Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

David Crosby runs over jogger in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poor guy didn't even hear it coming.

While I first thought your comment to be a little crass, there is some truth to this. An ICE car may have warned the jogger to move over a little.
This jogger was seriously injured. He is thankfully supposed to be okay, though with what long lasting repercussions is unknown. My prayers go out to him.

What bothers me about these articles, is that every one of them mentions that it is a Tesla. Except for the quiet aspect of the car, what does the type of vehicle have anything to do with this? If he was driving a Toyota, I highly doubt they would have mentioned it. OTOH, I guess if he was driving a Ferrari, they would have name-dropped that too. Puts the Tesla in that same class.

Poor guy didn't even hear it coming.

At 55 mph he likely did hear it coming. When the car is driving below about 20 mph is when it is hard to hear (Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

While I first thought your comment to be a little crass, there is some truth to this. An ICE car may have warned the jogger to move over a little.
This jogger was seriously injured. He is thankfully supposed to be okay, though with what long lasting repercussions is unknown. My prayers go out to him.

What bothers me about these articles, is that every one of them mentions that it is a Tesla. Except for the quiet aspect of the car, what does the type of vehicle have anything to do with this? If he was driving a Toyota, I highly doubt they would have mentioned it. OTOH, I guess if he was driving a Ferrari, they would have name-dropped that too. Puts the Tesla in that same class.

Articles are written to generate clicks. Name dropping resulted in someone posting the article here and a bunch of people clicked on it.

It's all about click-bait. Tesla is a hot name so articles use it to generate traffic. All the talk about autopilot would make it seem relevant too however nothing that is currently in production and available for utilization in the Tesla is really auto-pilot. TACC and Lane detection are available on many, many other cars and is only a step in the direction of autonomous driving.

While it's true that the Tesla is quiet, most newer ICE vehicles coming up from behind wouldn't make considerably more noise, or enough that they would be able to get out of the way at 55 mph. Of course, the distinction wouldn't be particularly relevant if the jogger was wearing headphones, quite common.

I would also argue that a posted speed limit of 55 mph is probably at the upper-limit, and I would argue over, of a road that can be used for jogging.

And this is why you run against traffic - so you can see cars coming and get out of the way. Not to say Crosby isn't at fault, but the jogger was on the wrong side of the road for his own safety.

yea i never understood why people always run/walk along with the traffic instead of against it since nobody has eyes in the back of their heads.... I've always intentionally done the exact opposite bc I want to see whats coming towards me instead of getting blind sided.

yea i never understood why people always run/walk along with the traffic instead of against it since nobody has eyes in the back of their heads.... I've always intentionally done the exact opposite bc I want to see whats coming towards me instead of getting blind sided.

In California it is the law for pedestrians to walk facing traffic on rural roads and highways. (I have to check the CVC, but this was hammered into us children when I was in grade school in the '60s.)

Not to blame the victim, but as a runner myself, I always have headphones in, so might not have heard the car coming. However, I also run towards traffic if there's no sidewalk and I wouldn't be running on a road that goes up to 55 mph without a sidewalk. Any news where exactly this happened? SoCal isn't the most pedestrian friendly town.

As an aside, David Crosby is one of those singers who's voice hasn't aged well. I enjoy the CSNY recordings from 60s/70s (if I'm in the mood), but live stuff from the last couple decades are just cringe inducing.

Not to blame the victim, but as a runner myself, I always have headphones in

During a bike ride a few years ago, a guy who used to work for me was killed by a car. When running or biking, you need to pay attention to your surroundings. Wearing headphones is too distracting for the roads.

I'm a marathoner and a Tesla owner. Even with middle-age hearing loss, I can hear tire noise from any EV. That might not be the case with headphones.

When running or biking, you need to pay attention to your surroundings. Wearing headphones is too distracting for the roads.

Dito, I see a lot of that with younger people now. No way I would ever wear headphones in traffic, whether riding my bike or walking in the city. maybe in a closed off park.

I'd equate a runner to a bicycle so they should both move *with* traffic. Coming at you 'twice as fast' is a real problem for drivers facing oncoming runners.
--

A runner is so slow compared to a car it barely makes any difference whether he is coming towards you moving away from you. A bicycle, not so much.

I'd equate a runner to a bicycle so they should both move *with* traffic. Coming at you 'twice as fast' is a real problem for drivers facing oncoming runners

Every jurisdiction that has a law I am aware of requires pedestrians to travel facing traffic and bicycles to be with traffic. Joggers are likely to be going 4-7mph, so the speed doubling problem is minimal and the advantage of being able to see and jump out of the way of an errant automobile is huge. I've had to jump off the road to avoid a texting driver more than once.