Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go with P85D or essentially new S85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put a deposit on a inventory car S85D that is loaded with every option, except 21's and Rear jump seat. Car has a 111k sticker with the discount it drops it down to 106K before the tax credit. This car only has 100 miles on it, no demo rides no mall tours and its a 2015 VIN with high end # (76XXX) so a basically a new car.
They also have 2014 P85D that has a 12K discount, which brings it down to price of 118K.. this car has over 2k miles and shows some wear on the interior.. none of which will be replaced, car is "AS IS".

The extra power is amazing, but extra range would be more useful... What would you do?

ImMy S85D was 108k with every option except exec seats, jump seats and 21s. I missed out on the new seats in my car.

Otherwise though I have no regrets on my car and don't miss the extra speed from the P85D. All else being equal, save some cash and go with the S85D.

I think I am dead set on 85D, newer model year and a essentially new car more or less seals the it for me.
Ive driven both and the 85D is no slouch, its pretty damn fast.. I think the novelty of P85D would wear off and I miss having the extra range.
10 years ago it would be the P85D hands down, back then the traffic was not so bad in my area and you could actually use the power.
Yesterday my average speed on my drive home was 30mph :(

I had a E63 (2007) M6, bought it new without ever driving it. It as a blast to drive and hard to resist launching it more often than not, but the fun got old. Getting 9mpg and having to fill up after 180 miles sucks.
I know the 85D has a lot less power than the P85D, but it still feels insanely fast to me.

if the P85D was a 2015 VIN I wouldnt be even considering the S85D, 12k discount is great but the car is a year old in the eyes of a normal car buyer.
None of the P85D demo cars with a 2015 VIN have a decent discount, I think the highest is 1800. Which makes sense, why discount the freshest ones when you are sitting a few old ones.

You list the two cars being $12k difference -- for cars that would normally be $20k difference -- but you aren't mentioning the options on the P85D. I'm guessing it doesn't have the laundry list that the 85D offers. For me the price premium for even the cheapest P85D over 85D just isn't worthwhile. As others said above, bragging rights is really what you get. There will reach a point where you'll have shown off the car to all your friends/family, and the 0-60 launch days will be done and over. At that point, you'll have diminished range capabilities, and only marginally better passing power on the road. In truth those tenths of a second will be rather small, so-- are those worth $12k or more to you?

For me the inventory deals on even the nicest P85D vs 85D wasn't enough to justify. I'm snagging an 85D in the next 48-hours that came in from Chicago just for me. It is neither fully loaded, no a discount that is $10k.... but for $6500 off, and the 85D is still no slouch, and being a 2015, it offers the best all around option. There is no way I'd buy a 2014 car in 2015 --- my wife has a 2014 S 60 inbound for her to LEASE-- that is a different story, as it isn't our car after 3 years--- but if you are buying a "left over" from the prior year, the discount better be HUGE!... and the car better be perfect... no wear / tear... and everything you want and then some... :)

If you are asking the question and are even hesitating to pass on the P85D, you should get the S85D. I would too except I am a nut and I HAVE to have the Performance monster. If you are not infected by that virus, stay back from me and get the other one and save bucks! Also, the S85D is essentially brand new, while the P85D has some wear. Buying a P85D over a 85D is not a rational decision.

I wouldn't take either! For a bit more you can get a NEW P85D exactly like you want. I was in your shoes and for me, once you are in 100k territory you better get exactly what you want and have no regrets later, now, if you want the 85D, then the inventory car kind of works, assuming you would've picked those exact options. Why give up choice to save a few bucks when you are already deep in the hole. That's my two cents.

if the P85D was a 2015 VIN I wouldnt be even considering the S85D, 12k discount is great but the car is a year old in the eyes of a normal car buyer.
None of the P85D demo cars with a 2015 VIN have a decent discount, I think the highest is 1800. Which makes sense, why discount the freshest ones when you are sitting a few old ones.

You are lucky. There are no in stock Teslas in Seattle at all!

What, to you is the most important factor in the car? It is electric; electrics do not drop torque like bad piston rings in an ICE. So the launches from demos may cost a little battery life, but the car itself should be fine.

If you spent the money, would you be taking from a retirement fund you may die prior to spending fully, or will you not be eating for the next month?

For me, the decision was to spend a little more, and have The. Best. Car. Ever. Beats everything else out there way up to $700+K cars- on performance, "green" factor (for lack of better term, still 89MPGe, ask the Hellcat owners what they get.), safety, carrying my family and our stuff (vs a 2 seater, etc), tech wow factor (I work in the tech industry), etc etc etc. I don't need to prove anything to anyone, it just wins. (That is, until the P115D or whatever is next) Yes, I may not ever need it, but if I died today, I would have zero regrets.

You don't have to use it. Just lay back with the Tesla smile on your face, it's there if you need it someday. The money was worth it to not have any regrets or fears thereof. But that's me.

This issue for me isnt money difference, its the model year.
P85D 2014
S85D 2015 and a high VIN #.

If the P85D was a current VIN like the S85D, hands down Id get it. There are 2 P85Ds with 2015 VINs and neither had a any discount..
The way I see it is the discount on the 2014 P85D is just covering the one year depreciation, not the wear/tear and mileage.

I disagree with this. The only 2014 P85Ds in existence were delivered starting the last two weeks of 2014. They are functionally the same as early 2015 models. Only the VIN is different. Look at the mileage. It's the only thing that matters in this comparison.