Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hanford Nuclear Reservation Tour trip planning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Trying to plan out a trip to Richland to do the Hanford Nuclear Reservation tour. I am checking around on Plugshare but haven't found anything promising. I would like to stay someplace in the area, Richland, Kennewick etc do the tour the next morning then head home. It is about 98 miles to the Ellensburg SC and up hill on the way back, a little closer than I would like to cut it on a single charge.

Has anyone done this trip before? And if so where did you charge at? Any good places to stay/charge at?

Thanks,

Matt.

There are several options. I have helped a few Tesla owners, including a S40 before the EBurg SC existed. Send me a PM and I can ferry you around while your car charges if needed. If you have an 85, then you should be fine with overnight 120 VAC, especially if taking the Hanford bus tour, then you can leave your car plugged in overnight and most of the next day. That said, to save miles, take I-90E, exit right just after Vantage Bridge (26 & 243), take next right (243), pass through the sprawling metropoli of Schwana, Beverly, Mattawa, and Desert Air. Cross Vernita Bridge (now on 240) and continue through the "res," getting a distance look at the B-reactor to your left. This route is 20 miles shorter than I-82 through Yakima (and skips some major hills). Once in Richland, you have several options:
1) 7 KW ChargePoint L2 at BMW dealership, confirmed works on my Leaf (but probably ICEd).
2) 7 KW SemaConnect L2 at WSU which I've confirmed is there, but I don't have an account to check operation
3) a couple of 14-50s at the park (I haven't tried these yet or asked for permission, but they showed up on plugshare, so I'll mention them).
4) 120 VAC plugs at the Hampton Inn and the Courtyard Columbia Point (near Anthony's restaurant).
5) 120 VAC plugs at GESA Credit union (not the best for a traveler).
6) Pasco: 7 KW Blink L2 at Franklin PUD (this thing cuts out a lot, so arrive during business hours in case they need to reset the breaker
7) Pasco: 7 KW at Nissan dealer, only during business hours. They have been ok in years past, but....
8) Kennewick: 7 KW??? ClipperCreek at Perfection Tire, business hours only and must unlock cage.

I have some other options, but don't like to advertise them. Let me know how I can help.

Nicely done @reddyleaf. It is so nice to see the community members helping each other. I have taken trips and it is so nice that we can get advice and help almost anywhere in the country, probably in the world too. I actually contacted some members in Hong Kong.