Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerns about buying: 48000 miles 2013 MS 85kwh with ALL options except for AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi i have several concerns, the seller mentioned that factory warranty is over and it is in perfect condition except for the high mileage.
Please throw in your 2 cents especially regarding reliability and repair cost if anything breaks down.

He also said that no major components (motor/battery) has been changed/replaced by service center. Everything is in working condition.

Buy or not?

The battery and drive train have an eight year warranty with unlimited mileage for a 85. My 2012 model S has 38,000 miles and really does not show any wear. I would check and see what the rated range for a full charge is. The 2012 and early 2013 cars have A type batteries which do not charge as fast at superchargers. If the price is right and a full charge shows little degradation, I think you will get a great car.

I would ask the service center if the car is eligible for a warranty extension. If it is an early 2013 car with an "A" battery, it could be vulnerable for power unit and/or battery contactor failure. These should be covered under the unlimited miles warranty provision, but other early components, like the chargers might not be covered. Make sure that the service center can confirm that ALL known and due engineering changes have been performed.

If all of these issues can be resolved, and the price is right, it could be a nice purchase.

You can buy the extended warranty ($4000) any time before the factory warranty as expired. Something still not sounding right here.

The original owner should be able to purchase it. I'm not sure about the second owner. So if it's a private sale, just have the original owner purchase the warranty.

I have a 2012 with 38k and it is in great condition. My max charge is now at 256 (down from the original max charge of 267) but other then that the car has been flawless. All engineering changes are applied and I am waivering on buying the extended warranty since the car has been so reliable.

I also don't have a "A" battery in my car. I have a B pack in a #3xxx car.

More info:
Eight digit of the VIN is "P" = Performance A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)

does that tell if this MS has type "A" battery or not?

No. VIN doesn't tell you if it has an A pack or not. But you can easily find out by looking at the car. Turn the wheels to the left side of the car. On the right side of the car look in the front wheel well. Towards the bottom there is an area where you can see the battery and will see a sticker that as the part number/serial number of the battery. The top of the sticker will also identify it as a battery, but what you're looking for is the last letter of the battery part number.

You can buy the extended warranty ($4000) any time before the factory warranty as expired. Something still not sounding right here.

Actually you have 30 days after the warranty expires to buy the extended warranty (which is then backdated to the date of the original warranty expiration).

I'll point out that the extended warranty may not be quite what you're hoping for though. It has a deductible that you have to pay for each repair. But if you're concerned about major parts other than the battery and drive unit (covered under the 8 year/unlimited mile warranty) then it might be worthwhile.

The one thing I'd also suggest is getting the current owner to request all the repair records from Tesla. The original owner can get them now. Once they sell to you neither of you will be able to get them. You may find this useful information both in deciding about your purchase and after if you decide to buy it.