Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7 UI Overhaul

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the Autopilot UI shown at the D event. Does this give any hint on what the overall UI overhaul might look like? Definitely looks flatter and modern in all the right places but keeps the richness/glossiness where it makes sense.

TESLA_autopilot.jpg

Here are a couple pics I took inside the demo car at the D event. Interestingly, despite the obvious differences, it was still listed as version 6.0 (which was the current version at the time). The other thing was that this was actually not a D car, as I found out after they popped the hood for me. They said the car was actually there to display the next gen seats.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I like this UI better holistically but I may miss the realtime energy/regeneration feedback from the legacy display.

What am I saying....I probably won't miss it after a week.

I wonder what the blue line between the two cars represents? Perhaps it's the TACC following zone, or maybe it's the automatic emergency braking zone.

I like this UI better holistically but I may miss the realtime energy/regeneration feedback from the legacy display.

What am I saying....I probably won't miss it after a week.

I wonder what the blue line between the two cars represents? Perhaps it's the TACC following zone, or maybe it's the automatic emergency braking zone.

I think this display is only for when autopilot is active, otherwise the speedo/energy consumption dial is there.

I hope they get rid of the round analog dials, it's completely useless, makes no sense on a modern car, and is a big waste of space. The power/regen dial should be replaced with a simple bar instead. The analog speedo is not needed. Speed limit/cruise control markers on the speedo is confusing and very hard to read - they should be shown with numbers instead, under the big digital seedometer.

I hope they get rid of the round analog dials, it's completely useless, makes no sense on a modern car, and is a big waste of space. The power/regen dial should be replaced with a simple bar instead. The analog speedo is not needed. Speed limit/cruise control markers on the speedo is confusing and very hard to read - they should be shown with numbers instead, under the big digital seedometer.

I agree!

get rid of the analog speedometer. The UI shown above is perfect- show a small cruise control icon with current set cruise speed, show exact speed, and a small speed limit sign showing speed limit at all time.

for power output / regen - integrate this in the current energy usage side app instead somehow. This way it can clean up the cluster and only be shown when wanting energy usage any way.

i can't help but think this type of UI would translate to a heads up display (HUD) very well, and I'd guess the Model S will have a HUD sooner than later ;)

I rather like the round dials and the clever ways they've managed to integrate so much information into a single display.

I guess one strength of the computer car is that Tells could easily give you a few display options if they choose to - keep and extend the current one, while also offering an all digital numbers one to make you happy.
Walter

I like how they tried to emulate the Bay Area by assuming every other car on the road is a Tesla. :biggrin:

Lol! Just like out here in Orange County CA. We took a trip up to the Bay Area a few months ago, and I'll be honest- there were much less Tesla's on the road there.

Just last week we took a 1hr drive from Orange County to LA and my kids counted 26 Model S's on the freeway (they like doing that now haha!) and those were the ones u could actually spot, I'm sure we missed some too. The Model S is extremely common out here. You see about 4-5 Tesla's to every 1 Corvette now, it's crazy.

I'd agree that the speed limit/cruise markers are non-intuitive, but don't be so quick to dismiss analog (or simulated) analog gauges. I spent many years as an airline pilot flying various glass cockpit configurations. I also now design control and navigation front ends for ships. When in autopilot mode, I can see how the new interface might present more relevant information. But when manually controlling something, analog gauges allow you to spot trends (i.e., rates of change) much more quickly than digital. Here is an image of a 737 primary flight display. Note the speed tape near the left side of the image. It shows both digital and analog readouts of the indicated airspeed. Motion of the tape up or down allows you to quickly detect any small airspeed changes, while the digital display gives a precise number.

Note that "analog" doesn't have to mean "round." Take advantage of the hardware.

pfd.jpg

I'd agree that the speed limit/cruise markers are non-intuitive, but don't be so quick to dismiss analog (or simulated) analog gauges. I spent many years as an airline pilot flying various glass cockpit configurations. I also now design control and navigation front ends for ships. When in autopilot mode, I can see how the new interface might present more relevant information. But when manually controlling something, analog gauges allow you to spot trends (i.e., rates of change) much more quickly than digital. Here is an image of a 737 primary flight display. Note the speed tape near the left side of the image. It shows both digital and analog readouts of the indicated airspeed. Motion of the tape up or down allows you to quickly detect any small airspeed changes, while the digital display gives a precise number.

Note that "analog" doesn't have to mean "round." Take advantage of the hardware.

View attachment 76666

great idea, then Tesla will start offering training courses on how to decipher gauge cluster information!

disagree here, I like the current display. Single digital display looks too much like a Honda Civic.
dash.png

Last edited: