Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger test in Brussels during Easter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a proud Tesla Model S future owner. And since the car should arrive in "late April", I have to get busy equipping the garage...

Taking into account the Belgian neuterprobleem (see http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/31507-Oplossingen-Belgisch-230V-neuterprobleem), and the fact that no three-phase power is available for me, the choice has been to order the Ratio 32A/230V one-phase EVSE (item no. 31339, see here).

View attachment 75723

I have agreed with a relative of mine, who is an electrician, to fly over and install it for me (bringing the electricity to the garage, putting the plug and installing the charger). But before he flies away, I want to test the installation to make sure it can actually charge the Tesla. Unfortunately, I do not have car.

So I was wondering if there is anyone in Brussels or Flemish Brabant who would be willing to charge at my place (Brussels, Schuman area) on 4 (evening), 5 or 6 March? This could be a Tesla or any other car with Type 2 connection that is able to load the charger to 32A/7.4kw.

I offer you the electricity, coffee/tee and lots of questions... :wink:

Am also away those dates unfortunately. Was thinking you could call one of those Brussels e-taxis, but they seem to charge on chademo. Tesla's service center is only a five minute drive from Schuman, so perhaps you could ask them. Otherwise, just relax - no reason it shouldn't work if you're going the "blue" (230V/32A) route.

And welcome to the club!

I work in the Schuman area so am around there with my S85 most days of the week.
Unfortunately I will be on vacations at the dates you mention...
But why are you worried? Why wouldnt it work?

This is my first EV and a jump into the unknown. So I don't have experience with anything more than a washing machine. This may seem funny to you, but I am worried about the stress that would put on my electricity connection: What if it blows the fuses of the big input connection when I connect the car at 30A? I was assured by the electrician that it should not be a problem, but he mentioned that it would be nice to test.

The setup will be as follows: the "big input" is with 40A breakers, then there will be the wire to the garage, in the garage there will be 32A breakers + additional earting, and then a wire to Ratio EVSE (the switch on it allows adjusting up to 30A).

So the answer is: I am just a bit scared of the unknown. A bit like the time when I was 12 and went to the gas station for the first time to fill up my scooter.

Am also away those dates unfortunately. Was thinking you could call one of those Brussels e-taxis, but they seem to charge on chademo. Tesla's service center is only a five minute drive from Schuman, so perhaps you could ask them. Otherwise, just relax - no reason it shouldn't work if you're going the "blue" (230V/32A) route.

And welcome to the club!

Thanks for the friendly support!

I spent a lot of time investigating and the "blue" route seems the only (reasonable) option for me.

About the BYD taxis: I have noticed that they charge at Lidl on Rue Gray. But I do not know what plugs are there at that charger.

A bit like the time when I was 12 and went to the gas station for the first time to fill up my scooter.

You had a scooter at 12? Well, those were the days I suppose (I hope my kids don't read on this forum :smile:).

I would think the whole point of the Ration EVSE is that it can monitor that problem. I simply have a separate spur (32A) ending in a "blue" socket, and just use the universal charger we get with the car. This winter (as opposed to last winter, strangely) this set-up did blow the fuses a couple of times. So now I know that with my set-up, washing machine + dishwasher + Tesla starting to charge = go find a torch. I now programmed charging to start at midnight, problem solved. With a dedicated charging station such as your Ration EVSE you most probably won't even have to bother about it.

This is my first EV and a jump into the unknown. So I don't have experience with anything more than a washing machine.

So the answer is: I am just a bit scared of the unknown. A bit like the time when I was 12 and went to the gas station for the first time to fill up my scooter.
:biggrin:
Be happy, having a washing machine, that means you know what electricity can do, so in case of emergency, unplug your washing machine, and plug your tesla in !
With 13a you will be able to load 12 - 15 km per hour, so after a few hours you can drive to Suc Aartselaar for a complete refill. Easy backup is available for you! Hope as for us your Tesla will keep you grinning too!

About the BYD taxis: I have noticed that they charge at Lidl on Rue Gray. But I do not know what plugs are there at that charger.

I work in this area. Now ad then, I go for a charge at Lidl: it is a Type 2 Menneks 3f 32A, hence 22 kW and a useless schuko with 1f 16A.
I am willing to test your installation but not during that week.
Send me a PM if the week after is fine to carry out the test. I could bring a home made charger that can manage 3f of 1f 32A.

This is my first EV and a jump into the unknown. So I don't have experience with anything more than a washing machine. This may seem funny to you, but I am worried about the stress that would put on my electricity connection: What if it blows the fuses of the big input connection when I connect the car at 30A? I was assured by the electrician that it should not be a problem, but he mentioned that it would be nice to test.

The setup will be as follows: the "big input" is with 40A breakers, then there will be the wire to the garage, in the garage there will be 32A breakers + additional earting, and then a wire to Ratio EVSE (the switch on it allows adjusting up to 30A).

Why dont you test the other way around? Have your electrician check how many amps you draw when your appliances are running at full power (so worst case scenario) and you will know what you have left for the car. In my case, in this scenario charging at 32A will trip the main breaker. Although it is unlikely to happen when I charge at night and because a night is plenty of time, I usually charge at 24A only so as to remain on the safe side.

There are also wallboxes that adapt the amperage according to the house consumption. The one I am building will eventually do just that, but I am not quite there yet.

I work in this area. Now ad then, I go for a charge at Lidl: it is a Type 2 Menneks 3f 32A, hence 22 kW and a useless schuko with 1f 16A.
I am willing to test your installation but not during that week.
Send me a PM if the week after is fine to carry out the test. I could bring a home made charger that can manage 3f of 1f 32A.

Thanks fivari! I might contact you.

A home-made charger sounds cool!

Why dont you test the other way around? Have your electrician check how many amps you draw when your appliances are running at full power (so worst case scenario) and you will know what you have left for the car. In my case, in this scenario charging at 32A will trip the main breaker. Although it is unlikely to happen when I charge at night and because a night is plenty of time, I usually charge at 24A only so as to remain on the safe side.

There are also wallboxes that adapt the amperage according to the house consumption. The one I am building will eventually do just that, but I am not quite there yet.

I am not an expert, but this actually sounds like a good idea. I will check that with the electrician.

But in my apartment there are several 16A fuses, so it is more likely that I will blow those before I manage to reach the 32A to simulate a car.

Now I wish I did not buy the A++ washing machine... :rolleyes:

A wallbox that adapts sounds very fancy. Have you thought of making a description of the build? I intentionally chose a simple wallbox to have something that would have less chance of going wrong.