Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you turn TACC off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, simply don't engage it. Now, if your question really is "can we use traditional cruise instead of TACC on an autopilot car?", then the answer is no (currently). This latter functionality is something many are saying they wished they had, especially users in more inclement weather areas.

Um, simply don't engage it. Now, if your question really is "can we use traditional cruise instead of TACC on an autopilot car?", then the answer is no (currently). This latter functionality is something many are saying they wished they had, especially users in more inclement weather areas.

Thanks Captain Obvious. Simply don't engage it.... Really?

You know what I meant. Thanks for eventually answering it. That should be a feature that can be disengaged. Can't believe that option was overlooked in beta. I was convinced it was buried in a sub menu somewhere that I was missing.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and Barry
Thanks Captain Obvious. Simply don't engage it.... Really?

You know what I meant. Thanks for eventually answering it. That should be a feature that can be disengaged. Can't believe that option was overlooked in beta. I was convinced it was buried in a sub menu somewhere that I was missing.

I'm sure it wasn't overlooked. I'm thinking Tesla chose not to enable it because if someone turned on the non-TACC cruise control and thought they were in the TACC cruise, they probably wouldn't realize it until they were in an accident.

It's possible that Tesla will consider enabling it as an option after 6.2, when the car is supposed to have always active collision avoidance emergency braking anyway.

AFAIK, most cars with adaptive cruise don't allow blind cruise, though I had it pointed out to me that some of them apparently do (the example was an Infiniti.)
Walter

I find the feature quite annoying. It's especially annoying for passengers with the sudden decel and accel. I have the setting at 1 and still find it slows me down as I start to change lanes to pass when it detects me approaching the car in front. Trust me, I am not cutting it close. I leave plenty of room. It also engages as someone starts to merge into my lane (again - I have plenty of room).

At the end of the day you are responsible for the car's operation so I don't see how turning the feature on/off would have any bearing on your chances for being in an accident. It's not like you "set it and forget it". Feature on/off, you still need to be in control of the car.

I actually really like it and use it all the time. Around town and on the highway. Keeps me from creeping up to close because I am always in a rush and slows me down when everybody is driving BELOW the speed limit, which just kills me. So far, no problems with it all, though I am still in learning mode.

One thing it has brought to light to me is how incredibly inconsistent other drivers are on holding their speed. I have always been annoyed by it, but never realized just how often it happens: all the time! Call me a geek (it's been done many times before), but I like to find a consistent speed and stick with it. This up and down 5mph constantly is maddening. So I really like that the car now takes care of that for me.

Last edited:
AFAIK, most cars with adaptive cruise don't allow blind cruise, though I had it pointed out to me that some of them apparently do (the example was an Infiniti.)
Walter

Interesting as all of the cars that I've driven with ACC also allowed you to just use regular cruise control. Some of them took a little more effort than others to toggle but they all allowed it.

I'm kind of upset that you cannot forego the use of TACC in favor of plain old CC... hopefully this will be addressed in a software update at some point.

Disclaimer: I have never used TACC or any type of ACC. when I try it on my Model S, i may decide that it is the best thing EVER! but at this point, I would like the option to have the car maintain a constant speed and have me worry about the traffic conditions.

I'm kind of upset that you cannot forego the use of TACC in favor of plain old CC... hopefully this will be addressed in a software update at some point.

Disclaimer: I have never used TACC or any type of ACC. when I try it on my Model S, i may decide that it is the best thing EVER! but at this point, I would like the option to have the car maintain a constant speed and have me worry about the traffic conditions.

Its probably a good time for you to try it. It's fantastic. IMHO I cannot imagine why you wouldn't use the protection it affords.

Driving an AP1 loaner in stead of my 2013 P85, i was stunned to find out how annoying mandatory TACC is on the crowded roads around Amsterdam. Constantly slowing down/speeding up. I was considering buying a new model S, but no way if i have to give up my favorite feature of dumb CC. After this 2015 topic still no simple toggle available to turn all driver assistance off, Tesla DEV's?

Help me understand this. You guys are wanting CC w/o TACC, meaning it would not brake for you in traffic. How would you use regular CC in traffic?

BTW, the TACC's braking and accelerating has been massively improved over the years, they're pretty smooth now most of the time.

Reactions: bmah
In slow traffic it would be fine, but constantly alternating between 95-105 km/h depending on the car i follow is annoying. I want to set speed to 103km/h (speed limit is 100km/h around Amsterdam), and simply overtake with that speed if possible, not lingering behind a majority of drivers over here who fluctuate their speed.
A toggle to switch off all driver assist features...how hard can it be.

The issue is not if TACC is much improved now, compared to 2015. I don't care, i want a Tesla with CC only. If this is still not possible in 2019 then i know not to buy a new one. That's all. This thread can go cryo now;)

I don't think it's possible now. It was possible up through April simply by not selecting the eAP option package.

But once Tesla made AP standard, all new cars come with TACC.

The issue is not if TACC is much improved now, compared to 2015. I don't care, i want a Tesla with CC only. If this is still not possible in 2019 then i know not to buy a new one. That's all. This thread can go cryo now;)

Probably should get a car now. I suspect that TACC equivalent will start to become mandatory in many countries in the not too distant future. There's just too many accidents that it can prevent.

I no longer feel the same way as I did in 2015. I really enjoy TACC and AP 1.0 and cringed when I saw my post from 2015 was quoted/referenced.

this thread can go cryo now...