Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What category of car did your Tesla replace?

What type of car did your Tesla replace?

• Sports or Luxury

Votes: 120 43.8%
  • Efficient Hybrid (>40mpg)

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • Other Hybrid (<40mpg)

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Truck/SUV

Votes: 36 13.1%
  • Plugin Vehicle (BEV or PHEV)

Votes: 20 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 45 16.4%
  • None, did not sell/trade another vehicle.

Votes: 28 10.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zythryn

Custom Warming Stripes wrap.
Mar 18, 2009
Minnesota
I was having a conversation with someone about how many hybrid sales are being lost to plugins.

I know of a lot of owners that have come from a wide variety of cars. I could not, however, find a poll on the subject, so thought I would ask here.

Feel free to add any details about the specifics or mpg of the replaced car, and thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Definitely a hybrid substitute here. My previous car was a Prius v. I really wanted a plug-in hybrid before, but couldn't find a suitable one when I bought the Prius. The Mitsubishi Outlander plug-in sounded really good, but it kept getting delayed for a US release and still isn't available here even now. No non-hybrid was even on the radar. I test drove a few during that last car-buying round, but none of them really impressed. The Model S was always the dream, though, and when I got to where I could afford it I went for it.

Sports AND Luxury for me. The Tesla is replacing a Cadillac CTS-V wagon. It's a fantastic car, but I put a hell of a lot of mileage on it and I'm looking to cash in on its lack of depreciation before the mileage kills it. Plus, the Tesla has more cargo capacity when the frunk is included, and isn't that far off from a performance standpoint. Win win for me.

It replaced my Jeep Wrangler that I heavily modified, went from a 14 mile round trip commute to work to a 84 mile... That Jeep was a beast in the mountains though

Havnxg8.jpg

IF I spring for the Tesla, it replaces a BMW 540iT, (V8 powered Station Wagon with M-sport suspension). The Tesla meets or exceeds all the room, capacity, speed and luxury of the BMW, which already was a very practical vehicle (I'm not a SUV person). For a 16 year old car with 155K miles, it still does a very good 20 mpg average and 24 mpg on the highway.

When delivered, it will replace a 2009 Mercedes E-Class bluetec diesel. Great car, great fuel economy, amazing performance (0-60 in 6.6 seconds) and very comfortable. I was ready to make the down payment on the S85D, but hadn't quite done it... until I got into what will be my last scrap with the local Mercedes dealership. I came home from the service counter and put down the deposit. The last bit of pressure on the trigger, the straw that broke the camel's back... however you want to paraphrase it, I just don't see myself dealing with those guys year after year. I don't think it's possible for Tesla to be any worse, so what do I have to lose?

I would have made the commitment within a day or two anyway I believe, but those guys sealed the deal. Thanks Kamloops Mercedes dealership who will remain unnamed - Ha!