Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Home Charger Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all. i'm picking up my P85D on sunday -- and i can't wait :)

i already have a 2015 porsche cayenne se hybrid. my electrician installed a 220v / 50a circuit in my garage, and i installed (basically plugged in) the nice "charger" that came with my porsche. it uses a 1772 port.

so -- when i discussed with tesla, they told me that i could use the adapter that will come with my tesla and just plug the porsche "charger" into the tesla and everything would work great.

assuming that the porsche charger isn't limiting power between the wall and the car -- what should i "see" in the telsa (either the car or the iphone app) that would indicate that i'm getting all the power possible out of the 220v / 50a circuit?

if the porsche charger limits the power, i already bought the plug that would work with the telsa provided charger in the case i need to use that instead.

thanks so much for the advice!

The 2015 Porsche Cayenne SE hybrid comes standard with a 3.6kWh charger and an optional 7.2kWh is available. I don't know which one you have, but the Tesla UMC is 10kWh and will charge the Tesla faster in either case.

Last edited:
many thanks guys... i'll have the electrician swap out the 6-50 receptacle that i'm using for the porsche with the 14-50 that i'll need to start charging the tesla properly.
At one time Tesla had a NEMA 6-50 adapter available for sale. I got one before my HPWC was installed. You may want to call your service center and see if they have any left in stock. This would allow you to continue to use your existing socket.

sage advice, araxara... i just called, and they had one in stock -- they're going to hold it for me for my pick up on sunday.

That's a good thing - because swapping out a 6-series receptacle for a 14-series receptacle frequently requires running a brand new cable or pulling another wire through the conduit, because 14- requires neutral while 6- doesn't.

By the way, you're lucky - the 6-50 adapters were discontinued. That thing is gold right now. :)

If you're going to pay an electrician to do some work, why not just get a Tesla HPWC? It looks so much sexier than having the UMC lying on the ground. It also allows you to keep the UMC with you in the car at all times. With the price drop of the HPWC to $750, it's a much easier decision than before. If you have dual chargers, this becomes a no-brainer since charging at up to 60 miles per hour is just sweet goodness!

- K

I would unplug the Porsche adaptor and plug the TESLA provided adaptor right into the 50a circuit... why add the inefficiency of two adaptors? Also, the Porsche adaptor may limit the charge rate to one lower than the TESLA can handle... double whammy.

hello all. i'm picking up my P85D on sunday -- and i can't wait :)

i already have a 2015 porsche cayenne se hybrid. my electrician installed a 220v / 50a circuit in my garage, and i installed (basically plugged in) the nice "charger" that came with my porsche. it uses a 1772 port.

so -- when i discussed with tesla, they told me that i could use the adapter that will come with my tesla and just plug the porsche "charger" into the tesla and everything would work great.

assuming that the porsche charger isn't limiting power between the wall and the car -- what should i "see" in the telsa (either the car or the iphone app) that would indicate that i'm getting all the power possible out of the 220v / 50a circuit?

if the porsche charger limits the power, i already bought the plug that would work with the telsa provided charger in the case i need to use that instead.

thanks so much for the advice!

I'm going to be the contrary one on here. The J1772 will plug into both cars, but the Tesla UMC will only plug into the Tesla. If I couldn't have two circuits so that both were plugged in all the time, I'd just use the Porsche one. Switching them back and forth will get old quick. Unless you are putting on a lot of miles, 30a will likely work fine for you. While I don't have a Tesla, I do have a Rav4EV that has the same charger in it and can charge at the same rate, and I use a 30a EVSE. It is quite acceptable, taking about 2+ hours each night to replenish 40+ miles of driving.

The bigger concern is sharing one circuit, which means you will either not charge the Cayenne as often as you should, or you'll find yourself making trips to the garage in the evening to switch the plug from one to the other. Also, will the cable reach both? I'd get a second circuit if it were me.

Last edited:
In older cars, at least, it's a pain to use J1772 because of the lack of a button to open the charge port door. The key fob action (hold trunk down 3 sec) helps now...

Thanks for all the advice, guys. it certainly helped put me at ease before picking up the new car.

as it turned out -- although using the porsche charger would have been very convenient, with it's 3.6kw limitation - and me driving 150+ miles a day, it wouldn't have been a great solution for charging the tesla.

i was able to find a 6-50 adapter, and plugged the tesla charger in -- and i'm getting 240v / 40a to the tesla, which is working out great.

after i leave in the morning, i plug in the porsche so my wife can get some benefit of the whopping 12 miles she gets on the battery :)

Yeah, 16a wouldn't cut it for your Tesla. i didn't realize the Porsche battery was so small. Why not just plug it into 120v, then? That's what I do for my wife's Prius plugin. A full charge on 120v for it is only 1.5 hours, and 240v charging wouldn't speed up the process enough to be worth the hassle of putting in another circuit or even swapping plugs. Even if the Porsche takes 3 hours it will be done before your Tesla is and you move the plug.