Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't it possible to set cruise control to follow speed limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I understand correctly, there's no way to set the car to drive at the speed limit? Does anyone think this will be added soon? It kind of ruin experience for me, since my commute have a lot of changes in speed :(

Also, it's very annoying that it doesn't take steering wheel position into account when cruising. It's not very smart to accellerate in the middle of a sharp turn :(

If I understand correctly, there's no way to set the car to drive at the speed limit? Does anyone think this will be added soon? It kind of ruin experience for me, since my commute have a lot of changes in speed :(

Also, it's very annoying that it doesn't take steering wheel position into account when cruising. It's not very smart to accellerate in the middle of a sharp turn :(

If you mean to set it to the current speed limit, that's available now (pull "up" and hold for a second, I think?) If you mean for the car to change the setting automatically when the limit changes, I'm sure it's coming "soon."

How soon "soon" is I couldn't say, but I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up along with autosteering in the 7.0 release (theoretically "in three months" - but that's Tesla time.) They demo'd it in the autopilot demo, so it is clearly part of the planned final freeway autopilot solution for the car, whenever that arrives.
Walter

If you mean for the car to change the setting automatically when the limit changes, I'm sure it's coming "soon."
Walter
Yes, that's what I want... :)

If you hold it to resume it will adjust the set speed to the indicated speed limit.

You mean, pull the lever towards me, and HOLD it there for a second or two?

I just checked the owners manual (in My Tesla), and it's not updated with adaptive cruise! :( Last updated in December 2014. Do you have an updated version available?

Last edited:
If you hold it to resume it will adjust the set speed to the indicated speed limit.

You mean, pull the lever towards me, and HOLD it there for a second or two?

That's wrong.

That's only going to set the car to the current speed limit if you happened to have the cruise speed set previously to whatever the speed limit is currently. Pulling the lever towards you just reengages the cruise control at the last speed it was set to. The speed limit does not come into play at all. Sherslick--what made you think it did?

Below are the relevant excerpts from the manual and the TACC release notes.

--
From Manual:
To resume cruising at the previously set speed, briefly pull the cruise control lever toward you. Cruise control resumes only if driving over 17 mph (27 km/h).

From Release Notes:
Other TACC functions—engaging, disengaging, initially establishing a set speed, etc.—remain the same as the previous Model S cruise control.

That's wrong.

That's only going to set the car to the current speed limit if you happened to have the cruise speed set previously to whatever the speed limit is currently. Pulling the lever towards you just reengages the cruise control at the last speed it was set to. The speed limit does not come into play at all. Sherslick--what made you think it did?

It works more or less as Sherstick describes. I do it all the time. If you hold the resume stick for a second or two, it automatically sets to the speed limit (+ whatever adjustment you have set for the alert function). I'm pretty sure it says something in the release notes about this.

It works more or less as Sherstick describes. I do it all the time. If you hold the resume stick for a second or two, it automatically sets to the speed limit (+ whatever adjustment you have set for the alert function). I'm pretty sure it says something in the release notes about this.

Yes, that's exactly what it says:

--
You can now immediately adjust your set speed to the speed determined by Speed Assist. To do so, first check the Speed Assist speed, indicated by the tick mark at the edge of the speedometer. If this speed is appropriate, pull the cruise stalk toward you and hold it for approximately half a second. When you release the stalk, your set speed is the speed determined by Speed Assist, taking into account any OFFSET FROM SPEED LIMIT you’ve set.
--

That's very specifically --not-- setting your speed to the speed limit unless your offset is 0.

Also it's not clear from the notes, and I honestly don't use it enough this way to know if that is only for the initial setting or not, and if subsequent "resumes" just resume to your last set speed or not. But either way, the "pull to set" is going to set to the speed limit + offset, not to the speed limit.

The quick pull reset always goes back to your most recent set point -- it doesn't matter if you set it based on the speed limit or manually.

You confused me with your prior post, but it sounds like we agree that it works to resume to the speed limit if you have it set to do so. I have it set to resume to the speed limit +9mph. It would be nice if it automatically adjusted the cruise when the speed limit changes, but the release notes specifically warn that it will not do so.

The quick pull reset always goes back to your most recent set point -- it doesn't matter if you set it based on the speed limit or manually.

That's what I thought it did, but your post made it sound like it always allowed you to set to the Speed Assist speed, and the manual and release notes combined really aren't clear, so I wasn't sure, though I thought it was the most recent speed. The other reason I wasn't sure is that my offset is 5 MPH, and I usually set my cruise speed to 70 in a 65, which is where I'm doing most of my driving with TACC. So most of the time for me the two would be the same.

You confused me with your prior post, but it sounds like we agree that it works to resume to the speed limit if you have it set to do so. I have it set to resume to the speed limit +9mph. It would be nice if it automatically adjusted the cruise when the speed limit changes, but the release notes specifically warn that it will not do so.

Right. We agree that's what it does. I just don't agree that what Sherslick said was correct. I think it was dangerously misleading. It would only be correct for someone using a 0 offset.

to be clear from the confusion above: there is a way to set the car to drive at the speed limit.

If you want to set the car to drive at the speed limit: pull back towards you and hold briefly to set the cruise to follow the speed limit (
make sure the offset is at zero)
If you want to follow the speed limit plus 5 or 8 (so you aren't going too slow): Adjust the offset to +5 or whatever and follow above.
If you want to resume your last set speed, just pull back and release quickly.

It's pretty simple and it works well.

to be clear from the confusion above: there is a way to set the car to drive at the speed limit.

No, there isn't, but it's great that you just added to the confusion and probably confused a lot more people.

If you want to set the car to drive at the speed limit: pull back towards you and hold briefly to set the cruise to follow the speed limit (make sure the offset is at zero)

That will set the cruise control to the current speed limit. It will not--let there be no confusion about this--NOT--have it follow the speed limit. When the speed limit changes, the speed your car is going will --NOT-- change unless --YOU-- change it.

Here's the relevant excerpt from the 6.1 release notes:

--
When you’re cruising at the speed determined by Speed Assist, the set speed does not change when the speed limit changes.
--

If you want to follow the speed limit plus 5 or 8 (so you aren't going too slow): Adjust the offset to +5 or whatever and follow above.

Please see above. This will set the speed one time, to the speed limit plus the offset, that ONE TIME.

It's pretty simple and it works well.

It may be simple and it may work well, but it doesn't work the way you just told people it did. You really should be careful when trying to clarify what others have written not to be dead wrong.

That's wrong.

So I have not used the +/- limit setting, but my understanding is that this offset is shown via the indication on the speedometer as well. I was mostly noting that you can quickly move your cruise set speed to the indicted limit by holding the control stock in the resume position for a moment.

The original question was if you could have the cruise set speed follow the posted limit (including +/- offset) and what I spoke of being the closest to that function the car has now.

The original question was if you could have the cruise set speed follow the posted limit (including +/- offset) and what I spoke of being the closest to that function the car has now.

No it doesn't.

I really don't know what's hard to understand about this.

You can set the speed once, and it can be to the speed limit plus your offset, so if your offset is 0, it can be to the speed limit. But as the speed limit changes, what you have the cruise speed set to WILL NOT CHANGE. I don't know how much clearer than that I can be. I included the excerpt from the 6.1 manual that said that quite clearly.

I'll try one more time.

You're driving the car on the road. You set the cruise control speed to your speed assist speed which has a 0 offset to the speed limit, so it IS the speed limit. Your cruise speed is now set to the speed limit. Well-done. You keep driving. The car is going the speed limit. The car passes a lower speed limit sign. The car sees the lower speed limit sign. The cruise control is NOT AFFECTED by this lower speed limit sign. The car keeps going at the same speed it was going before you passed the lower speed limit sign.

In other words YOU CAN NOT HAVE THE CRUISE SET SPEED FOLLOW THE POSTED LIMIT. No. Just no.

Sometimes it's best to just put the coffee down and step away from the thread for a while.

It seems that people are assuming this feature (adjust to speed limit signs automatically) has been implemented, since they saw it demo'd during the autopilot "reveal" as part of TACC. Yes, the hands free part was also demo'd, but I would lump speed limit sign recognition/adjusting in with TACC, not autopilot.

I don't have the AP sensors in my car, but I follow this forum heavily, and I was surprised to learn that this feature was not part of what has already been released.

The speed assist absolutely does change the set speed based on changing speed limits. You can see the little tick mark change change as it registers the new speed limit. If you agree with the new speed limit you simply pull the lever back and the car follows the new speed limit.

Sometimes you won't agree with the new speed because it read the sign from an exit or other adjoining road so it is reasonable to require that you confirm the new set speed. But it absolutely does follow and adjust the set speed to changing speed limits.

Here's a good demo of the system for those of us that don't have it or are new to it. He demonstrates the "pull back for half of a second" at the very beginning, which sets it to the last speed limit sign, plus your threshold over the speed limit.

Last edited by a moderator:

If they do eventually implement/allow this, I hope it's an option. After thinking about it for a bit and recalling the kind of driving that happens around here, I would actually prefer to have what we have today. The only time I can see me wanting to enable the option of "follow the speed limit (+offset if relevant)" would be if I'm alone on the road. When driving "manually", I find myself one of the few people that attempts to adjust the speed on the sections of the highway that are under construction, and have a lower posted limit - I'd much rather be predictable than "right". If there are other cars being tracked in front of me, and they all slow down, fine, the ACC will slow me down anyway, I can read the situation and go manual or adjust the speed.

To clarify, there are two different marks on the speedo: the bigger on on the side is the current speed the cruise will follow; the smaller one that is just a single line or a dashed line (showing lower confidence of the speed limit) shows the speed limit determined by the car, as adjusted by your offset. When you want to make the determined speed your speed (for instance after speed limit changes) you simply hold back the lever.

It seemed simple and intuitive and with a reasonable balance of requiring driver confirmation, but i guess that perception is not universal.

bhzmark, I agree with your statement, but that still isn't "automatic" as asked in the opening post or demonstrated prior to production. Ideally, I want the option to make automatic speed limit changes when on long-hauls (for instance, US Hwy 27 has 55-65 speeds for much of it in Florida, but occasionally slows down to 25-45 for a few miles), and no automatic changing (but with the behavior you described) when entering construction areas or lackluster roads.