Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

David Silverman, president of American Atheists on CNN with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CNN running Special tonight on Living without God.

David Silverman, president of American Atheists is also "promoting" his car ... with license plates "ATHE1ST" in New Jersey.

Given that there is a lot of science behind our cars, I suspect there maybe tons of non-believers among us?

(Not starting a potentially controversial debate ... more a rhetorical question.)

I'm not sure there's a correlation between Tesla ownership and atheism.
There is, however, some correlation between heavy internet use and atheism (see How the Internet Is Taking Away America’s Religion | MIT Technology Review)
And it seems somewhat self-evident that the people heavily represented here might fall into the "heavy internet use" category :)

And yes, I'm also a non believer (and strong non-belieber).

Like George Carlin I really tried to, and wanted to, believe in god. But after reading Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris I am convinced there is no god. As George Carlin said...

[SIZE=+1]But I want you to know something, this is sincere, I want you to know, when it comes to believing in God, I really tried. I really, really tried. I tried to believe that there is a God, who created each of us in His own image and likeness, loves us very much, and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you, the longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize, something is [messed] up.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. This is the kind of [stuff] you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently-run universe, this guy would've been out on his all-powerful a[r]ss a long time ago[/SIZE]

I dunno I'm gonna say there has to be a correlation of at least some magnitude. Remember one's specific case means nothing, we're talking generalities here. :) Let's talk the USA here for now, since their average IQ is probably 50 points below the rest of the world (ok I jest, yet it's likely the case :D). There, you have basically 2 types of people, and that's it:

"I'm a good'ol southern american, believe in jesus, think climate change is a hoax, drive a pickup. I'm pretty stupid but god made me that way so praise the lord".

"I'm smart, actually think about stuff including my own thought process, embrace science; whatever its latest findings are, are the most likely of any possibilities, to be true. Religion stuff is obviously made up and everyone even agrees with that except about their own."

It's clear which group is more likely to be into Tesla. :D Again I'm saying this in a comedic tone yet like most of those comedian routines, they're unfortunately correct. :)

Associating a car with a religion (or lack of)... that's... something...

Although I personally pray to the Lords of Kobal.

And sometimes the Bilge gods to keep my tools out of the damn hull.

And occasionally the gods of horsepower. :)

Baccalaureate, Masters, AbD in Mathematics and born of 2 scientists. 100% believer (Christian to the core) and can't wait for my Model X with all technology offered.

I doubt there is a correlation. .

I remember seeing a survey/study on atheism amongst science academics and it was found that the academics were more likely to be atheists than the general populace, but it depended on their subject area. Mathematicians were, I think, the most likely to be religious.

I dunno I'm gonna say there has to be a correlation of at least some magnitude. Remember one's specific case means nothing, we're talking generalities here. :) Let's talk the USA here for now, since their average IQ is probably 50 points below the rest of the world (ok I jest, yet it's likely the case :D). There, you have basically 2 types of people, and that's it:

"I'm a good'ol southern american, believe in jesus, think climate change is a hoax, drive a pickup. I'm pretty stupid but god made me that way so praise the lord".

"I'm smart, actually think about stuff including my own thought process, embrace science; whatever its latest findings are, are the most likely of any possibilities, to be true. Religion stuff is obviously made up and everyone even agrees with that except about their own."

It's clear which group is more likely to be into Tesla. :D Again I'm saying this in a comedic tone yet like most of those comedian routines, they're unfortunately correct. :)

Pretty much were I live.......I didn't grow up in a religious household, but started going to church in middle school through college. But as a young adult who loves facts, science, technology and space, I'm starting to question religion. Reading books like The Hidden Reality really brought to light that there are so many possibilities.

But then you have all the information on what we are doing to our planet and it leads back to why would someone want to be in the first group you mentioned?.......It turns me off of religion and it makes the others seem blinded.

I remember seeing a survey/study on atheism amongst science academics and it was found that the academics were more likely to be atheists than the general populace, but it depended on their subject area. Mathematicians were, I think, the most likely to be religious.

Hmmm. I'd like to see that study. Mom and Dad -- both strong believers -- were into chemistry and biology. They also loved technology.

I think Tesla should start its own religion. Musk has, after all, performed a miracle so far in the EV space. He may not be who, what, he appears to be. The holy texts will be spread using the touch screen (the Insane button was the first step), and service center technicians shall be considered healers. All we need now is a few good scam artists to make up some gibberish.

Both my boyfriend and I are atheists. My dad is too. We all drive Teslas, lol.

I do find it interesting that some of the least religious countries on the planet (most northern European countries) also seem to be very Tesla-friendly. There are probably many factors at work tho.

1. Perhaps God gave us the universe to study scientifically. Environmentalism, technology and science are in no way incompatible with belief in God.

2. I'm always amazed at the intolerance of some people who assume that anyone believing in God is stupid or with a below average IQ; it doesn't reflect well on those who suggest this.

3. Blaming God for the bad things humans do fails to recognize that humans have the will to do as they please.

Of course, if God didn't give us free will then nobody here would be free to be an atheist. ;-)