Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D : The chrome window trim on the front isn't aligned with the trim on the rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a big deal, but i've just noticed that on the car :
1891348_10205420930235110_4247979583384982731_o.jpg
11082269_10205420931115132_5317832352956764543_o.jpg

Anyone else?

I came from a GM with gaps so large you could drive a Model S through them.

I don't think you have an issue... Keep in mind they've been making these all of 2 years? 3?...

I knew going into it, it wouldn't be perfection, but overall I'm happy with it. Just get in it and punch the go pedal :)

That's a bummer with such a large chrome contrasting strip. Have you spoken with the SC?

Not yet but we will!

- - - Updated - - -

I came from a GM with gaps so large you could drive a Model S through them.

I don't think you have an issue... Keep in mind they've been making these all of 2 years? 3?...

I knew going into it, it wouldn't be perfection, but overall I'm happy with it. Just get in it and punch the go pedal :)

i agree but you expect perfection from a very expensive thing. On the other hand Its of course an amazing beast.

My driver's door chrome trim was off alignment also and the door did not close as easy as the other doors.
SC checked it and confirmed that the driver's door did look a little low.
Car had to be sent to a Tesla approved body shop for realignment. They will fix it but beware that sometimes when
it's realigned, other parts of the door gap might change also. Luckily it didn't happen to me.

When I took delivery of my P85D I saw the same thing as the OP. My 2012 doesn't have this issue. I wandered around the SvC and looked at half a dozen D's in delivery prep: all had the same misalignment of the chrome strip on the left side, but not the right.

Now, how's that for professionalism!?! I mean, I'd do the same thing, but I'm not a car mfr.

It took about six times to get mine right. Simply moving it up or down won't stay once you put the windows up and down a few times. They ended up jamming a thread of weedwacker twine up in there and it's staying pretty firm for about a week.

I've been less than impressed with some of the "fixes" from corporate. Run your hands along the headliner up by the front of the pano roof and feel the foam weather stripping from Home Depot. I swear, if this was Lexus, someone would have committed hara-kiri by now....

I know, I know, some of us would argue that it works. But there is a certain amount of aesthetics that should be expected in a car of this class.

Take 'er back and make them fine tune. I had misalignment also, though different. I was able to fix it myself with very minor tweaking. Though I just noticed that the chrome strip under the driver's door is out of whack. That I will need them to look at.

I agreed. I had some misalignment as well. After taking delivery in September 2014 on my 85...first day i notice the areas which were off, not align, gaps...first was the driver side front door & rear door chrome trim...this took one session to get the repair. Next was the passenger hood & fender gaps. It took 2 sessions at the SC. 3rd was the passenger side front bumper right underneath the headlamp...bumper is protruding, not flush w/headlamp...this maybe affected after the hood & fender repair...this took one session but was not completely repair but I'll live w/ it. Lastly, the rear driver bumper where it meets the quarter panel has a gap...this took one session to repair.

Buying this car in tbis class i expect close to perfect but overall i am happy i get the chance to owe this car.

When I took delivery of my P85D I saw the same thing as the OP. My 2012 doesn't have this issue. I wandered around the SvC and looked at half a dozen D's in delivery prep: all had the same misalignment of the chrome strip on the left side, but not the right.

When you say left side you do mean driver's side, right? I only ask because I just checked my P85D, and my misalignment is on the other side--the passenger side, which I would refer to as the right side.

Assuming we are using the same terms for left and right, I'm guessing that perhaps they get batches wrong in the same way, so the batch you saw at the service center was all wrong the same way, and somewhere else there are a bunch of other cars like mine, with the misalignment on the passenger side.

My P85D is off on the driver's side (but not passenger's side) in exactly the same way as the OP. However, although I'm too lazy to walk down to my car to confirm right now, I believe the passenger's side is not without flaw though. It's just that the misalignment appears at the edge by the "front of the front door" rather than the "back of the back door" if that makes any sense. :S

It definitely irritates me every time I walk up to the driver's side of the car, but I thought it was just me being overly anal about these sorts of things.

Also, speaking of being overly particular about things... the way the rear smaller "fixed positon" windows don't sit flush with the front and read door windows kinda drives me up the wall a little bit too. ;)