Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot production start? VIN and/or date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

actualsize

Instigator-in-Training
Jun 25, 2013
Santa Ana, Ca
I'm trying to chase down exactly when the "Tech Package with Autopilot" was first made available on the 85. I tried the FAQ and a thread search, but couldn't pin it down.

I'm pretty sure the option existed before the P85D was launched and the RWD P85 was shown the door, but I'm not certain. If that is indeed correct there could be P85 Model Ss with autopilot.

What is the Autopilot availability timeline available on a RWD 85-kWh Model S? I'm looking for a production date or VIN. Feel free to chime in with specifics on your own car if is RWD and has the Tech Package/Autopilot hardware.

Thanks

Dan

I'm trying to chase down exactly when the "Tech Package with Autopilot" was first made available on the 85. I tried the FAQ and a thread search, but couldn't pin it down.

I'm pretty sure the option existed before the P85D was launched and the RWD P85 was shown the door, but I'm not certain. If that is indeed correct there could be P85 Model Ss with autopilot.

What is the Autopilot availability timeline available on a RWD 85-kWh Model S? I'm looking for a production date or VIN. Feel free to chime in with specifics on your own car if is RWD and has the Tech Package/Autopilot hardware.

Thanks

Dan

There were definitely P85 models with autopilot. They were produced for many weeks I think before discontinuation. I had one as a loaner.

Autopilot sensors started appearing on cars beginning to be built sometime around September 18th (I believe there was a place that Tesla gave this date but I can't find it). The first known delivery of a car with Autopilot hardware happened on September 22nd. The Tech package with Autopilot appeared on the order form on October 9th right around the same time as the D event. The P85 was available to order until November 5th when it was removed (along with Green & Brown paint, black roofs, and 60Ds), when the Q3 2014 Earnings Report Conference Call occurred.

VINs won't do you much good, Tesla doesn't build cars in serial order. My September 2014 car was built between September 16th and 19th and did not have Autopilot, VIN 56107. However, I've personally seen a car with a VIN in 55k range that had it. Unfortunately, Tesla only exposes the month and year in the build information on the car (upper left corner of the sticker in the driver's door). So cars built in September 2014 you have to inspect for the sensors to know if they have it. Anything built from October 2014 has it for sure.

I'm not clear on how Tesla is dealing with people that ordered cars before the package was available. There were a lot of people adjusting orders that weren't built yet to have the Tech Package with Autopilot from just the Tech Package. But anyone that already had their car or that was far enough down the production process that couldn't change it's not clear to me what happened. I know some people were told they would have to pay $500 to get the convenience Autopilot features. But I've also seen people who were in this case say they weren't being asked to do this and are getting those features. I don't know if Tesla is handling this on a case by case basis or made a policy decision for everyone.

Hopefully that answers your question.