Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plasti Dipped my wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I seem to like black...

IMG_1648.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG

When I go to trade it in, I just peel it off :)

Man-o-day, how do I make the pics not jumbo? I just took these w/my iphone...

Black on black on black. Nice look! I'm going for gray on gray (and maybe on gray). The plasti-dip will probably also help with potential rash, chips, and salt on the roads in PA! It's a good look. Any thoughts on blacking out some of the chrome trim?

Thank you, I plan to do most of the car matte black as soon as it's warm enough. But yes, the hope is to protect the car and wheels for trade-in value. (and I think it looks pretty evil) :)

PA road salt is AWFUL to everything...

I did the same thing, I like he the caps silver with black tesla logo. You can use a toothpick while the dip is wet around the T and peel the rest off. There is someone selling stickers as well that would work even better.

Yes, I took the wheels off, which was a royal PITA since I only have one floor jack, I had to do one at a time. (as you can't just toss a jack anywhere under the S)
Also since it was 40 out in PA I had to use a space heater and my shop while keeping the cans warm in the house.

I used one can per wheel. The more coats, the better it peels off, and the more durable it is. Trust me, you don't want to peel off 2 coats... it's a PAIN.
I also did the 'barrels' of the wheels, so they are black all the way in.

No, I was never goth, I just like black cars, and when I'm done, you just peel it off like a sunburn.

Yes, I will need all the tips I can get when I do the whole car. I'm most likely going to leave the door handles alone, as I don't want to gum up the works on them, and the dip would rub off eventually anyway from using them.
I just saw some of the new metallic ones on the dip your car website, that looks pretty cool.

Thanks! I like the way it looks 'evil'... some people don't... and that's fine to, that's why I used dip, it peels off :)
Tesla sells black plastic covers for the lugs... but I also think I like the military look of the lugs against the black wheels.
I may do the wife's old car with yellow wheels... to match our yellow jet skis

Yes, I will need all the tips I can get when I do the whole car. I'm most likely going to leave the door handles alone, as I don't want to gum up the works on them, and the dip would rub off eventually anyway from using them.

I left the inside bit of the door handles chrome. I love the slick feeling. I used a little trick to make the line where the dip meets the chrome flush so u can't see it from above and u won't feel it when opening the door. I first sprayed the door handles with the handles flush. Let me say, it looked goofy when they extended. Expecially at car shows when the door handle are always extended. Later I redid my door handles but I sprayed them with them extended so as to get the entire chrome surface. If u precisely tape it up, u shouldn't have to worry about gummy up the works. You'll see soon. Just let me know when u want to see the pics. I'll probably create a folder on dropbox and upload all pics to that.