Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put a Tesla motor in any car or truck ever made

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming soon. Jack Rickard has bought a motor/inverter to be installed on his test bench to drive another motor in the form of a dyno(see this weeks EVTV episode).

The CAN codes need to be sorted out. If anyone has researched the codes; it would speed up the process.

If you want to get in on this, the Tesla CAN hack forum is here: EVTV Motor Verks - Custom Electric Car Conversion Instructional Videos

This is the device used as a "throttle" to control and drive the Tesla motor/inverter:

EVTV Motor Verks Store: 1 Generalized Vehicle Control Unit (GEVCU), Motors and Controllers, gevcu

Too bad you have to listen to 2.5 hours of Jack's rambling to get the information. At least Brian his wooden co-host isn't in this one.

Jack, please hire someone to edit your blogs and videos. There's good information there, but I doze off before I can find it. And index the darn site so we can find the information.

Model S Motor/Inverter hack

Jack Rickard bought the Model S Motor/Inverter/Gear reduction that was for sale and is going to work on getting it operational.

He talks about it for around 2 minutes in his latest video. This should take you to the 16:40 mark:

https://youtu.be/e8dzpn3uxkE?t=16m40s

Ah, I see now there is an existing thread. (mod edit: merged threads)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good idea, except that the cost of the battery to get decent range/power out of it would be more than a used Tesla battery. It would be much cheaper to use the entire tesla setup, with a custom made battery box for the Tesla modules(the stock flat Tesla battery enclosure won't fit in many vehicles). In any case, it will be interesting to follow his progress.

For a setup less concerned with range you could use a small high C rate pack for some pretty impressive performance. Standard LiFePO4 can do short bursts of 10C+, A123 nanophosphate can do 40C, and there are some lipoly cells that can do 90C.

For a setup less concerned with range you could use a small high C rate pack for some pretty impressive performance. Standard LiFePO4 can do short bursts of 10C+, A123 nanophosphate can do 40C, and there are some lipoly cells that can do 90C.
Very True. For me(and probably most enthusiasts), it would be hard to have such a capable machine, and not want to drive it a lot. Keeping all of the Tesla bits and removing the SIM card, also gets you supercharging. That alone is a huge plus.

I finally had a chance to watch both clips, and Jack seems knowledgeable enough with regards to programming to probably pull this off(although it won't be easy). A couple of points to help these guys along. 1. He has a acquired a second generation drive unit, charger, and junction box. All of this hardware has different code from the first gen to run it. This will limit the hack to the second gen parts only. 2. Another issue that those guys face is the firmware version the parts are on. This is so dynamic, that even the SC's have a hard time figuring stuff out(that's why new firmware is downloaded with every service visit(especially after hardware swaps).

3. It will save a whole lot of time by just looking up the offsets and other tesla programming information that is documented on this MB for the Roadster. The early Roadster parser work that was done is very valuable, as Tesla used the Roadster as a building block for the Model S.

This is what would be awesome. Take a normal FWD car, Toss Tesla drive unit in the back, throw in $1k worth of batteries, and you've got a sub 10s car.

Some details in the latest blog. http://evtv.me/2015/05/3253/
Scroll down the the inverter input diagram if you want to get right to the Tesla stuff.

Inverter input diagram

teslainverter.jpg

Accelerator pedal looks to be the same unit that Ford uses.

The problem is, there are a number of accelerator schemes out there and I had no idea what Tesla used. The guy I bought the last drive train from promised he’d get me a Tesla pedal. But since its not a high profit item for him, he simply blew me off. Fortunately, one of our hack team members Jeffry Hino sent me a photo of a Tesla accelerator. It had some part numbers. A bit of Googling revealed that the Ford Motor company has used those same part numbers on the Fusion, and the Focus along with a host of other models for the past few years.

More Tesla drive train action, mostly a lot of talk about CAN sniffing. Tesla talk starts at the 1:20:00 mark, this link should take you right to it:
https://youtu.be/c_hQHW6N8-A?t=1h20m18s

Earlier in the vid Jack goes on a bit of a rant about how used EV prices are cratering, which will be a disaster for EV's, and even makes the statement that his Model S will be worth only $25-$30K in a year. In the comment section I point out the fact that Model S values are holding up quite well, but that if he wants to prove his point I'll buy his Model S for $30K one year from now :biggrin: He seems to delete most of my comments so I'm saving a screen cap for proof.

In other S hacking news eldis on DIY may get an S motor spinning first http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/any-ac-motor-any-inverter-umc-152234p6.html

Last edited by a moderator: