Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW Airbag Recall - Or How the Dealer Service Rep Tried to Scam Us

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife took her '03 3 -Series with a bit over 100k miles to the local BMW dealer for a replacement of the recalled Takata airbags. She left with a recommendation for $3,400 worth of work!! Fortunately she knew better than to agree to anything. They recommended replacing the tires because tread was low. Well, yes, they are snow tires and winter is hopefully over. I'll spend the $1,200 (or much less) in the fall, thank you. Of course an alignment goes with that. And then there was the $1,300 leaking oil pan gasket. Well I haven't seen any drops on the garage floor and I could go through quite a few quarts of oil for that amount of money. And somehow they figured out that the "avg fuel consumption was below recommended level", necessitating a fuel injector and throttle body cleaning for $410. And of course the power steering and brake fluids were contaminated and needed flushing - for another $410. I checked the power steering reservoir and the cap was still dirty. If they even opened it, they did so without cleaning it off first, as well as the lip, which is poor practice

Now here's the funny thing - A month ago I had the car serviced! There's a local shop run by a couple older guys that is well- known by BMW enthusiasts because that's all they work on. The brake fluid was flushed - $50! They said the power steering fluid was fine and they tuned it up. Said car was running fine.

Here's the other funny thing - my wife ran into a friend at the dealer who told her the service reps at this dealership work on commission!

I'm glad the auto dealers are looking out for my best interests!

Will be a relief to bring the MS for service in Springfield with Mike and his team.

At a Toyota dealer, the service advisors got the axe if they didn't sell enough or if their cars through per day was too low (one that was actually good got fired because he was too customer oriented). So it really doesn't matter if they work on commission or not.

Good thing the dealership has employees that are lookin' out for you, eh? :wink:

Seriously though, how hypocritical are dealerships that pay their service personnel on a commission basis, then turn around and tell regulators and the general public that they are protecting us and looking after our interests?

What a crock!