Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Cancellation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to share some unpleasant experience I have encountered with Tesla Motors.

After I have purchased 2 Model S vehicles (P85+ & P85D) from Tesla and having a 2 year old Model X reservation (low 3000 reservation #), Tesla Motors decided to CANCEL my Model X reservation without asking me.

The response I have received from Tesla was that because I have complained about an issue I had with my 2nd Model S P85D, they decided, I quote "...it's best to part ways."

Do you think this is fair?

Is Tesla Motors discriminating me?

I would appreciate any help if someone can suggest how can I get my reservation back.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I would like to see a photo of the letter you got from Tesla. The entire letter. You quoted five words from it.

And would like to know what communication you have had with Tesla regarding your X reservation before receiving the cancellation letter, as well as the details of your P85D "issue".

You are asking for comments from TMC members regarding how Tesla has treated you but you have provided extremely limited information.

There are always two sides to every story.

Re: I have complained about an issue I had with my 2nd Model S P85D

We would guess there is a lot to the comments above and you must have been "quite a pain" for them to go to this extent? Did you email them with the same large font you started the thread with? Those sort of things can be interpreted in several ways.

There obviously more to this than has been stated, having been in the car business I have "Divorsed" a few customers do to the fact they were never happy about anything. I use to spend 95% of my time on 2% of my customers, so for Tesla to do this we need the more facts as to what happened.

Just peeking at the other posts by the OP (only half a dozen, not hard to do)... those don't give a lot of context regarding the problems with the P85D and the interaction with Tesla... but certainly show a rather negative bias.
The font size for the blind, the lack of supporting information, the lack of context. Hmm. I'm skeptical if we know even 10% of the actual story here. Or if there is an actual story here.
It would be interesting to get a picture of the full letter from Tesla and a summary of the interactions until now.
I know of one case where Tesla cancelled an existing reservation for an owner who had sued Tesla... that's a bit more than having "complained"...

The reservation agreement clearly gives either party the right to cancel the reservation without question. I haven't heard any other reports of Tesla canceling reservations without the buyer's consent, but they certainly reserve the right to do so. The best you can do is convince them to reinstate your reservation, but I don't see legal basis you can stand on.

1) Why did you post EVERYTHING in very large letters?

2) What types of "complaints" did you make about your vehicle aside from the one you mentioned in a post you made four months ago, in which you say you believe Tesla "discriminated" against its customers by not informing them new features would become available that could not be added retroactively, and explicitly said you were planning to file a class action lawsuit and posted your email asking for other people to join you? What other attempts did you make to communicate with Tesla?

3) As best as I can tell, assuming your information is accurate, Tesla isn't discriminating against you. They are simply saying it would in their opinion be best for both parties if they refund your deposit, and cancel the reservation.

I'd like to share some unpleasant experience I have encountered with Tesla Motors.

After I have purchased 2 Model S vehicles (P85+ & P85D) from Tesla and having a 2 year old Model X reservation (low 3000 reservation #), Tesla Motors decided to CANCEL my Model X reservation without asking me.

The response I have received from Tesla was that because I have complained about an issue I had with my 2nd Model S P85D, they decided, I quote "...it's best to part ways."

Do you think this is fair?

Is Tesla Motors discriminating me?

I would appreciate any help if someone can suggest how can I get my reservation back.

Cheers,

You didn't just complain. In January 2015, you indicated you were taking them to court ... and now you're surprised because they don't want to sell you another vehicle? I'm not saying you don't have a right - only saying that if I had a customer saying they were going to sue me, I probably wouldn't want to do further business with them - I'd just wrap up whatever the situation was causing the problem and move on.

I guess I'll go to court to sue Tesla for breach of contract and whatever else we could come up with and see how that will go ... It's just beyond belief how this company operates...

I hope this isn't the wrong time and place for a joke, but I see a person who could have benefited from a bit of unofficial information about new Tesla features... ;)
Too early. Definitely too early
smiley-face-laughing.gif

OP's previous posts:

"My Model S was built around Sept 15th and I paid $140k for it - P85+ with all possible options available at that time. What is pissing me off is that Tesla is simply discriminating certain number of people by hiding ( not disclosing ) the information about the sensors for Autopilot etc enhancements and started including those for no charge to others that have ordered a Tesla exactly like mine!

They knew very well months ahead that they will start including those sensors in the cars starting end of September, but they didn't issue a statement or anything else to new buyers that starting as of XX date cars will be built with some additional options. They could've kept their "secret" to some extend, but at least alert buyers that they have a choice to enter in production later then sooner.

They haven't given us any choice and now I own a car that I paid $140k for and because of this discriminatory and shady practices by Tesla management my car is probably worth way less. Why are you giving the sensors to some people ordering NOT a dual motor, but a regular Model S and not to everybody? That is simply very wrong. Any talks I had today with Tesla service center and their Sales Store didn't help and every Tesla employee is simply stating: "No one told us that this was coming. We were completely unaware as well." That tells me one thing .. Elon Musk and Tesla management is screwing not only their customers, but their employees as well. This is just a bad bad thing they did.

I am open to start a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against Tesla and I will not be shy to spend several hundred thousands dollars to get justice! Some of you may say " just buy the D if you have extra money to spend, but NO I'd rather spend it against Tesla for playing people around!

If anyone is interested in CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT please contact me at montauto at gmail"

and

"Same situation with me ...

Had to figure out by myself that the car Tesla is trying to deliver has the wrong seats ...

My DS asked me to sign the delivery paperwork BEFORE the actual car delivery, because he knew I was going out of town for few days and he used that and a tactic about the Federal tax credit to lure me into signing about delivery without actually having the car there. I signed ..

The other day I returned from my trip and went to the SC. I wasn't aware that Tesla was delivering cars with the wrong seats, because I don't really follow the forums ... No one from Tesla including the DS was mentioning anything to me about my car being delivered with the wrong seats. When I looked up the seats I have immediately noticed that those are the old seats and I questioned the DS. He acted like he doesn't know anything and called a technician to "verify" whether those are next gen seats or not :smile: ... Tech confirmed those are the old seats.

You can imagine my disappointment since I've ordered a P85D for about $150k ( all possible options including child seats and extra set of wheels and winter tires ) and these crooks are trying to scam me by not telling me anything.

I told them, I'm not accepting the car and I want a new one built the way I ordered. They started mentioning that I will lose my deposit bla bla ... Can you imagine .. ?

I left the SC and I contacted my lawyer. She contacted the DS and he is not responding.

Not to mention that I was rushed back in June to order a Model S with my existing reservation for Model X, because Model X has been delayed and no one mentioned to me that a AWD Model S is about to come out in October, so I ordered a P85+ , took delivery end of September and 5 days later Elon announced the "D"... I was shocked, because if I knew I would've waited ...
After bitter conversations with Tesla I traded the car for the P85D with huge loss and now Tesla is screwing me again ...
I like the car, but Tesla totally ruined my entire experience with their company and my new car buying experience ...

I guess I'll go to court to sue Tesla for breach of contract and whatever else we could come up with and see how that will go ... It's just beyond belief how this company operates...

Very disappointed."

You didn't just complain. In January 2015, you indicated you were taking them to court ... and now you're surprised because they don't want to sell you another vehicle? I'm not saying you don't have a right - only saying that if I had a customer saying they were going to sue me, I probably wouldn't want to do further business with them - I'd just wrap up whatever the situation was causing the problem and move on.

A tangent sprang to mind: Could this kind of event actually be a pro-argument for the dealer system? Imagine not being able to buy a product from any company, because they all come from a company.

Not that I'm pro dealer system. :)

Since car manufacturers selling cars through dealerships still get sued on a regular basis, no.

You're thinking about the car manufacturer. I'm thinking about the consumer again. With dealer, you could at least switch dealers if you fall into "disrepair" with one. Will Tesla refuse to serve the guy... forever?

I have no comment on the issue at hand, if anything, the idea just sprang to mind.

View attachment 76189

Removed my personal info from the file.

Attached is the email I have received....

Real quick the story:

Got P85+ in September 2014

Traded P85+ and Ordered P85D in Oct 2014 with Next Gen seats

Received P85D with the old seats without anyone from Tesla to notify me.

Didn't accept delivery and the whole thing started ...

No one from Tesla was able to provide any estimate of when I can get the seats replaced.

Offered resolution to Tesla: Built the car I ordered and paid for, provide rental in the mean time and agree if you fail again to pay $30k liquidated damages.

Tesla refused.

Tesla took back the P85D and on top of that cancelled my Model X reservation.

Now I have electric charger / Wall connector at home, but no Tesla car and I lost lots of money on the trade and on lawyers.