Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X mules show signs of a new spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
Compared to the 2012-2013 Model X prototypes (top), there is something odd about the rear spoiler area of the 2015 Model X mule sightings (bottom two).

One of them appear as if with a raised piece beneath the rear window, the second seems to be without this piece but shows cavities under the white wrap, suggesting something was removed from there.

model_x_spoiler.jpg

Merely fitting prototype panels together or is there going to be something (so far unseen) in this area? One idea, of course, would be an auto-raising spoiler:

audi-a7-spoiler.jpg

Of course this could merely signify some static component not yet being there (a fixed spoiler?), or the area being a just work in progress.

Maybe they have extended the back window almost all the way to the end? That would be kinda cool. Don't believe in the pop up spoiler story. A heavy car like this wouldn't need to have a big spoiler if it was driving in normal speeds (less than 155mph).

I'm going with rear glass extending all the way back. Once they take all the disguise wrap off of the glass, I think people will remark at just how much glass the X will have along the top. It will probably feel very open inside with better outward visibility than other SUV type vehicles.

Maybe they have extended the back window almost all the way to the end? That would be kinda cool. Don't believe in the pop up spoiler story. A heavy car like this wouldn't need to have a big spoiler if it was driving in normal speeds (less than 155mph).

I'd expect drag reduction might be the goal of an adaptive spoiler on the X, rather than ultimate grip at megaspeeds.

Good spot! The black mule looks like it has an auto-raising spoiler, and the mountings on the white mule are consistent with 2 hinges and a central piston to raise/lower it.

Maybe this is to keep muck off the reversing camera by changing the air flow at speed ;)

I'm not understanding the need for an auto-raising spoiler on a Model X. On a next-gen Roadster, sure, but it would be a strange thing to prioritize on the Model X.

But there's clearly something there, and I'm not entirely convinced it's simply an extension of the glass. So, what else could it be? I can think of two options:

1. Some sort of mechanism for hidden rear wipers.
2. A ventilation scoop, for funneling fresh air into the back of the car.

I don't see the need for any spoiler at all.

Spoiler = buy downforce for the price of drag.
Well, MX is highly unlikely to need additional rear downforce, as a 2t, AWD, non-racing car. OTOH, MX will need to do absolutely everything to reduce drag, especially at high speeds.

From an engineering perspective, evertyhing speaks against a spoiler.

Well, MX is highly unlikely to need additional rear downforce, as a 2t, AWD, non-racing car. OTOH, MX will need to do absolutely everything to reduce drag, especially at high speeds.

Fair points there. It is possible it's remnants from testing the effects of a spoiler, too. Not necessarily something that will end up in the final product.

The auto-raising spoiler example I linked to is from an Audi A7, not exactly a small (nor light) sportscar that either, but a big, wide a*s four-wheeler. What it shares with Model X is the curvaceous, hatchish backside on a big car.

That said, I'm not convinced the cavities shown on the white-wrapped mule are necessarily hinges for an auto-spoiler at all. They might simply be connection points for some panel or somesuch - or leftovers from some test rig or camo... Just can't tell.

If it is a spoiler, then it probably isn't rising as much as the Audi one, maybe just lifting the tail a little like J1mbo explains. Then again, it may also be a left-over from experimentation with drag etc., and may not appear in the final product.

I don't know what it is (nor have I any insight into its relation to any final product), but I thought I'd point it out. Maybe we can watch this space on future mule sightings.

I mean, there must be something there because certain people immediately went to derail the thread with funny pics. I mean... who'd want SPOILERS of future Tesla launches... ;) ;)

Just kidding, of course, the spoiler pics are funny. Sorry if I was a spoiler.

I'm not understanding the need for an auto-raising spoiler on a Model X. On a next-gen Roadster, sure, but it would be a strange thing to prioritize on the Model X.

But there's clearly something there, and I'm not entirely convinced it's simply an extension of the glass. So, what else could it be? I can think of two options:

Fair point about the rear wiper. The hole in the middle, under the wrap, certainly could be for a rear wiper mechanism...

What do you mean by a ventilation scoop, though?

Sorry, don't think the aero team would allow this. You're creating boundary layer separation and turbulence in one of the most aerodynamically critical regions of the car if you put a scoop in there. Once again bad for drag. Yeah, aero's kinda a killjoy.

Sorry, don't think the aero team would allow this. You're creating boundary layer separation and turbulence in one of the most aerodynamically critical regions of the car if you put a scoop in there. Once again bad for drag. Yeah, aero's kinda a killjoy.
This depends entirely on the actual shape of the scoop. With enough simulations and wind-tunnel testing, it's probably entirely possible to find a solution that works. But I agree it's not the most likely option.

Model S doesn't need a spoiler either, and iirc the original CF spoiler design reduced range by a few %. Not needing one hasn't stopped Tesla from selling one tho...

If this is a adjustable spoiler, I belive it is for cargo holders, like ski rack or other stuff you will put on your hitch.
What about it automatic adjusting when you pulling something or have a ski rack connected, to get best milage possible with whatever cargo behind.
The car measure the energi consuption and adjusting acordingly to get the best number possible.

Occam's Razor

"other things being equal, simpler explanations are generally better than more complex ones"

It seems clear that the "disguise" at the tail gate is "hiding" the rear windscreen portion that goes almost to the edge. As more and more details emerge it becomes clear that the roof section of the Model X will be 90% glass. That should offer an extremely roomy feeling. Little concerned about overall noisiness of that all glass roof. But it will be a first in the industry for an SUV-type car as far as I know.

Bulletproof shield. Also notice machineguns inside lights.

bond-aston-martin-back.jpg