Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Model X mules close to the final version?

Are the betas/mules we're seeing the final versions?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This.

I've stayed mostly quiet on this thread because I'm just not with the majority thinking we've finally spotted the X. I'm sure we have not. That's why I've stayed out of all the speculation about wheel base size based on measurements, etc. And I try not to think about what's coming, mostly because whatever I come up with will undoubtedly be wrong. So this post rings true to me.

I'm with Bonnie here

*Steps across the line and stares back at doubters*

I lived in Detroit long enough to know that there are no surprises this close to production. Most manufacturers have logged 100k+ public road miles on pre-production mules. There is no room for significant changes 3 months before production. The stampings and forms have been finalized and the robots are being programmed as we speak. They are already no doubt producing the final product in very low numbers either now or very soon.

My interest is peaked, what could be the final shocking design. Are we talking minor changes or major body panel changes. The wait is killing me and wonder when we will see the real thing.

Agree. They talk so much publicly about how much cooler the final version is. So it's hard not to speculate and create 'insane' stories. (See what I just did there?) :wink:

Anyways, when I met Jerome a couple of months back, his lips where closed regarding details about the X. But he also couldn't emphasize enough how cool this car is going to be. "Trust me, you just have to wait and see" was his exact words. I naturally got more excited and more questions rose to my mind, but I respected his silence and funny 'grin'.

Either their coming out with a serious wow-factor launch or we're going to be slightly disappointed that that was the result after so much hype. They have really set the bar high on this one. Not meeting them could be a serious drawback for the company as a whole.

That said, I'm optimistic as any. I hope they will show something truly cool. Either way: I'm still getting one! :biggrin:

I would be very surprised if the final Model X exterior was radically different from what's already been shown via spy photos and Tesla's own teaser image that was mailed out last year to reservation holders.

I lived in Detroit long enough to know that there are no surprises this close to production. Most manufacturers have logged 100k+ public road miles on pre-production mules. There is no room for significant changes 3 months before production. The stampings and forms have been finalized and the robots are being programmed as we speak. They are already no doubt producing the final product in very low numbers either now or very soon.

I'm always open to a small side-bet for fun (and bragging rights).

:)

Is there a reason to think that the MX will look significantly different from what Musk showed 3 years ago which looks similar to all the recent "spottings"?

I don't believe there is any reason for significant change to the outside, for the following reasons:

(1) Tesla sent out a holiday card to reservation holders that had a partially obscured rendering of the front of Model X. It's similar but slightly different than the concept (thinner falcon wing doors and somewhat boxier front profile).

(2) Aerodynamics are going to determine the shape. That means a sloped rear hatch, or the "whale" shape that some people aren't sure they like. I don't see any other reasonable way to design a 3-row mid-size SUV with great aerodynamics.

I think it's reasonable to assume that minor stuff like character lines, nose cone, and mirrors will be tweaked or different from the concept. I would not expect a radically different overall shape.

The major surprises will IMO be on the inside. The interior is where Tesla has the best opportunity to shine in terms of comfort, innovative features, and ergonomics.

Jacking up the suspension and then fine tuning it might require no changes to the body (stampings/forms/robots) just like awd on the S was just plug n play.
--

I've speculated that adding towing capability to the X meant that Tesla had to redesign the suspension and frame. I'm not sure they were actually able to reuse all that much from the S in these parts of the car.

C'mon Bonnie. You know something us other deadly people don't. But you cant tell, right?

If I knew something, I wouldn't be expressing an opinion about it ... that would be violating a trust. What I DO know is there is a very very tight lockdown on information on the X. Things I'd normally hear about, nothing. Crickets. People are not talking (kudos to all of them, dammit!).

So do I think they're out there driving it around when no one is talking? No.

I think I'll see the Model X when the first one is delivered. (Or possibly if they need some of us to configure for first deliveries after Founder Series ... but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.) I'm just hoping for a pedicure option while driving. :)

Is there a reason to think that the MX will look significantly different from what Musk showed 3 years ago which looks similar to all the recent "spottings"?

I'm going to agree with @bonnie, @gavine, @vigge50, etc. that the Model-X is going to look significantly different than what we have seen. It would seem to me that Tesla is employing multiple disguising techniques for the road testing (e.g. fake body panels, window coverings, wrapping nose cone, etc.) to achieve a look that won't be anything like the completed model. I also firmly believe that the spotted models are indeed the 30 beta models that will end up looking 99% like the production version, its just that they've been camouflaged. That camo won't affect the road testing they need to do (e.g. suspension & frame testing).

They have many other models that they can use to do their other testing either indoors or around their Fremont factory, away from prying eyes. I would think that 80+% of the testing can be done on site. It would be easier to build rigs and test-tracks to automate the testing on site so that the testing can be repeatable and not require any employees. I'm sure the beta models all have auto-pilot, so there will be many Model-Xs testing themselves right now as we contemplate what is to come.

Therefore, I still believe that they are still on track to complete their testing and have a Q3 2015 release.

When you see the final model with the big integrated sweeping glass moon-roof/windshield (moon-shield?), its going to look very different. I think they have done a lot with the nose-cose and rear as well that when seen altogether, its going to be really dramatic.

Folks are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think the beta/RC version of the X is going to look significantly different than the one that will ship. Unless they think the beta version of the S looked significantly different than the production version.

N2zfedR.jpg

Tesla Model S Beta 1 (photos) - CNET

Folks are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think the beta/RC version of the X is going to look significantly different than the one that will ship. Unless they think the beta version of the S looked significantly different than the production version.

*photo clipped*

Ah, but that isn't the disagreement at all! The question is whether the car we have seen driving around IS the beta.

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

So, I followed that last discussion of wether or not it will be different.

But they are driving around with some half-beta or so to test.

What can you see?

Didn't no one notice some interesting things in that last video?

1) See that aluminum foil inside, that is wrapped near the place where we would await a Camera instead of side mirrors? They are definitely holding on to that

2) From the short moments you can look inside, it looks like the theory about a glass from desk to Falconwings could win

3) The LCD panel is no longer reaching over!

What else?

Last edited: