Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

which is best phone for Tesla? iphone or android? watch? androidwear or applewatch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhzmark

Jul 21, 2013
I'm currently using the android app, but was thinking of getting an iphone 6 b/c the tesla iphone app has a few more features than the android one,

but then I came across this Apple Watch vs. Android Wear. Time to Drive Tesla Further | ELEKS Labs which shows that the android wear watch functionality may be better than the apple watch implemention of a tesla app.

Has anyone tried both apps and confirm that the apple app is better? Is the calendar implementation different for the apple or android? anything else?

Last edited:
I switched from Android to iPhone a few weeks ago (for completely unrelated reasons).
The iPhone app is better at this point. That doesn't mean that things couldn't change in the future, but right now the notifications are unique to the iPhone app. The calendar implementation is the same, as are the rest of the features. In the past with my wife on her iPhone and me on the Android app there were a few instances where she could connect and I couldn't, but I'm not quite sure how to explain that.

Or a 12v accessory to USB adapter. I have an iPhone and still use this because it charges much faster.

I know I read on here (but would be hard pressed to find the thread now) that the USB port closest to the driver provides more power than the one closest to the passenger. I charge my iPhone in the one closest to the driver side and it seems to charge quite fast. I have my USB stick in the other one.

Mike

My Android phone will not charge through the Model S USB port. It requires a driver that the Unix OS does not recognize. I think the iPhone will charge when plugged into the USB port.

My Android phone has no problems charging through the USB ports.
My wife's Windows phone app is defiantly better than the Android app. Except for notifications the Windows app is better than the iPhone as well.

I'm currently using the android app, but was thinking of getting an iphone 6 b/c the tesla iphone app has a few more features than the android one,

but then I came across this Apple Watch vs. Android Wear. Time to Drive Tesla Further | ELEKS Labs which shows that the android wear watch functionality may be better than the apple watch implemention of a tesla app.

Has anyone tried both apps and confirm that the apple app is better? Is the calendar implementation different for the apple or android? anything else?

I think it's a tad bit early to be comparing Apple Watch apps to Android Wear when the Apple Watch hasn't even been made available to most developers. I'm biased but as a developer for both Android and iOS, it's generally much easier to make great iOS apps than Android apps. Given time with an actual Apple Watch I have little doubt that developers will soon make their watch apps better than the Android Wear equivalents.

If you read the article you see that there are inherent limitations in what the Tesla apple watch will be able to do that the android watch will not have.

Thanks. I didn't read it initially but I have now. What I interpret from the article is the developers are more conformable with Android Wear because they have a physical device and they understand how it works. The only real feature they mentioned above Apple Watch is that they can create a custom watch face. BUT, it's non-interactive so that diminishes its usefulness a bit. Overall I still stand by what I said, which is developers have not had a real Apple Watch device to play with. Once that happens many of the perceived limitations go away because they have a much better understanding of what interactions work best on the physical device. You can only glean so much insight into usage patterns from playing with an Apple Watch simulator on your computer monitor.