Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Range Mode" Acceleration on an 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you come to the conclusion that Torque Sleep has anything to do with Range Mode? As far as I know, these two things are not related the way you think they are:

TS: can be active all the time, in any driving mode.
RM: tries to improve range when set by limiting certain power usage of sub-systems like air conditioning...

Why do you come to the conclusion that Torque Sleep has anything to do with Range Mode? As far as I know, these two things are not related the way you think they are:

RM: tries to improve range when set by limiting certain power usage of sub-systems like air conditioning...

From what I've read on these forums, TS is indeed linked with RM. I hope they unbundle these two in a future software update...

I did a search before and found this:

Torque sleep is amazing | Forums | Tesla Motors

where, in about the middle of the page, you can find a post by the user "tezzla.SoCal.us" citing Jerome:

"Torque sleep and improved range for Dual Motor vehicles is included in versions 2.2.139 and later regardless of the selected Range Mode setting. However, the amount of this improvement will be increased by enabling Range Mode which has other vehicle control modifications in addition to the HVAC behavior."

To me, that seems logic: It is possible to use the Torque Sleep mode in both driving modes. That is also backed up by the users experiencing range increases in normal drive mode after installing the TS update. Maybe they use different parameters for it in the two modes, yes. Let's say "TS, biased to maximum acceleration" in normal mode, and "TS, biased to maximum efficiency" in range mode. The one does not exclude the other. Once you get a system like TS working, there's no reason to keep it off while in normal mode - the system's goal is to work undetectable, despite of the energy usage. Whenever you cruise at a constant speed, it makes sense to TS one engine. It would even be stupid not to do so. AND useless.

I think the sole reason that torque sleep is tied to range mode currently is because it is new and Tesla wants to gather more real-world data before it gets turned on permanently. There was already a bug found in one of the 6.1 releases with torque sleep that would cause the car to open the contactors and lose power after spirited acceleration. The fix is already out, but the short term "circumvention" was to not use range mode. Sounds prudent for torque sleep to have, at first, an "off mode" while they verify real world experience matches lab expectations.

What is torque sleep? Is it part of the Creep mode?

Nothing to do with creep mode. Creep mode makes the car feel like an automatic in that it wants to move when stopped unless you continually brake. Torque sleep lets the rear motor idle during times of low power demand. I'd guess that by the way the say it (a couple of posts above) that in range mode the threshold for sleeping (power demand level) is different than when range mode is turned off.

From the contextual help in the car: "Range Mode will save energy by reducing climate control power. It will also distribute torque between the motors to improve range. "