Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange bump in range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi everyone!

I just noticed a strange increase in range that I had never seen before. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this or might be able to replicate?

I live in Arizona, so it's in the 80s right now. My garage was in the mid-70s each time this happened. A few days ago, I charged my car to 90%. The display showed 230 rated miles. While the car was plugged-in, I pre-conditioned the car to cool down the interior cabin. I pre-conditioned for about 30 minutes. After unplugging and getting back into the car, the range had magically increased to 233 miles!

I repeated this yesterday. Car said it had 230 miles of range. I pre-cooled the interior cabin for about 20 minutes while plugged-in, and afterward the range increased to 233 miles. I didn't think that pre-conditioning when ambient temps are in the 80s would have a positive impact on range. I don't remember seeing this behavior last year when the weather warmed up.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I just noticed a strange increase in range that I had never seen before. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this or might be able to replicate?

I live in Arizona, so it's in the 80s right now. My garage was in the mid-70s each time this happened. A few days ago, I charged my car to 90%. The display showed 230 rated miles. While the car was plugged-in, I pre-conditioned the car to cool down the interior cabin. I pre-conditioned for about 30 minutes. After unplugging and getting back into the car, the range had magically increased to 233 miles!

I repeated this yesterday. Car said it had 230 miles of range. I pre-cooled the interior cabin for about 20 minutes while plugged-in, and afterward the range increased to 233 miles. I didn't think that pre-conditioning when ambient temps are in the 80s would have a positive impact on range.

I don't remember seeing this behavior last year when the weather warmed up.

Did you turn range mode on? I have seen a bump of a few rated miles when I turn on range mode and the battery is almost, but not completely, full.

I had noticed something similar with my Volt when I left it turned on overnight while plugged in (I was loading a USB full of music onto the media drive) and in the morning I had several "extra miles".

It was explained by someone that using electricity (car turned on) while plugged in may have put it into some deficit/charge cycle that ended up slightly upcharging beyond the preset limit.

No idea if such a thing would apply here also.

Hi everyone!

I repeated this yesterday. Car said it had 230 miles of range. I pre-cooled the interior cabin for about 20 minutes while plugged-in, and afterward the range increased to 233 miles. I didn't think that pre-conditioning when ambient temps are in the 80s would have a positive impact on range. I don't remember seeing this behavior last year when the weather warmed up.

Not sure why this would happen, but just want to point out that when using regen downhill, range is bumped up in 3 RM increments. It's possible you may be very close to the borderline of 230 and 233 and your climate adjustments are enough to change the calculated range measurement while using a negligible amount of energy.

Where does 90% charge normally get you on range? I'm thinking that if the answer to that question is 233 then perhaps when you kicked on the climate control it also started charging again and replenished the 3 miles it had previously lost to vampire drain?

I had noticed something similar with my Volt when I left it turned on overnight while plugged in (I was loading a USB full of music onto the media drive) and in the morning I had several "extra miles".

It was explained by someone that using electricity (car turned on) while plugged in may have put it into some deficit/charge cycle that ended up slightly upcharging beyond the preset limit.

No idea if such a thing would apply here also.

A long time ago, the range calculation would add 3 miles if the HPWC/UMC was engaged, but that was fixed in 5.x.

I suspect it's just because things "warmed up".

Hi everyone!

I have this happening now too. It also happened to my car same time last year and the year before.

Where does 90% charge normally get you on range? I'm thinking that if the answer to that question is 233 then perhaps when you kicked on the climate control it also started charging again and replenished the 3 miles it had previously lost to vampire drain?

My normal 90% charge level is between 228 miles and 230 miles. Whenever this happened, I confirmed that the car said 230 miles on the display. Pre-conditioning and returning to the vehicle occurred within an hour of charge completion, so the 230 miles of range was accurate because it was noted at charge completion.

Did it again today... charged to 90% at 230 miles. Came back to VisibleTesla and turned on pre-conditioning. Almost instantly, the range jumped by 3 miles and the SOC showed 91% instead of the previous 90% even though all charging had been stopped and the charge slider was set to 90%. Looks like a calculation error?

Did it again today... charged to 90% at 230 miles. Came back to VisibleTesla and turned on pre-conditioning. Almost instantly, the range jumped by 3 miles and the SOC showed 91% instead of the previous 90% even though all charging had been stopped and the charge slider was set to 90%. Looks like a calculation error?

I saw this a number of revisions ago, as I mentioned above. When the power from the HPWC or UMC is turned on, either due to charging or preconditioning, the range goes up by 3 miles or so. Immediately after switching off, the range goes back down (about 30 secs or so). See if it returns once you turn preconditioning off.

I saw this a number of revisions ago, as I mentioned above. When the power from the HPWC or UMC is turned on, either due to charging or preconditioning, the range goes up by 3 miles or so. Immediately after switching off, the range goes back down (about 30 secs or so). See if it returns once you turn preconditioning off.

Maybe the battery voltage goes up just a tiny bit when the charger is online?