Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Power Switch and Power Supply" proactive replacement on D-pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
So, just got this email from Tesla that some others have gotten previously:

As part of providing peace of mind and a great ownership experience, Tesla vehicles are equipped with telematics systems to provide remote diagnostics support. We have been notified this vehicle has been remotely diagnosed that the Power Switch and Power Supply would benefit from the latest generation components.

(They didn't say which car, the P85 or P85D... assuming P85, P286xx)

Admittedly, I haven't been keeping tabs on this particular issue since it seemed to be limited to A/B pack folks... so I was surprised to see this. My fiance's P85 has a D-pack and my P85D has an E-pack.

I've emailed them back for clarification.

(I couldn't find the other thread I saw about this email, I tried. Mods feel free to merge me in if it makes sense)

Last edited:
My A-pack contactors were on the replacement list, but I never did receive anything official from Tesla. I was just told at a service visit that they would schedule me in some time. Mine failed before they were proactively fixed. I am surprised to hear this issue has extended all the way up to fairly recent deliveries. Mine dates back to early March 2013.

Like JPP, I have a 2-year old S85 with a B-pack, and have never gotten an "invite" or any official email or notice.

However, I just picked up my car from the Scottsdale service center where they very much wanted to do the "pre-emptive" replacement of my car's power switch, saying that it could fail in the future -- though I had to pull teeth to get the service rep to admit that. I'd never heard of this thread nor a "power switch" nor Tesla's seeming urgent need to "pre-emptively" replace said power switch posthaste.

They hadn't told me it would require an all-day procedure including "draining the battery." Well that was not going to happen. So I declined. So they put in calls to Denver and seem urgently trying to get a Ranger to drive all the way down to me in New Mexico, scoop up my car on a flat-bed, drive it back to Denver, replace the power switch, and bring my car back. Seemingly tomorrow.

How urgent is this? Why have I gotten nothing from Tesla officially?

How urgent is this? Why have I gotten nothing from Tesla officially?

I think Tesla is doing everything to avoid the dreaded "Recall" word. I was also informed, rather casually at a service visit, that mine required this proactive replacement too. Unfortunately mine failed while driving before an appointment was ever even made. My recommendation? Get it done.

Interesting. This thread was started 10 weeks ago. So far 6 people have posted saying Tesla notified them about this part replacement (assuming all 6 are referring to the same exact part). One person says all cars are "getting this done". That seems unlikely to me. If it was all cars there would have been dozens or hundreds of posts by now about this part replacement.

I think Tesla is doing everything to avoid the dreaded "Recall" word. I was also informed, rather casually at a service visit, that mine required this proactive replacement too. Unfortunately mine failed while driving before an appointment was ever even made. My recommendation? Get it done.
Yep, I'm sure it's to avoid that word. Mine was done "stealthily", when it was in for service for unrelated problems. The weird part was that there was no mention of it(even on the itemized work order list).

Interesting. This thread was started 10 weeks ago. So far 6 people have posted saying Tesla notified them about this part replacement (assuming all 6 are referring to the same exact part). One person says all cars are "getting this done". That seems unlikely to me. If it was all cars there would have been dozens or hundreds of posts by now about this part replacement.

No, what I said is that all types of Model S is getting this done not "all cars". Which was in reference to a question if only standard 85s were getting the work done.

Also this isn't the only thread about this topic. Here is another one:
Has anyone else gotten this notification or know what it is about?

Speaking of @qwk's "no mention of it (even on the itemized work order list)"... My repair order has this item included:

Concern: As part of providing peace of mind and a great ownership experience, Tesla vehicles are equipped with telematics systems to provide remote diagnostics support. We have been notified this vehicle has been remotely diagnosed that the Power Switch and Power Supply would benefit from the latest generation components.

How's that for smooth-as-silk Fremont service-speak? I didn't have time to have this work done (they said it'd require "draining the battery" and would take all day and I didn't have all day) so I declined to do it... but guess it has to be done soon.