Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theory: Model X has "transparent" A pillars (see-through video)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
The new Model X mule photographs and videos show what looks like see-through A pillar on the passenger side (driver side not visible):

Tesla Model X spy art -- Automotive News Photo Gallery

tesla model x in palo alto - YouTube

There also seems to be what could be front-facing camers on the fog light assembly (as well as side rear-light assembly).

This technology has been previewed on competing cars, so seeing it on Tesla would not be unrealistic:

Jaguar Land Rover 360 Virtual Urban Windscreen Video - YouTube

Theoretically it could also involve other pillars and even the bonnet...

Land Rover Reveals Transparent Bonnet Concept - YouTube

Thanks for the find on the Model X mule video goes to sigurdi.

Edit: Since there have been some misunderstandings, here is an image from the Palo Alto video.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75827&d=1427267437.jpg

Note the inside of the passenger side A pillar showing bright areas even as the car is filmed from different angles and enters shade.

Last edited:
The new Model X mule photographs and videos show what looks like see-through A pillar on the passenger side (driver side not visible):

Tesla Model X spy art -- Automotive News Photo Gallery

tesla model x in palo alto - YouTube

There also seems to be what could be front-facing camers on the fog light assembly (as well as side rear-light assembly).

This technology has been previewed on competing cars, so seeing it on Tesla would not be unrealistic:

Jaguar Land Rover 360 Virtual Urban Windscreen Video - YouTube

Theoretically it could also involve other pillars and even the bonnet...

Land Rover Reveals Transparent Bonnet Concept - YouTube

Thanks for the find on the Model X mule video goes to sigurdi.
Very cool. I wouldn't put it pass Tesla to include this. It would be well beyond a 5 star safety feature, I'd give it 6 stars out of 5. Now where is my Sparkle wand to approve this! :)

If this is the type of stuff tesla is waiting to unveil... First, my wife is going to love her X. Second, I could see why tesla is waiting to the unveiling. The marketing potential is huge. Big splash.

I don't see what you're seeing.

In neither the photo nor the video am I able to see through either the A or B pillars on either side of the Model X shown. (The B pillar looks black, while the A pillar looks white.)

Let's make sure we're all talking about the same pillar:

Wagon_and_sedan.jpg

Yes, A-Pillar. In the video when you look through the windshield you see some odd images along the passenger side A-pillar, like perhaps a video display of what is outside the car. Perhaps they have some sort of flexible display panel mounted inside the car along the A-pillar to act as a vertical video screen to show some useful information. It is an area that is otherwise just wasted in your field of view. Perhaps it is there getting ready for the cameras to replace the real mirrors (if they are allowed to sell it that way), but for now the car still seems to have regular side view mirrors.

I don't see what you're seeing.

In neither the photo nor the video am I able to see through either the A or B pillars on either side of the Model X shown. (The B pillar looks black, while the A pillar looks white.)

Let's make sure we're all talking about the same pillar:

View attachment 75811

If you watch the Jaguar video linked, you'll see what he is talking about demonstrated on another car. It is actually a screen on the A-pillar that shows a camera view of the scene on the other side of the pillar. More accurately, the inside cover of the A-pillar IS the screen.

A "transparent" A pillar? Sorry, but that sounds like a joke to me. What material could Tesla use that would be transparent and sufficiently strong and not be incredibly expensive?
Surely you've heard of transparent aluminum! ;)

It does look like it is possible but I'm betting it isn't cheap!http://phys.org/news167925273.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A "transparent" A pillar? Sorry, but that sounds like a joke to me. What material could Tesla use that would be transparent and sufficiently strong and not be incredibly expensive?

Volvo had this on a concept C30 where they used a truss structure in the A-pillar....... but ultimately they never produced this idea. I doubt that TESLA would do it either........

image.jpg