Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tech Package or no Tech Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there has been a lot of discussion about ordering the Tech Package or not, but the contents of the Tech Package seems to be changing all the time. Navigation and parking sensors used to be part of the Tech Package and was the reason I thought it made sense to purchase. Now it looks like Navigation with free map updates for 7 years, parking sensors, lane departure warning and even daytime running lights are standard. With that being said, it seems like spending $4643 (including tax) for lighted door handles, automatic keyless entry, power lift gate and traffic-aware cruise might not be worth it. The Autopilot features and self parking are not that critical to me because my commute does not involve long highway drives or parallel parking. These features are not even available yet and it seems like some discussions mention that there are not enough sensors in the car to provide truly Autopilot like features.

So has anyone purchased a car recently without the Tech Package that does include Navigation and parking sensors? Does the Nav have full voice guidance? Any issue using the FOB to activate the door handles?

I know there has been a lot of discussion about ordering the Tech Package or not, but the contents of the Tech Package seems to be changing all the time. Navigation and parking sensors used to be part of the Tech Package and was the reason I thought it made sense to purchase. Now it looks like Navigation with free map updates for 7 years, parking sensors, lane departure warning and even daytime running lights are standard. With that being said, it seems like spending $4643 (including tax) for lighted door handles, automatic keyless entry, power lift gate and traffic-aware cruise might not be worth it. The Autopilot features and self parking are not that critical to me because my commute does not involve long highway drives or parallel parking. These features are not even available yet and it seems like some discussions mention that there are not enough sensors in the car to provide truly Autopilot like features.

So has anyone purchased a car recently without the Tech Package that does include Navigation and parking sensors? Does the Nav have full voice guidance? Any issue using the FOB to activate the door handles?

Tesla only changed the order page to show Navigation outside of the Tech package a couple weeks ago. I really doubt anyone has received a car in that configuration yet.

I tend to think that Tech is central to getting the most from the Model S experience, but I have no real experience with it so far.
Walter

So it just happened with the introduction of the Autopilot? If that's the case, then is anyone considering not getting the tech package now that Navigation is standard?

Autopilot was introduced in September 2014 and cars built since the have Autopilot with the tech package. In March 2015, Navigation moved outside the tech package to be standard. Anyone ordering a MS without tech since that change will not have received their car yet, so likely there haven't been much exposure to that consideration.

That said, while I am personally a fan of autopilot and want the tech package, one could argue that a new MS without tech pretty much matches a "classic" MS and it may be worthwhile to look at the used or CPO market there. For new, I think this would only make sense if you never want to travel with the car - which is certainly a real possibility for individuals. In my case, I have never liked driving and prefer to fly, but anticipate this changing once I get a MS. So, for me, tech is a must-have feature. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Hopefully others will post their thoughts too.

With all the stuff that's now standard, I don't think I'd have bought the tech package. The DRLs and NAV were my 2 biggest reasons. Auto present and lighted door handle and power lift gate just don't seem worth $4250 to me. Sure, they're nice. Autopilot. I don't want it.

Last edited:
That said, while I am personally a fan of autopilot and want the tech package, one could argue that a new MS without tech pretty much matches a "classic" MS and it may be worthwhile to look at the used or CPO market there. For new, I think this would only make sense if you never want to travel with the car - which is certainly a real possibility for individuals. In my case, I have never liked driving and prefer to fly, but anticipate this changing once I get a MS. So, for me, tech is a must-have feature. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Hopefully others will post their thoughts too.

I'd agree with you for an inventory car pre-autopilot sans-tech-package .... since the $7500 fed tax credit still applies. For a CPO car to make sense for someone who doesn't care about the options being discussed here, I'd be curious to see actual prices to determine if that savings on the vehicle price offsets the tax benefit. But a CPO does also add more warranty, which could be a benefit for a car still not but 1-2 years old.

For me, the price of the tech package is worth it primarily for:
- GPS based home link (nice for multiple garage locations)
- Auto dimming side mirrors (perhaps i just have overly sensitive eyes?)
- Power lift gate (I am short, plus its just a helpful feature when your hands are semi full)
- Automatic keyless entry (Love never having to dig keys out of my pocket to lock or unlock the car)

That last one is especially nice for my wife, since her keys float around her purse and are never in the same location twice. She even told me that when her non-tech package 60 arrives in a few weeks, she'll probably use her phone to unlock the car since that is easier to find in her purse than her keys. And she is hoping for an Apple Watch on her wrist someday soon with a Tesla companion app, to make entry even easier LOL

I personally would never buy a Tesla without the tech package. I'm not pointing that out to argue with you, that would be silly -- it's personal preference. I'm pointing it out because probably 90% of the cars are being sold with tech package, which could mean it is important to 90% of potential buyers when you go to sell or trade your car. If they can get one with the tech package, they'll pass on yours. Price goes down. By more than the amount you pay for the tech package? I think so.

If ever there was a car that was designed to be used with the Tech Package, it is the Model S.

If you get a Model S without the Tech Package you will likely have a hard time selling it and then at a further discount.

Except the car without the Tech Package is pretty much the same as the cars with the Tech Package made prior to September of 2014 except for the auto door handles, Homelink and auto lift rear hatch. For the Homelink, you can buy a brand new Homelink integrated mirror from ebay for $100. I installed one of those in my previous car without any issues. I am ordering mine in August, so I will see what changes with the Auto Pilot software updates to see if its worth it. Right now, I don't think it is.

My personal choice will be to order with tech package. It has to help resale. Why get lumped into the older non-sensor cars? And who knows what features they may add.
Sure, autopilot may not be important to the first owner, but super cool on a test drive to sell the car.

Guess I think of it as insurance.

Resale will suffer if a car lacks autopilot in a few years. Software development of these features will be under scrutiny but once the features are active it will be a big reason many people consider the car. Tech package is the one feature I would not skip.

If the new autopilot is not important to you, there are dozens of cars with fairly low miles for sale that would save you way more than the $4K of tech package on new. The main reason many are selling is to upgrade to the autopilot. Then you could load up other features (even tech to get the things you do want) and still be far lower than the new price.

Hate to ring that resale bell but selling a 2015+ Telsa without Autopilot is going to be harder IMHO. It adds 5% to the cost of the vehicle and in point of fact you may seriously regret getting it yourself. Just my two cents - but Autopilot is going to get better and better and they'll make it standard equipment at some point - 2015+ cars without it are going to be worth less.

I see no reason why you shouldn't consider the Tesla without the Tech package. Respectfully, you will never get out what you paid for in resale for any option, no matter what it is, on any car (there may be extreme exceptions, but I doubt this is one). I am sure there will be cool techie things that you will miss out on, but the essence of the car will be there, and you can't beat that!

I have been a Tesla fence-sitter for years, and have finally taken the plunge, but I am excited to see on this board people being picky about their options instead of just early-adopters that want everything! (I have haunted this board for years, but never joined until I actually bought the car!) I personally will get the Tech package, because having a car that gets better over time blows my mind, and not having the Tech package limits that.

I would get the tech package. Look at the people in other threads without the tech package who are moping about missing out on various new features... or at least, if you choose to not get it, promise not to complain about not having it in the future!

Good point. Sounds like everyone is thinking that the tech package is pretty mandatory.

Off topic, but I have yet to see resale cars that are selling for below new if you take into account tax credits. I keep looking at cars.com and ebay. I do like the fact that the 2015 cars are quieter and rear doors hinges open more, so there are other reasons to prefer the 2015's besides the Auto Pilot.

Once you have owned a car with Auto Pilot type features (collision avoidance/side assist) its hard to own a car without it.
My Audi A7 has the Driver Assistance package and Innovation package, both have saved my ass. With all the rear end collision scams and just flat out crappy drivers having some piece of mind is worth the 4k cost. All it takes is one time looking down for sec, and BAM 20K down the drain plus higher insurance rates.