Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports: Tesla and the self-driving car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These guys crack me up. In one moment, they are talking about how you upgrade your IPhone every few years while a few minutes later they are railing about the need for car manufacturers to make their cars modular and upgradable from a computer hardware standpoint. The idea that you can design a car with a modular computer section that allows processor and complete systems updates would price the vehicle out of any reasonable price range. Its better to simply improve, allow those that want to update and allow the older cars to trickle down.

These guys crack me up. In one moment, they are talking about how you upgrade your IPhone every few years while a few minutes later they are railing about the need for car manufacturers to make their cars modular and upgradable from a computer hardware standpoint. The idea that you can design a car with a modular computer section that allows processor and complete systems updates would price the vehicle out of any reasonable price range. Its better to simply improve, allow those that want to update and allow the older cars to trickle down.

A processor upgrade capability is pretty easy to do. I believe Tesla already uses an nVidia processor module. Sensor upgrades etc. are much more expensive to design for. Much like old iPhones can't run iOS 8, there will come a time when older cars can't use the latest OTA updates. However, owners will still have had several years where their cars just kept getting better. Items like few buttons improve upgradability.

I thought the CR video was too negative on the routing improvements. The fact that it knows real time status of the Superchargers including their current usage is huge. The fact that charge times are optimized is another big deal.

Thanks for posting.
At this point, I imagine I will want to replace my 5 day old Model S in a few years, as CR may want to replace theirs. I sure am glad I waited for D and Auto Pilot. I wonder what I'll be waiting for in my next iteration.

OMG @ at that Youtube comment they read at the beginning. The sheer level of arrogance and self-righteousness deserves a mention on The Onion. and thats before you mention the reality that tesla is not the only AI car maker, not even the "best" one.

Likely a TMC poster, i bet.

(unfortunately, it says more about the general tesla fandom, not so much the "ICE-biased" media some like to criticize)

anyways, the whole hype about self driving car is just that: hype. as of 2015 and well into the coming years, it is ONLY for the most ideal situations - and even then, once the inevitable crash occurs, guess what: the car maker is not the one who'll foot the premium increases.

Last edited:

Upgradable components will start out expensive, like any new approach to technology, but would rapidly drop in price as they became more commonplace.

I thought the CR video was too negative on the routing improvements. The fact that it knows real time status of the Superchargers including their current usage is huge. The fact that charge times are optimized is another big deal.

I actually agree with CR here. While Range Assurance and Trip Planner sound like they will be cool features, I don't think they really deserved a dedicated announcement and media event.

I actually agree with CR here. While Range Assurance and Trip Planner sound like they will be cool features, I don't think they really deserved a dedicated announcement and media event.

Spoken like an owner :) Musk mentioned that most owners don't have range anxiety. This was aimed at people unfamiliar and those hearing FUD from other automakers. Still, I stand by my comment that the biggest part of the navigation announcement was tracking status of the SC's in real time. I wasn't aware that there were communication links to the SC's. I had thought Tesla was dependent on owners letting them know about problems. Now if Harris Ranch is down you will know ahead of time and not need a tow truck like some owners did.

Interesting, I am telling a friend about the expectations of version 7 and the AutoPilot capabilities. He explains that his Acura MDX already has these autopilot features. He can drive on the freeway with hands and feet free... Why are people jawboning about Tesla and whether its safe... SUV by Acura has been doing it for a long while.

Interesting, I am telling a friend about the expectations of version 7 and the AutoPilot capabilities. He explains that his Acura MDX already has these autopilot features. He can drive on the freeway with hands and feet free... Why are people jawboning about Tesla and whether its safe... SUV by Acura has been doing it for a long while.

Other manufacturers require "steering input" which means that it aids you to steer but needs the driver to move the wheel or to touch the wheel. The approach Tesla is going for is so that you don't have to touch the wheel at all unless the car is unsure about the situation and needs user input. Elon said that they were working on Autopilot and their test vehicle was almost able to go from Seattle to SF without the driver touching the wheel. Tesla's goal was to have Model S go from highway on-ramp to highway off-ramp without driver input. Also, unlike other automakers, Tesla is implementing a feature which allows Model S to make lane changes by itself with only the flick of a turn signal.

Other Autopilot features include the automatic parking, not just parallel parking but also in your own garage. And on private property you can 'summon' Model S so that it can pick you up by driving itself from a parking space to you. And eventually it will be smart enough to look at your calendar, precondition the vehicle, and pick you up when it is time to depart.

I also suspect that they will be able to do a whole lot more with the technology in current vehicles and future vehicles than what has already been announced. Tesla has claimed to have a lot of stuff up their sleeve that are currently unknown to the public. Elon has said he's not showing all of his cards, and he's keeping his cards close to his chest. They are working to push the boundaries of self-driving technologies, and owners can expect these cutting edge features to be installed overnight as an OTA update. They are taking these features and going one step further than where the other automakers are willing to go. And that's probably why everyone is up in arms about Tesla's Autopilot tech. And that's addition to the fact that the company is under the media's microscope right now.

Here's a video explaining the Acura system:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks... I'm excited about the future from Tesla... just thought it was interesting that folks are "scared" of Tesla's autopilot (maybe just some media folks) and others are doing similar things... appreciate the input.

Other manufacturers require "steering input" which means that it aids you to steer but needs the driver to move the wheel or to touch the wheel. The approach Tesla is going for is so that you don't have to touch the wheel at all unless the car is unsure about the situation and needs user input. Elon said that they were working on Autopilot and their test vehicle was almost able to go from Seattle to SF without the driver touching the wheel. Tesla's goal was to have Model S go from highway on-ramp to highway off-ramp without driver input. Also, unlike other automakers, Tesla is implementing a feature which allows Model S to make lane changes by itself with only the flick of a turn signal.

Other Autopilot features include the automatic parking, not just parallel parking but also in your own garage. And on private property you can 'summon' Model S so that it can pick you up by driving itself from a parking space to you. And eventually it will be smart enough to look at your calendar, precondition the vehicle, and pick you up when it is time to depart.

I also suspect that they will be able to do a whole lot more with the technology in current vehicles and future vehicles than what has already been announced. Tesla has claimed to have a lot of stuff up their sleeve that are currently unknown to the public. Elon has said he's not showing all of his cards, and he's keeping his cards close to his chest. They are working to push the boundaries of self-driving technologies, and owners can expect these cutting edge features to be installed overnight as an OTA update. They are taking these features and going one step further than where the other automakers are willing to go. And that's probably why everyone is up in arms about Tesla's Autopilot tech. And that's addition to the fact that the company is under the media's microscope right now.

Here's a video explaining the Acura system:

Last edited by a moderator: