Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reality of the NextGen Seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the regular seats were quite comfortable and likely quite acceptable. However, I tried sitting in the NextGen seats for comparison. Definitely more side bolster support, but I didn't feel much difference under my butt or behind my back.

I've seen many cars with the exaggerated side bolsters like the NextGen's and they've typically shown more wear than regular seats, caused by the in/out rubbing. I've also broken a few cell phone belt clips over the years, when they get caught on the side of the seat. I was careful getting into the NextGen seat, but my phone still managed to bind a little.

So, I'm wondering whether there is any benefit to changing my order to the NextGen seats. I'm thinking they'll be more of a nuisance than they're worth, unless I decide to start slaloming the car...!

Has anyone seen a real benefit to them, beyond 'they look better and fit snugger'? I think I'm happy with the regular ones, but I'd like to hear if there is something I'm missing here!

There are also different types of 'regular' seats. I have the 'regular' performance seats and I find I sit much lower and snug than some of the fleet non performance seats I have sat in when my S has been in for service, so not all 'regular' seats are the same..

I would gather the NextGen seats haven't been out there long enough for people to see whether they are going to suffer abnormal wear from getting in and out of the car! I'll ponder this some more... but I'm wondering if AMPUP's comments relate to changes over time, or an actual variation in current model year 'basic' seats?

Given the lateral forces the Model S is capable of, particularly the Performance version, I've always felt that the original seats were not up to the task. Even Mercedes S Class seats have more lateral support. I sat in Tesla's Next Generation seat for the first time a few days ago, and I will definitely order a pair when they become available as a retrofit for earlier cars.

As for back support, I would tend to trust the seat engineers behind the Next Gen seat. They are actually made for Tesla by Recaro, the performance seat manufacturer who makes the finest car seats in the world, used by Porsche, Ferrari, etc. It mystifies me that Tesla is not touting the Recaro brand as other car companies do. I know that Tesla likes to keep their suppliers' names secret, so that they the option to switch suppliers or bring production in-house, but having Recaro seats in your car is a pretty big deal.

Seats were my last decision before ordering this week. I went to the store and did a test with two cars. I am 6'3" 200# and went back and forth 4 times. The NG seats were very comfortable but offered no wiggle room for the hips and it was not comfortable to draw my feet back toward the seat which I like to do at times....more pressure on the hips.
The stock seats offer plenty of wiggle room but a little less lateral support, and were a bit easier to slip in and out of.
Bottom line.....on a short trip the NG seats would be fine.......but on a 1-2 hour trip I want wiggle room especially with no seat cooling available.
I went with the stock seats.

Given the lateral forces the Model S is capable of, particularly the Performance version, I've always felt that the original seats were not up to the task. Even Mercedes S Class seats have more lateral support. I sat in Tesla's Next Generation seat for the first time a few days ago, and I will definitely order a pair when they become available as a retrofit for earlier cars.

As for back support, I would tend to trust the seat engineers behind the Next Gen seat. They are actually made for Tesla by Recaro, the performance seat manufacturer who makes the finest car seats in the world, used by Porsche, Ferrari, etc. It mystifies me that Tesla is not touting the Recaro brand as other car companies do. I know that Tesla likes to keep their suppliers' names secret, so that they the option to switch suppliers or bring production in-house, but having Recaro seats in your car is a pretty big deal.
Oh, I absolutely know about Recaro! Like the Nardi wheel I have in my Alfa, Recaro is legend in the car world. I didn't know that's what Tesla is using, but the shape and feel certainly support that. They were a comfortable seat, but given that most of my miles will be back and forth to work etc., being able to get in without snapping my phone off my belt may become more important than the lateral stability provided by the seats! I was drawn to them, but I'm not convinced yet that they're a practical alternative... I've got until the 1st to decide without penalty...

- - - Updated - - -

Seats were my last decision before ordering this week. I went to the store and did a test with two cars. I am 6'3" 200# and went back and forth 4 times. The NG seats were very comfortable but offered no wiggle room for the hips and it was not comfortable to draw my feet back toward the seat which I like to do at times....more pressure on the hips.
The stock seats offer plenty of wiggle room but a little less lateral support, and were a bit easier to slip in and out of.
Bottom line.....on a short trip the NG seats would be fine.......but on a 1-2 hour trip I want wiggle room especially with no seat cooling available.
I went with the stock seats.
Interesting comments. You're two inches taller and 20 or 25 pounds heavier than me, but my first thought when I sat down was 'wow, I don't think a wider person would fit in these!'... they fit snuggly for me too and I'm quite skinny. The inability to shift around during a long trip might become an issue for me - I've done in some vertebrae and find a long trip can be uncomfortable.

The next thought I had was that they might be uncomfortably warm, especially in the summer (hot around these parts) when the car has been sitting in the sun. Yes, pre-cooling would help, but the seats would still hold a pile of latent heat.

I'm leaning towards the stock seats...

Still carrying a Blackberry I guess - pretty much no other phone has a belt clip. And only Canucks use Blackberries these days.
LOL, yes, although there are other cases that go on the hip - Otterbox makes them for just about everything.

In spite of all the naysayers out there, it's a solid piece of hardware and does what I need very reliably. I could see going to a Samsung, but in spite of using a MacBook, I don't see myself every joining the lemmings and using an iPhone... :cool:

Looking at the seats in the Design Studio online, the Next Gen seats appear to be thicker or deeper. If this is the case (and it looks quite significant in the pictures), what does this do to rear leg room? My back seat often carries a couple of passengers and they aren't always double leg amputees...!

I'm tall enough that I drive with the seat quite a way back, so rear leg room is already compromised!

I ordered my P85D with next gen seats and it was shipped (12/22/2014) with the standard seats. I'm 6'1" and 190 lbs but have a really bad lower back... surgeries and genetics.

I find the standard seats very comfortable with just the right amount of lumbar support. Easy in and out... My S will be in the service center next week for a couple of minor things and I've requested that the loaner have the new next gen seats so that I can try them out for an extended period. I think that they look great but, for me, fear that they will not be as comfortable as my current seats.

My last car was a 2014 MB S with a gazillion ways to adjust the seats... exceptionally comfortable with a good deal of support. (But more sedan like than sport...) so that's my benchmark.

I'll report back but I'm leaning towards keeping what I have and know feels fine.

For what it's worth, I spoke to the Vancouver store and they informed me that the NextGen seats are NOT made by Recaro, but are 'Recaro-like'. The same adjustments are available on both the standard seats and the NextGen seats and there *might* be some additional support built into the NextGen seats... but mostly it's additional bolstering on the sides. I was told that if I'm planning to go for longer trips, I would very likely prefer the feel of the NextGen seats.

At this point I have the NextGen seats in my configuration. When I sat in them (very briefly) I thought the lumbar support was better, but it could have been the way the seat was adjusted.

I'm thinking that the NextGen seats have an improved look and feel that might be better suited to the value of the car. It's not a Ferrari, but it's not a Bentley either. Two extremes - sport and sedate luxury - and I'd put the Tesla closer to the Ferrari... so perhaps the sportier seats are a good upgrade...

I really can't believe I'm feeling more angst over the seat selection than the car itself! :redface:

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered my P85D with next gen seats and it was shipped (12/22/2014) with the standard seats. I'm 6'1" and 190 lbs but have a really bad lower back... surgeries and genetics.

I find the standard seats very comfortable with just the right amount of lumbar support. Easy in and out... My S will be in the service center next week for a couple of minor things and I've requested that the loaner have the new next gen seats so that I can try them out for an extended period. I think that they look great but, for me, fear that they will not be as comfortable as my current seats.

My last car was a 2014 MB S with a gazillion ways to adjust the seats... exceptionally comfortable with a good deal of support. (But more sedan like than sport...) so that's my benchmark.

I'll report back but I'm leaning towards keeping what I have and know feels fine.
I'm in an E Class and while I doubt that the seats are up to the S Class standard, find them to be pretty good. Again more sedan-like than sport... but so also is the car. The Tesla strikes me as more to the sport side! I'm the same height as you, but 20 pounds lighter. A few broken vertebrae and discs damaged in the process, so really like the proper support as you do. I'm pretty much stuck to make the decision in advance though - LOL!

Agree...had to switch over to an Android to run the app for the Roadster...the BB device is by far the best...

We had the stock seats in our Sig Model S...we ordered the NG in the P85D that replaced it...I like both the feel (performance) and the look of the NG seats better...

LOL, yes, although there are other cases that go on the hip - Otterbox makes them for just about everything.

In spite of all the naysayers out there, it's a solid piece of hardware and does what I need very reliably. I could see going to a Samsung, but in spite of using a MacBook, I don't see myself every joining the lemmings and using an iPhone... :cool:

Agree...had to switch over to an Android to run the app for the Roadster...the BB device is by far the best...

We had the stock seats in our Sig Model S...we ordered the NG in the P85D that replaced it...I like both the feel (performance) and the look of the NG seats better...
I came across a Built for Blackberry app that is intended to duplicate the functions in the 'official' app. I'll see if it works, and will also try the Android version now that I've worked out how to circumvent the Google Play issues that plague apps directly form Google rather than Amazon. Strava has been working properly for me since early last fall, so I know it's *possible*!!

I committed to the NG seats late last night, so that's now a done deal...! Can't drop all those bucks on a car and then cheap out on the seats - LOL