Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla in adelaide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am seriously considering buying a Tesla but with no immediate plans by tesla for superchargers in or around Adelaide, I am concerned about being "adelaide-locked". Would be interested to hear how other adelaIde tesla owners are managing.

Am seriously considering buying a Tesla but with no immediate plans by tesla for superchargers in or around Adelaide, I am concerned about being "adelaide-locked". Would be interested to hear how other adelaIde tesla owners are managing.

Hi JJ

I would strongly urge you to buy a Tesla and not worry about being "Adelaide-locked" for a number of reasons:

1. I assume you do most of your driving in and around Adelaide. That means 95% of your driving can be done without superchargers. In my kind of warped maths brain, I think of it as 95% Tesla happiness vs 0% Tesla happiness if you don't get one :D

2. There are 3rd party mobile charger options available that will allow you to take an extended road trip outside of Victoria. I've met a guy who does trips to SA from Melbourne because he has a mobile charger.

3. As meloccom said if you can get businesses interested in destination charging it would help you. Tesla are pretty good at providing you support with that kind of stuff.

4. With Simon Hacket being in SA I wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide was next on the list for SCs

And also - all of us who have taken the plunge are just happier every day because of it.

Timpoo, where does that guy who travels from Melbourne to SA plug-in? I'd love to take the car to Adelaide for a visit. It would be great to see a destination charging wall connector put in a motel about half way between Melbourne and Adelaide (maybe in Nhill?).

I've got a D on order (I wish I'd stayed with the P85+ order but that's another story). I'm relaxed about the lack of superchargers as I wouldn't use them anyway, preferring to charge at home. The lack of service centre is a greater concern but I'll live with that. If the September deadline gets bumped further, I'll probably cancel my order just to punish Tesla. I'm an early adopter - if you can't deliver early, I don't want you.

Timpoo, where does that guy who travels from Melbourne to SA plug-in? I'd love to take the car to Adelaide for a visit. It would be great to see a destination charging wall connector put in a motel about half way between Melbourne and Adelaide (maybe in Nhill?).

I'm not sure where they plug in but because they have a mobile connector they just stay somewhere within range, charge up overnight, then make it to Adelaide. That's my understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a D on order (I wish I'd stayed with the P85+ order but that's another story). I'm relaxed about the lack of superchargers as I wouldn't use them anyway, preferring to charge at home. The lack of service centre is a greater concern but I'll live with that. If the September deadline gets bumped further, I'll probably cancel my order just to punish Tesla. I'm an early adopter - if you can't deliver early, I don't want you.

I think charging at home is definitely the go.

But mate even if they deliver after September you're still going to be an extremely early adopter of the D.

I'm not sure where they plug in but because they have a mobile connector they just stay somewhere within range, charge up overnight, then make it to Adelaide. That's my understanding.

I was looking at the Melbourne-Adelaide route for fun and I can't see anything much between Horsham and Adelaide as an overnight destination. Is anyone familiar with that area that knows of somewhere suitable within striking distance of Adelaide/McClaren Vale etc? An 85 can probably do Horsham-Adelaide in one hop at a stretch but a 60 can't.

I share your frustration mhh. I am in fear each day that the Sept order will be bumped again.... Once bitten, twice shy. What really bugs me is the lack of communication from Tesla as to what was the real reason for the hold up. Without supplying us with that answer leads one to thing that there is no good answer. For example, they don't say, "the RHD dual cars requires us to build a different assembly line which will be completed in August with deliveries to start September." That could be shown to be untrue. But silence sounds like, "it's not currently worth our trouble switching over to RHD yet because there aren't enough orders yet...but our bean counters tell us that by September....could be worth it then..."

I was looking at the Melbourne-Adelaide route for fun and I can't see anything much between Horsham and Adelaide as an overnight destination. Is anyone familiar with that area that knows of somewhere suitable within striking distance of Adelaide/McClaren Vale etc? An 85 can probably do Horsham-Adelaide in one hop at a stretch but a 60 can't.

I have stayed at the Midway Motel in Kaniva, about 50km from Nhill on the Melb/Adelaide hwy 03 5392 2515, nothing flash but neat and clean. My daughter & husband have bought a shop in Kaniva, (floor & decor) next door to the tourist information centre which also serves food. A community roadhouse also serves food. The pub in the middle of the street has schnitzel night Thursday. Anyway it is about 315km from Adelaide if that's any help.

Last edited:
I share your frustration mhh. I am in fear each day that the Sept order will be bumped again.... Once bitten, twice shy. What really bugs me is the lack of communication from Tesla as to what was the real reason for the hold up. Without supplying us with that answer leads one to thing that there is no good answer. For example, they don't say, "the RHD dual cars requires us to build a different assembly line which will be completed in August with deliveries to start September." That could be shown to be untrue. But silence sounds like, "it's not currently worth our trouble switching over to RHD yet because there aren't enough orders yet...but our bean counters tell us that by September....could be worth it then..."
It really is no different to what we went through with the Sigs. we were put off time and again. The original delivery date got pushed out eventually by over a year!!! The difference now, is that at least Tesla has a concrete presence in the country which it did not have then, which made it all the more frustrating!!!

I have stayed at the Midway Motel in Kaniva, about 50km from Nhill on the Melb/Adelaide hwy 03 5392 2515, nothing flash but neat and clean. My daughter & husband have bought a shop in Kaniva, (floor & decor) next door to the tourist information centre which also serves food. A community roadhouse also serves food. The pub in the middle of the street has schnitzel night Thursday. Anyway it is about 315km from Adelaide if that's any help.

Thanks brewstermac! Another alternative that occurred to me was Murray Bridge which might be good for a few hours stopover then on to the Adelaide Hills at least (wineries! :) ) So Melb/Horsham/MB/AH doable with a 60.

Hi Brewstermac. Does your family still have the shop in Kaniva? Kaniva is now almost exactly half way between Adelaide and the Ballarat SC making it ideal for a pitstop on the Adelaide to Melbourne route. Would the tourist centre be interested in putting in a destination charger? I know the Keith and Horsham SC are coming in 2017 (Tesla time) but i think in the mean time you would see quite a few Tesla's making the 6 hr - 8 hr stop and spending their money in the community. When the SC are up and running in Keith and Horsham you might see even more traffic and it might make a good stop for those looking to grab a few kwh with their lunch or overnight between Adelaide and Melbourne.

Hi Brewstermac. Does your family still have the shop in Kaniva? Kaniva is now almost exactly half way between Adelaide and the Ballarat SC making it ideal for a pitstop on the Adelaide to Melbourne route. Would the tourist centre be interested in putting in a destination charger? I know the Keith and Horsham SC are coming in 2017 (Tesla time) but i think in the mean time you would see quite a few Tesla's making the 6 hr - 8 hr stop and spending their money in the community. When the SC are up and running in Keith and Horsham you might see even more traffic and it might make a good stop for those looking to grab a few kwh with their lunch or overnight between Adelaide and Melbourne.

Hi BenT, I did look into getting a dc placed in Kaniva, about 12 months ago (just from the community standpoint) but nothing came of it unfortunately. However, if there was the possibility of a dc being useful even after Horsham and Keith get their Supercharges I'll give it another try. Yes they still have the shop which is next door to the Tourist Information/food shop. I should check on the availability of 3phase in town while I'm at it. Recovering from surgery atm so may be sometime before I get to Kaniva.

Reactions: BenT