Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes on Autopilot Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the brakes on recent cars hydraulic or electric? Thanks

Yes. :)

The braking system is still hydraulic, with the typical dual master cylinder driving conventional disc brakes.

However, the booster is now electric. Tesla appears to be using a version of Bosch's iBooster system - there is an electric motor geared directly to the master cylinder piston, which can apply boost (or apply the brakes without the operator) at any time, using electric power to pressurize the hydraulic fluid in the brake system.
Walter

The new system has several advantages over the old, including:
1. Improved pedal feel. More immediate grip. Not mushy anymore. Feels more BMW, less Lexus.
2. No more vacuum pump, since the brake boost assist is now electromechanical. This means no more vacuum pump sound, which I found loud and annoying.

The new system has several advantages over the old, including:
1. Improved pedal feel. More immediate grip. Not mushy anymore. Feels more BMW, less Lexus.
2. No more vacuum pump, since the brake boost assist is now electromechanical. This means no more vacuum pump sound, which I found loud and annoying.

Yes. :)

The braking system is still hydraulic, with the typical dual master cylinder driving conventional disc brakes.

However, the booster is now electric. Tesla appears to be using a version of Bosch's iBooster system - there is an electric motor geared directly to the master cylinder piston, which can apply boost (or apply the brakes without the operator) at any time, using electric power to pressurize the hydraulic fluid in the brake system.
Walter

Thank you both. That was precisely the type of info I was looking for!