Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Balloon Squeal Gone in 'Ds'?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious to know if anyone in possession of a new 'D' hears the balloon squeal when accelerating?
It seems to have returned on my car, perhaps as the temperatures became a bit milder.
I know the sound is supposed to be harmless, but wondered if Tesla found a way to get rid of it with the latest cars?

I just went from a P85 to a P85D. Maybe because the D is new, but I've noticed the rear motor is almost completely silent and the front motor is all I hear now. The squel was present in my P85 which I didn't mind at all. The D just sounds cooler though.

Yeah, I had a P85D loaner, and didn't hear the squeal once. On the flip side you do hear the front motor constantly now under normal acceleration (under hard acceleration, you can't hear anything above the passenger screams). Under normal acceleration, you hear a quiet electric motor startup sound.

I thought the balloon squeal was being reported as being removed when owners got their contactors replaced (in older non-D cars and packs)? So if true this is perhaps just because newer packs have the new contactor build.

No balloon squeal in my P85D. As has been noted by others, all I hear in my P85D is front motor noise under heavy acceleration.

Also, I noticed there is no balloon squeal in the new high VIN S85 loaner I got today. In addition, I couldn't hear any noise from the motor (rear) at all under full throttle on the S85. They've really quieted things down.

Get er for a birthday gift...:wink:

For what it's worth, no squeal in our P85D, but we didn't experience a squeal in our P85 either...

It's good to get the sense that this has been dealt with. It's not a big deal but I love the quiet of my car. Anything that that detracts from it, is a negative. On that note, I had my winter tires removed today :smile:
Dancing with the notion of moving to a 'D'!

I had the ballon squeal sometimes in my P85. Then the DU was replaced, and it was even more frequent in the beginning, but then, the last months I haven't heard it at all. I suspected that a firmware updated fixed it.

But yesterday I got my P85D, and I hear a slight balloon squeal sometimes when launching.