that as much shyt the x6 gets for its styling, it's still the far better looking machine.

then again, the audis have that stupid monocultural grill mouth, so it gets the Fugly Award :)

Have you seen the new Q7 design? It's as if someone had sent in a mock-up design to make fun of Audis and Audi management went 'you know what? This is BRILLIANT! LETS DO IT!'. Absolutely hideous.

- - - Updated - - -

01_Audi_Q7_2015.jpg

Here it is. And I used to be a big fan of Audi's design, around the time the first TT was introduced and the A6 and A4 got their new, sleek designs. And then of course the wonderful A5. No idea what they're thinking with this though.

Have you seen the new Q7 design? It's as if someone had sent in a mock-up design to make fun of Audis and Audi management went 'you know what? This is BRILLIANT! LETS DO IT!'. Absolutely hideous.
And I used to be a big fan of Audi's design, around the time the first TT was introduced and the A6 and A4 got their new, sleek designs. And then of course the wonderful A5. No idea what they're thinking with this though.

I'm in total agreement with you @Gerasimental. The look of the current Q7 is the best looking SUV on the market IMO. I think car manufacturers feel that they have to continually change the look of their models to keep sales up. It would seem that Audi ran out of ideas on how to improve the look of the next Q7, so they went in a completely new direction: ugly. On the bright side, all following Q7 models will have plenty of room for improvements in the "looks" department.

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is. And I used to be a big fan of Audi's design, around the time the first TT was introduced and the A6 and A4 got their new, sleek designs. And then of course the wonderful A5. No idea what they're thinking with this though.

Yah I saw it at the Geneva auto show and it IS hideous!! I used to have a Q7 and loved it but I would never buy this one.

I can see why the new Q7 is controversial, but I'm probably in the minority in this thread to say I like it. The old rounded design was simply getting so old, it was over a decade old after all, a real push towards a new direction was very welcome and my eyes like it.

That said, I would never buy the car. That huge grille in the front alone reminds me of why. And I love Audi's single-frame, and I like its new sharper angled direction as well, but after my EV awakening I can not stand what it stands for anymore.

I would consider a car with this design and the Tesla drivetrain. It is another - much sadder story - how far Audi has fallen from its "vorsprung" roots. This is not "vorsprung", this is merely a design exercise.

And Audi had a car on the market with a nose cone a decade before Tesla had any cars on the market. They were just too afraid to put an EV behind that nose cone. Sad.

I have not seen the Q7 in person, so I reserve final judgement. By the "blue" picture, Audi destroyed and Icon SUV. Hard to believe Audi rejected another design and delayed it a year to come out with that. It looks like there will be no replacement Q7 in my future. Will see in person some day.

I can see why the new Q7 is controversial, but I'm probably in the minority in this thread to say I like it. The old rounded design was simply getting so old, it was over a decade old after all, a real push towards a new direction was very welcome and my eyes like it.

Well, Porsche never saw the need to radically redesign the 911, and that's over half a century old now. The Q7 was one of, if not THE, first of it's kind. It was instantly recognisable and unique.
Personally, I still don't think it looks old. I find the original Q7 design pretty timeless, although I wouldn't call it beautiful (but then I just don't like these HUGE SUVs). The new one just looks pretty generic.

Unfortunately, Audi has done the exact same thing with the new R8 and TT, both of which were unique and original designs in their first iterations and are now bland and generic. Real real shame.

Well, Porsche never saw the need to radically redesign the 911, and that's over half a century old now. The Q7 was one of, if not THE, first of it's kind. It was instantly recognisable and unique.
Personally, I still don't think it looks old. I find the original Q7 design pretty timeless, although I wouldn't call it beautiful (but then I just don't like these HUGE SUVs). The new one just looks pretty generic.

Unfortunately, Audi has done the exact same thing with the new R8 and TT, both of which were unique and original designs in their first iterations and are now bland and generic. Real real shame.

Just goes to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :) I think 911 looks eternally old, and not in a good way. (Not disputing the car's classicness - is that a word? - though.)

That said, Audi TT in original form was very unique. The later models, not so much. Personally I wouldn't elevate first-gen Q7 or R8 to that status, though. But TT, first one was a sculpture and the latter ones not (now, someone is free to make a literal second-gen TT sculpture joke).