Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to open ans close the windows with the key ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The opening function was disabled a long time ago. It opened the windows too many times by accident when it was pouring rain, which caused many complaints, and it never had the ability to shut the windows. It's hoped that at some point you'll be able to open and shut the windows with the App.

Ok thank you for your answer. I think it amazing that with a + 110 000€ car, you can't do that. It is very, very dissappointing. I don't see the point between the rain and open/close windows with the fob ?!?

It's not like the car can't do it. In fact in earlier software versions it did, but it seems a lot more people were annoyed by the option than people who liked it. It gave rise to accidents in rain and snow and people came back to find their car with all windows down (theft could be a problem). Tesla got feedback from a lot of people and removed the feature. You are the first person to complain, that I've heard of.

Why do you find this feature important and useful? Do you know you can set the panoramic roof in vent position both from the car and the app and that you can pre-cool the car from the app?

I'm glad they removed the feature from the FOB. I was one who would often find my windows down unexpectedly. But, I still think this would be a useful feature in the phone app. Plus, using rain sensors to detect rain and automagically roll up windows/close pano.

I know.. It's all been said before.

I don't have the pano roof !! On all the cars I had, even a Renault Clio, a Peugeot 206, etc have this very basic function. How can you understand that my 3000€ clio can do that without a single bug in many years, and the most technologic car cannot.

I'm curious, in what situations do you find this function useful?

Also, there was no bug with this feature, only the fact that it was pretty easy to press and hold on the roof button of the fob by accident, in the pocket for example.

They could have changed it to for example 3 quick clicks, there would be less risk of error with that.

How have you done it on cheap cars you've owned? (I have never had or used this feature with any car I've owned).

Last edited:
I'm curious, in what situations do you find this function useful?

When it's a hot day and you've been parked in the sun returning to car with grocery bags and you can see your car across the lot and want to open all windows to let the inferno escape before you enter the car.

Yes, instead you could arrive at the car, open the door and stand there for a while, or run around and open other doors to create a cross breeze and then run around again and shut them... Or just remotely drop windows for the 20 seconds it takes to reach your car... hop in and decide if when what windows stay down or go up from the driver's window switch cluster.

...trying to minimize the use of A/C (power) here.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there was no bug with this feature, only the fact that it was pretty easy to press and hold on the roof button of the fob by accident, in the pocket for example.

They could have changed it to for example 3 quick clicks, there would be less risk of error with that.

How have you done it on cheap cars you've owned? (I have never had or used this feature with any car I've owned).

Bingo, three hits of unlock. Here's add-on modules for VW (a category you might consider cheap cars) http://www.autowindow.com/features.html

Last edited:
Reactions: erik_k
I don't know if it was a bug from the Tesla Fob or if its the driver who accidently press and hold the roof button, but It's not the point.

It's usefull when you used to use it.
My father (owner) has a view on his P85D when he's working. And for exemple, it's a hot day in Toulouse (40°c) in summer. You leave you car with the windows a little bit oppened. suddently, it rains. Just press the fob and windows close.
Impossible with the Tesla : you have to return to your car.

Very bizarre that Tesla did'nt figure out with this tiny issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine the situation :

Your + 110 000€ P85D is parked just next to a Renault Clio.
It rain and you want to close the windows.

The clio guy who is sit just next to you press his fob and close his windows, but you can't. How much it is funny to him ?

Reactions: erik_k and .jg.
But...how many cars will let you turn on the air conditioning and cool the car from your office? I do that on a regular basis in the summer and warm it up in the winter. No need to worry about the windows at all. The Clio or most other cars can't do that.

But...how many cars will let you turn on the air conditioning and cool the car from your office? I do that on a regular basis in the summer and warm it up in the winter. No need to worry about the windows at all. The Clio or most other cars can't do that.
Most cars with a remote start will do that.

I agree, it would be nice to have the feature to open/close the windows with the fob or the phone app.

Reactions: erik_k
There are after-market kits that install in practically any car, with cellular link, and come with an App that looks and acts like what Tesla is doing with the S.

This function is not so special any more.

What's unique with Tesla is the car comes this way, ready to work. Don't need to add stuff on.

In a few more years, what you see on the Tesla App will become common from all car manufacturers, directly. Cutting out the after-market add on. It will trickle down from the high end cars (maybe as standard) to lesser cars (as an option) then finally free (with the base car) on most plebeian of transport a couple years after than when it has become table stakes.

I'm glad they removed the feature from the FOB. I was one who would often find my windows down unexpectedly. But, I still think this would be a useful feature in the phone app. Plus, using rain sensors to detect rain and automagically roll up windows/close pano.

What I don't understand is that they mapped it to a stupid button combination (long hold on roof button). The whole thing could have been avoided had they selected a better button sequence, more like what other manufacturers use for this feature (like a double click and hold). So they used this easy-to-accidentally trigger sequence, rightly got a lot of complaints, and then removed it. I would have preferred they fix it rather than remove it, but fine, whatever.

THEN, they assigned the exact same sequence to a open the charge port (long hold on trunk button), and instantly started getting complaints about accidental openings of the charge port. They learned absolutely nothing from the above experience by repeating the exact same mistake, and we lost a feature in the process. :-/

Not Tesla's finest hour.

Reactions: milleron
What I don't understand is that they mapped it to a stupid button combination (long hold on roof button). The whole thing could have been avoided had they selected a better button sequence, more like what other manufacturers use for this feature (like a double click and hold). So they used this easy-to-accidentally trigger sequence, rightly got a lot of complaints, and then removed it. I would have preferred they fix it rather than remove it, but fine, whatever.

THEN, they assigned the exact same sequence to a open the charge port (long hold on trunk button), and instantly started getting complaints about accidental openings of the charge port. They learned absolutely nothing from the above experience by repeating the exact same mistake, and we lost a feature in the process. :-/

Not Tesla's finest hour.

There are better user UI choices for fob pressing, see post #10 in this thread.

There are better user UI choices for fob pressing, see post #10 in this thread.
That wasn't really my point, but yes, there are many other options besides the one I mentioned. The reason other manufacturers use the "hold" portion of the sequence is because you can control how far the windows roll down (hold until they're down as far as you want them to be). That way you can just crack the windows, or completely roll them down.

It's not like the car can't do it. In fact in earlier software versions it did, but it seems a lot more people were annoyed by the option than people who liked it. It gave rise to accidents in rain and snow and people came back to find their car with all windows down (theft could be a problem). Tesla got feedback from a lot of people and removed the feature. You are the first person to complain, that I've heard of.

I am one of the (apparently too few) people who complained when this feature was removed. I'd be satisfied with either a enable/disable toggle setting or a new button press sequence.

I know I'm an edge case, but I am unable to use my phone at work. In summer months I found it *very* useful to be able to roll down the windows while approaching the car to let the accumulated heat escape, then turn on the A/C upon entry and roll them back up.

Reactions: .jg.