Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winnemucca, NV to Boise ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering buying an S85D later this year. I live in northern CA with family in Boise area. The stretch through eastern Oregon seems like it might be to far given the elevation changes. Is this drive reachable?

I am considering buying an S85D later this year. I live in northern CA with family in Boise area. The stretch through eastern Oregon seems like it might be to far given the elevation changes. Is this drive reachable?

I do that drive. We jump from Shasta to Sun River, below Bend, 200 miles, plus quite a few RV parks on the way. Sun River has Tesla Destination Chargers. Then it's another jump to Burns, 150 miles. A small group of us TMCers are putting in a 70 amp charger there, for a top up to get to Ontario or on to Boise, about 150 miles. Of course, from Roseville, it would probably be shorter to jump to Reno, and on.

I prefer the I-5 / 97 route because you're not running through as much deserted country. The jump from Winnemucca north is pretty sparse. For that matter, from Fernley to Winnemucca is sparse. Of course, Burns is about a hundred miles from anything, too.

The Burns charger should be up and running in about a month. Free to all. Tiny community, but willing to pay for your charge while you shop!... or whatever. I will be happy to see that upgrade, as the alternative was -- the RV park. Thank goodness for RV parks, at least.

We need a supercharger, or at least a destination charger, in Ontario! And in Boise. And possibly Nampa. That whole area is a large hole on the charger map.

I might be making the trip to Boise in late July, for a softball championship. I see from plugshare that there's an RV park in Jordan Valley, OR, called Sunnyridge RV Park, that allows 50-amp charging. That should let me get to Boise easily enough, but I'd need some sort of destination charging in Boise for the week that I'll be there. I just called SpringHill Suites Boise, and no 50A or any other charger there. Has anyone done destination charging in Boise?

There is a coffee shop right near the RV Park on the south side of the road that might be willing to submit to Tesla for an HPWC. I am sure they could use a few more customers. I noticed on the Tesla Motors forum that there a few owners that might be willing to share. One may be listed on PlugShare.

Either I missed it before, or a destination charging option in Boise just appeared on the Tesla map: Candlewood Suites Boise. They're listed as having 2 Tesla connectors, up to 80A. Now if I could get the whole team to stay there, that would make things easy. :)

Whoa, cool that I just found this thread. I am the Rocky_H in Boise in that forum thread that @Kendrick linked to. I got to meet David when he got into Boise from that long one-shot up from Winnemucca, and he charged at my house overnight before heading back home.

@mlebl1h, Regarding destination charging in Boise, there is now one hotel in town that has two HPWC installed. It is the Springhill Suites that are listed on Tesla's "Find Us" page. I think you may have called just a bit before they got installed or talked with someone who didn't know (not unusual). I have actually gone there and taken a look at them. They are right up front, so they are frequently ICEed, but they do have two orange traffic cones across the sidewalk waiting, so they are ready to reserve the spots when someone wants them. On another front, I am listed on Plugshare, and you are welcome to use my 14-50 if you want. I can leave the Tesla charging cable out from under the garage door if you let me know ahead of time, so it's easy to coordinate using it whether I'm there or not.

The traveling to Bend from the East is certainly a bothersome trek. Once they get a Supercharger in either Baker City or Ontario, it won't be too bad. From Baker city, you could make it in one shot on a full charge. If it were Ontario, an hour or less stop in Burns at the RV park would probably make it work. @roblab, any update on that charger in Burns you mentioned?

Oh, apparently I missed checking the second page comments about Candlewood Suites before I posted. Sorry about that.

I was was at the candlewood suites just off I-84 eagle road exit and it appears that they now have 2 HPWC chargers as well. Either they are waiting to be made operational or are operational but not yet listed on the tesla website. So that makes 2, locations in the valley with destination charging. The Candlewood Suites by Boise Towne Square mall is currently operational.

i expect the supercharger team will start work on Boise superchargers once they are done with Baker City.

We really need to petition for a HPWC or 2 in Jordan Valley.

I will do that, just not sure what location or business would be appropriate for them to put it at.

Just completed a trip from Boise to Fremont Tesla Factory and back to Boise in our P85 with 21in wheels. The only challenge is Boise to Winnemucca. Need to stop in Jordan Valley and get about 45miles added in order to arrive in Winnemucca with about 15 miles to spare average temperature was high 80s and there is some wind in south eastern Oregon that takes up a few miles of range, need to stay within 5 miles of the speed limits to manage range and expensive Oregon speeding ticket risk. On the way back, one can reduce the added miles needed by about 15 miles since there is about 1300 feet elevation loss on the way to Boise.

I will ill be recommending to the supercharger team to consider placing Destination chargers at Flat Iron Steakhouse in Jordan Valley since it is the only place in town worth a longer stop. The Rockhouse Cafe is also a good place to visit for coffee or ice cream, but they do not have a good parking area that would make them suitable for a charger station setup.

I made the trip from Sunnyvale, CA to Boise, ID in late July, and after looking at various route options with EVtripPlanner, decided to go direct from Winnemucca to Boise, and back without making any charging stops. Of course summer is easier, since you don't need any heating. Traveling at 55 MPH was faster than making any sort of charging stop, such as at an RV park in Jordan Valley. I have an S85 with Autopilot, and here is a summary of the notes I took:

Winnemucca to Boise (net elevation drop)
- left Winnemucca with: 264 RM @ 2:28 PM PT on July 25
- arrived Boise with: 38 RM @ 8:10 MT (4 hours, 42 minutes)
- TACC set to 55 MPH, until the last hour, when I increased it to 65 MPH
- used AC most of the way, since it was 90+ F outside

Boise to Winnemucca (net elevation gain)
- left Boise with: 267 RM @ 4:58 AM MT on Aug 2
- arrived Winnemucca with: 16 RM @ 8:45 AM PT (4 hours, 47 minutes)
- TACC set to 55 MPH, until the last hour, when I increased it to 65 MPH
- no AC or heat, since it was slightly cool outside (~65 F), and very comfortable inside

Both ways, I made the trip from Sunnyvale to Boise in one day. Since I love to drive, it was a very relaxing way for me to spend 12-13 hours. Other than the range charge in Winnemucca, for the trip to Boise, most supercharger stops were 15-25 minutes. Candlewood Suites in Boise was very nice, and I used their HPWC after arriving, and the night before leaving. I was at a different hotel in between, and ended up not needing to charge during the week. With energy savings and range mode enabled, I only lose about 1 RM overnight (on another trip, lost 18 RM with 14 days of not touching the car). I just missed the Boise supercharger opening!

EVtripPlanner was very accurate. On all segments, I ended up using slightly less energy than it predicted. Great tool!