Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trusting Tesla Autopolit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll play with it carefully, and I expect it will earn my trust rather quickly.

Elon uses the airplane analogy a lot but it's not clear to me how that works for a car. If an airplane fails to steer itself or slow down, the pilot has plenty of time to react. If your car fails to steer itself or slow down, you may be in a ditch by the time you grab the wheel or slam the brake. I understand Tesla has to be careful with the liability expectations it sets, but I believe internally the bar for accuracy will be very, very high and will assume a driver who is AWOL.

I'll play with it carefully, and I expect it will earn my trust rather quickly.

Elon uses the airplane analogy a lot but it's not clear to me how that works for a car. If an airplane fails to steer itself or slow down, the pilot has plenty of time to react. If your car fails to steer itself or slow down, you may be in a ditch by the time you grab the wheel or slam the brake. I understand Tesla has to be careful with the liability expectations it sets, but I believe internally the bar for accuracy will be very, very high and will assume a driver who is AWOL.

With respect, your comment that if an aircraft autopilot fails to "steer" and aircraft, the pilot(s) have plenty of time to react is simply wrong. For example, I have often done a fully automatic approach in heavy airliners down to a landing with zero visibility. If the autopilot fails in the latter stages there is perhaps, a second or so sometimes, to react. Like the Tesla, the autopilot in an aircraft requires constant close monitoring.

Yes that makes sense. After getting used to it, I will "trust" it but will keep my hands lose to the wheel.

I'm sure that when the first cruise control feature was implemented people did not trust it right away.

Ask yourself how long it took you to truss TACC? My car doesn't have it, but I drove a P85 loaner with it for two days last week and it didn't take long at all before I trusted that the car was really going to stop without slamming into the car stopping at the red light in front of me.

I plan to dive right in, jump on the highway, set autopilot, and then hop in the back seat for a nap. :scared:

</sarcasm>

Seriously, though, as soon as I know it does what it should in the places I will use it I will trust it to do what it's supposed to, just like TACC. I drove ~1200 miles of highway in the past week, 99% of which were using TACC. I drove hundreds of miles without ever touching either pedal.

I expect the same experience once lane keeping is active except I'll be saying I drove hundreds of miles without touching either pedal or the steering wheel.

I've only driven a few hundred miles so far but I've already seen at least two instances where the TACC failed and I had to intervene to avoid a rear-ender. And I've had a couple of instances where I got the collision imminent warning when no such problem actually existed. So I'm pretty sure that I will always have to monitor the situation with full attention when the 7.0 features are enabled.

But this worries me. It will be very much easier with 7.0 to look away from the road for far too long. In most cases I expect it will work just fine to read a book without looking at the road for many minutes at a time with no ill effects. As the system "gains your trust" you will be tempted to in fact trust it. But that's a prescription for disaster! With TACC you still have to concentrate; just a second or two of inattention will usually lead to trouble. So you're not tempted. With 7.0 the opposite temptation will be huge. I hope tesla has something in mind to avoid this.

My guess with 7.0 is that any time the system is unsure of what to do it will alert the driver. Looking at the recent Mobile Eye presentation and the demos of their current path finding algorithms (citing Tesla as a user of this)... I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't work as intended damn near 100% of the time. It was a pretty impressive presentation and I suggest anyone with the time watch it.

That's bloody amazing!! I would not have imagined that the system would be so capable of dealing with poor weather and poor conditions.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

Yes that makes sense. After getting used to it, I will "trust" it but will keep my hands lose to the wheel.

I'm sure that when the first cruise control feature was implemented people did not trust it right away.

According to Elon's latest comments, you may not have any choice--which I think would spoil the experience once you have faith in the system.

[video]https://youtu.be/qXADb8gE9RU?t=32m2s[/video]