Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I get some advice for installing a public charging station?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a business near the interstate in Pensacola, FL. Can I get some advice on the best (coolest) public station that I could install? I have a res on a model x and would use it myself as well. I would probably make it free with signage posted for voluntary donation (paypal, apple pay, etc) to a charity that I support.

I appreciate any advice.

Depending on your business, you might qualify for Tesla's destination charging program of free HPWC:
Destination Charging

Or you could buy a HPWC and install it. It's only $750 plus your cost of installation.
Or if you want a EVSE that all EVs could use, I would recommend a high amp J1772 charging station such as Clipper Creek CS-100
ClipperCreek | EV Charging Stations | EVSE | Electric Vehicle Charging

This will give 80A output for Tesla with dual chargers, 40A output for Teslas with single chargers, and Leafs, etc. that can only draw 30A can use it too.

Thanks for doing this. There are very few charging stations in the Pensacola area as you probably know.

You don't mention your budget or the number of spaces you're considering, or even your target audience (i.e. short term customers at a souvenir shop or restaurant, or a destination for overnight).

A CHAdeMO is expensive, but offers options for rapid charging for a large variety of people (Teslas with adapters, Leaf, etc.) who might be passing through to other coastal destinations. You'd probably also want a J1772 for those without CHAdeMO capabilty, but those are pretty cheap at the 30A version.

The previously mentioned High Amp J1772 is a great option for passers through who don't mind staying a while if they need a full charge and is a good in between price point.

In addition or as an alternative, the Tesla HPWC is, according to Elon's recent press conference, available for FREE to any business willing to put it up in a prominant place. Your cost would be installation. Of course noone but current Tesla owners could use it, so you may also need a J1772 for others. In any case, I can see no reason not to take Tesla up on this option as a starting point no matter what option you choose for other drivers.

Continuing along efusco's lines, what to install (and how or if to charge for it) depends on your goals. Figuring out the best solution for you is really a process that starts with your goals; there is no one single answer that works everywhere.

Plus, even once you've chosen something, there's working with utilities, getting permits, adding signage and striping, etc.

Plug In America has a guide to walk you through this process HERE.

First off, thank you for stepping up and helping to build out the charging infrastructure. This is the sort of investment with uncertain and hard-to-measure returns, so it's great to see more visionary businessmen take the step.

Function trumps form here. There are some very stylish public stations (e.g. JuiceBar's offerings), but few that offer a full 40 A of charging current. Clipper Creek makes a solid EVSE that can deliver up to 48 A (ClipperCreek | EV Charging Stations | EVSE | Electric Vehicle Charging) or even to 80 A (ClipperCreek | EV Charging Stations | EVSE | Electric Vehicle Charging). Clipper Creek isn't used by many commercial operators because it doesn't have a robust fee-collection capability, but that doesn't sound like it matters to you particularly.

I don't know what kind of business you own, but if your customers are staying for less than an hour or so, you might consider installing a Level 3 charger. Something like this handsome unit from JuiceBar can charge using either CHAdeMO or CCS-DC at rates up to 50 kW.

I would go with the Clipper Creek CS-100

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-cs-100-high-power/

clippercreek.png

that Juicebar also looks nice.

There are many free stations here in Los Angeles. I would say the majority of them are Clipper Creek units. They seem to be built very well and withstand any weather.

As much as I'm a Tesla fan, I really don't believe in building public charging stations that can only be used by Tesla. No matter where, I would always install a normal EV plug (J1772) that everyone can use.

Tanks for all of the helpful comments. It looks like one tesla station and one clipper creek may be the way to go. It's not designed to be a revenue generator or to pull customers in. I would like to really see electric vehicles take off along the gulf coast. I want to to look nice as well, so as not to be an eyesore.

Tanks for all of the helpful comments. It looks like one tesla station and one clipper creek may be the way to go. It's not designed to be a revenue generator or to pull customers in. I would like to really see electric vehicles take off along the gulf coast. I want to to look nice as well, so as not to be an eyesore.

The Clipper Creek CS Series has a layout available that you can take to a local sign shop that does vinyl wraps where they can design and produce a "skin" for the unit. This allows for two improvements. First the gray industrial face of the CS EVSE unit can look very good and two, you can make your request for charitable donations or any other messages, like who to contact with questions, etc. on the wrap. Plug-In North Central Washington pay about $45 per wrap for our units.

Attachments

• Plugin NCW CS90.jpg
    Plugin NCW CS90.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
There are many free stations here in Los Angeles. I would say the majority of them are Clipper Creek units. They seem to be built very well and withstand any weather.

As much as I'm a Tesla fan, I really don't believe in building public charging stations that can only be used by Tesla. No matter where, I would always install a normal EV plug (J1772) that everyone can use.

In this case, OP wants to make charging available to everyone so this is a win-win.

But I'm sometimes torn. If I visit a hotel, I'll often suggest they install a HPWC.

The pitch is easy: No risk.

Tesla provides the HPWC. Facilities management (usually) can run power at low cost.

If nobody stops to charge: no cost to hotel.

If lots of people stop to charge: more guests and services (rooms, meals, recreation) sold.

Marketing: Inside the car and on Tesla's website.

The alternative is a Clipper Creek.

They have to spend between $500 and $2500.

If guests don't come, then they are out the sunk cost. And the warranty runs out. And it needs to be maintained.

If guests come and charge, great, but how do people find out. Do they need to market? Which cars can charge? How far can they go?

I would check with quickchargepower.com and see if they would put a J1772 on an HPWC, similar to their Jesla product. That might be the cheapest option for a 100 amp universal option.

Depending on install costs, an HPWC and a low amperage level 2 charger could be cheaper than a 100 amp Clipper Creek and then you would have two chargers available instead of one.

But I'm sometimes torn. If I visit a hotel, I'll often suggest they install a HPWC.
The pitch is easy: No risk.
Tesla provides the HPWC. Facilities management (usually) can run power at low cost.
Don't feel torn! I have good news!
To make it even easier, Tesla is now wisely providing hotels with HPWC (I see 3 of these at the Austin Hyatt) plus a J1772 solution (2 I believe at the aforementioned hotel). They obviously don't want a connotation of non-inclusiveness while sincerely promoting electric travel.
The J1772 unit is usually a 30A, normally I would grimace at 30A but hey, having a HPWC there makes that a non-issue.

Rick

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more. That's why I installed 2-100 amp (80 amps delivered) Sun Country Highway (re-branded Clipper Creek) units at my office. Teslas with dual chargers get the same power as they would from a HPWC, but everyone else can use them too.

If the power is split phase, then a good option is a 200 Amp panel with a 100/80 Amp HPWC and a 60/48 Clipper Creek J1772, two cost-effective, high-power EVSE's. That leaves you 40 Circuit Breaker Amps for other smaller outlets and lights in the area in the panel.

This is a great idea. I hope you succeed!

I have a business near the interstate in Pensacola, FL. Can I get some advice on the best (coolest) public station that I could install? I have a res on a model x and would use it myself as well. I would probably make it free with signage posted for voluntary donation (paypal, apple pay, etc) to a charity that I support.

I appreciate any advice.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your willingness to install destination charging at your business.

If you are willing to share more information with me regarding your business and its location I would be prepared to provide you with an email introduction to the local Tesla representative responsible for their Destination Charging Program in the state of Florida. As others have stated, in certain qualifying locations Tesla will donate both Tesla High Power Wall Connectors and Clipper Creek J1772 universal chargers. This is an excellent combination.

If you are interested having a local Tesla representative contact you, please contact me directly at [email protected].

If you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla club, please click on the link in my signature to Florida Tesla Enthusiasts.

Larry

Don't feel torn! I have good news!
To make it even easier, Tesla is now wisely providing hotels with HPWC (I see 3 of these at the Austin Hyatt) plus a J1772 solution (2 I believe at the aforementioned hotel). They obviously don't want a connotation of non-inclusiveness while sincerely promoting electric travel.
The J1772 unit is usually a 30A, normally I would grimace at 30A but hey, having a HPWC there makes that a non-issue.

Rick

Tesla just emailed me- they will provide two free HPWC. They didn't mention throwing in an additional J1772. I've asked them about this. There aren't many Tesla here yet and it would be nice to offer both options.

Is there a system that manages load between several chargers? Say you install 3 or 4. Your total power is 100 Amp. If only one car is charging it could get all the power, if two are charging it would be split between them, or if one only needs 30 Amp, the other one would get 50, and so on. And if one car is done, the other cars would automatically get more. That would make much more sense than having one HPWC hogging 80 Amp when there is almost never a Model S with a dual chargers stopping to charge.