Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why brianman needs a P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
  1. 3.2
  2. 120
  3. 155
  4. 691
  5. AWD
  6. TACC
  7. Insane mode
  8. NextGen seats
  9. Parking sensors
  10. "Comes when called"
  11. Millisecond torque vectoring
  12. Snowmobile drag racing
  13. Missing Cyclones in my Tesla wheels collection.
  14. Ran out of room for track event stickers on Sig.
  15. Need another TDG baseball cap.
  16. Because I don't eat in the Sig.
  17. Because I don't let my girlfriend eat in the Sig.
  18. Because I won't range charge the Sig, and am missing out on the degradation research.
  19. Sig was lonely in the garage.
  20. I need a friends and family test drive car.
  21. Inventory car discount.
  22. No sales tax in WA.
  23. Frunk in the Sig is a little too big.
  24. Saves money at chiropractor, due to free neck adjustments in the D.
  25. Bigger sun visors.
  26. Smaller sun visor stickers.
  27. Carbon Fiber decor in the Sig doesn't match all my wardrobe.
  28. Need a backup in case Sig is still charging.
  29. Two cars at the track is way more fun.
  30. Because the X isn't out yet.

Should I make this a wiki?

And Tesla is working on the plugging, unplugging part. For realz.

Honestly, I don't think this is a terribly difficult problem, especially if the car will self park with millimeter precision in front of the plug.

Depending on how accurate/repeatable the car's parking is, you might be able to have a system that just holds the cord end in place and moves it forward four inches or so on demand (and four inches back to remove.) It would be permanently installed to the garage wall/floor and presumably hardwired into the house.

If the car isn't precise enough in sensing/parking, a multi axis robot to plug/unplug is certainly doable though rather more expensive. The lighted ring around the charge port makes a simple, reliable target for image recognition on a camera system, and the robotics required are well understood.

This is an important thread.

Here are a few more:
31. Black alcantera
32. Aluminum door sill plates
33. Moar bass
34. Less power limiting
35. ++ suspension
36. iBooster
37. Higher res backup camera
38. Who needs spring clips in your drink holders when 16, 17

Keep an eye on 22. It's going away, at least in its current form, June 1. Time waits for no brianman.

Those are all very good reasons. I nearly went for it myself. You won't be unhappy if you do.

At least...not until something else comes along. The Model X reveal may show us a vehicle with everything the Model S has...plus a few things. DaveD may decide to sell his Roadster about the same time an astounding Roadster 3.0 package comes out. Or in 8 months, Tesla may announce a 110kWh pack, with new chemistry that allows greater draw that allows better high-speed acceleration and 150kW charging with less taper, additional Autopilot sensors, LTE with hotspot mode...and then you'll feel bad about trading in your P85D so soon. (While the sales tax waiver will likely be gone, at least then you'll be able to take advantage of trading in a car to get your sales tax reduced). Essentially, Tesla is competing with its future self.

So hard to decide.