Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WSJ: Tesla: Just Another Car Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't read the article since I'm not a subscriber, but I can already spot a couple of howlers in the opening paragraph that's visible.

If you search "Tesla just another car company" in Google, you'll get a link that skirts the paywall. But unless you really want to raise your blood pressure to unsafe levels, you can just pass it by.

Here's a snippet that gives you an idea though...

Elon Musk has proved that a market exists for electric cars, despite their many inconveniences, especially if they come wrapped in taxpayer subsidies. He hasn’t proved he can make a profit.

His idea of an industry at scale, he would probably be loath to admit, almost certainly depends on government intervention to make gasoline-powered cars increasingly prohibited. His gigafactory, to which he will commit $2 billion to double the world-wide capacity of existing lithium-ion batteries, is a mute acknowledgment that he sees no battery breakthroughs in the offing that would transform the problems of range anxiety and recharge times.

His latest announcement at least has him no longer attacking journalists who mention the problem of range. He updated the car’s software so it will constantly tell the driver if he can hope to reach his destination or the nearest charging station. When a driver gets there, though, he’ll still spend hours, not minutes, filling up.

Mr. Musk also announced new self-driving features like those all auto makers are working on or have introduced in luxury cars that compete with Tesla’s. He’s been playing catch-up in safety technology too. Even Tesla’s innovations with electric power are not so alien and revolutionary that other car makers have not been able quickly to adopt them for their own vehicles.

In what way, then, is Tesla disruptive, the fanboy description of companies that come along and render obsolete what went before?

Last edited:
Wow. That's like some freshman's draft essay that hasn't been fact-checked. But I guess anything can get published as long as it's label an "opinion" piece.

Yes it's an opinion piece but where the heck did he get his opinion from? Is this kind of sentiment common in the USA? Is he being paid to have this opinion (most likely answer?) and if so by whom? Or is it simple a case of ignorance and "haters gonna hate"?

Yes it's an opinion piece but where the heck did he get his opinion from? Is this kind of sentiment common in the USA? Is he being paid to have this opinion (most likely answer?) and if so by whom? Or is it simple a case of ignorance and "haters gonna hate"?

The libertarian view that pollution is ok and it's not ok to use subsidies or cross-subsidies to help accelerate the development of alternatives, even if those alternatives would have stonkingly huge direct and indirect benefits, because if the alternative is any good the market will provide it in good time.

This article, which is just more introduction of the "fog factor" is a good example of why I stopped reading the WSJ years ago after having been a subscriber for nearly 30 years. Their articles on energy and the environment are often fact free which is why I stopped wasting my time reading this newspaper. As a business owner, I find Bloomberg business news offers much higher quality reporting.

Last edited:
Jenkins really out did himself here. He always tries to find the most cynical angle on current business stories. If written on a topic you are unfamiliar with, it feels good to go along with what he writes as it makes you feel superior and more sophisticated than the rubes he talks about. It's a seductive trap, and it's the reason why he's so widely read. This article is pure garbage, of course. Unfortunately it will have a big impact (as evidenced by today's stock price).