Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roof Style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

breser

AutoPilot Nostradamus
Aug 28, 2014
North Bend, WA
A recent update to the Android App had the following changelog:

Support for new car paint colors and roof style

Today while looking for some other images I took apart the APK and while looking through the images I found this image named roof_glass.png and with a March 2nd date:

roof_glass.png

This is distinctly different from the existing images which have Jan 26th dates:

sunroof_closed.png
sunroof_closed.png

sunroof_open.png
sunroof_open.png

sunroof_vent.png
sunroof_vent.png

Note that the closed image has an indention to show the two pieces of glass.

So based on this I believe that Tesla will start offering a glass roof that does not open. This probably gives people that want the taller roof and additional light of the pano roof but don't want the cost and risk of a sunroof an option. I'd imagine it will also be cheaper.

Cool! Thanks for pulling out that picture. The roof has been, I think, the toughest decision. The metal roof is cheaper and more reliable (and I'm all about cheap and reliable); but the glass roof gives you more rear headroom - that's the key point I think; of course it also gives you more light in the cabin, another option for fresh air, and having the roof rack anchor points. This could be a really nice choice in the middle, especially if it too has the anchor points.

If I buy another S, that's the option I'm going for. (Assuming the price is somewhere in the middle too). I really like the removable top on my Roadster, but the sunroof opening on the Model S just hasn't been that big of a deal.

Last edited:
Nice find! Even if this is a middle of the road cost option rather than a no-charge replacement for the black roof top they took away, I would get it. I'm another person who would get the pano not to ever open it, but to lighten up the black headliner I want and add headroom.

I don't think they would make a new roof style with the glass panels the exact size and shape of the opening panoramic room.
Why not? I it would keep the roof lining identical, reducing costs.

This would be a great option and I would order it easily over a Pano roof. I never open my other sunroofs, I don't need an openable pano roof that can leak, is noisier, etc, when I never ever open it.

I'm wondering if they aren't planning to make the glass roof standard and eliminate the metal roof entirely. A lot of their changes lately have been driven by reducing differences. It'd eliminate 3 different parts for the headliner (2 alcantara coverings and the cloth covering). Might have impacts on the paint shop setup too.

A solid, non opening glass roof would be my ideal choice as well. I like the extra headroom and open feeling the pano roof provides, but almost never open it. The squeaks, rattles and wind noise are a constant nuisance.

I'm wondering if they aren't planning to make the glass roof standard and eliminate the metal roof entirely. A lot of their changes lately have been driven by reducing differences. It'd eliminate 3 different parts for the headliner (2 alcantara coverings and the cloth covering). Might have impacts on the paint shop setup too.

I could totally see Tesla making this argument if they make such an announcement. There are sure to be a ton of outcry, but it wil run along the lines of production simplification via fewer variations in parts, and "enhance" the experience of those who opt not to have the moonroof. I'm sure there will be an outcry, but Tesla has shown before they will go minimalist do what they feel is the best design experience within that minimalist mandate.

Personally, I would LOVE to have this as a no-cost option. If it costs $1,500, then I my still jump to the pano. In between, I may just pay for this option.

I don't see any reason the headroom needs to diminish with the metal roof. I think it is just a visual thing for Tesla. The glass roof gives credibility to the massive center brace and they simply elevate the headliner in front and behind it. With out the glass, the same thing can and should be done, but the center brace will now seem more intrusive. The somewhat weird interior roof line will not affect sales in total, but would eliminate the hit those of us take with the metal roof. I had a Pano on my first Tesla and it creates significant wind noise. I went with a metal roof for my soon to be delivered 85D. I'm not happy about the rear head room loss, but the noise level will be down and the roof will not lift above 85 mph any longer. For those worried about heat and UV, the glass roof is amazing and probably not much hotter than thin metal. Tesla clearly uses special glass treatment with significant heat and sun blocking abilities. Very nice for a sunroof, but I just don't like the added wind noise. For a car with such a low drag coefficient, the Model S makes a ton of wind noise. My 12 year old Lexus SUV is significantly quieter in that regard from 40 mph on up. I'm hoping the 85D is improved over my early 2013 model.

I could totally see Tesla making this argument if they make such an announcement. There are sure to be a ton of outcry, but it wil run along the lines of production simplification via fewer variations in parts, and "enhance" the experience of those who opt not to have the moonroof. I'm sure there will be an outcry, but Tesla has shown before they will go minimalist...
Why would there "be an outcry"? I see no negatives to such a standard roof style except maybe in cold winter climates it wasn't quite as warm.

If it was properly tinted and had some thermal insulation I think it would be awesome.