Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to Borrow/Rent a Chademo Adapter 4/2-4/5 Minneapolis, MN.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The subject says it all. I am looking for a Chademo adapter for 4/2-4/5. I am going from Minneapolis to Ely and there is a new Chademo in Forest Lake that I would like to make use of.

If anybody in the Minneapolis area is willing to rent or lend it, I would really appreciate.

I'll pay a deposit equal to the price and a small fee as well as pick it up and drop it off at the location of your choice.

Thanks a lot

The subject says it all. I am looking for a Chademo adapter for 4/2-4/5. I am going from Minneapolis to Ely and there is a new Chademo in Forest Lake that I would like to make use of.

If anybody in the Minneapolis area is willing to rent or lend it, I would really appreciate.

I'll pay a deposit equal to the price and a small fee as well as pick it up and drop it off at the location of your choice.

Thanks a lot
I'm in Milwaukee. Since you need to pass through here, you can pick up mine. I can even meet you at a CHAdeMO station if you'd like to show you how to use it (un-necessary, as it's simple, but just to make you feel more comfortable).

- - - Updated - - -

Scratch that, wrong Ely :p

Presumably you're going to stay at the Adventure Inn since they have a HPWC. Be sure to give us a full report of what they have charging-wise. I'm curious as to whether they got two HPWCs and one J1772 like the Holiday Inn in Owatonna. I, too, plan to make that trip to Ely; probably won't be until the fall, though.

Here is a mini trip report.

On the way up to Ely I left with 266 miles "in the tank," from SW Minneapolis. The planned route was 262 miles. I picked up about 30 miles at an RV hookup in Duluth at a marina. From Duluth I went to Two Harbors and then straight north on County 2, to Hwy. 1 and into Ely. I pulled in with around 35 miles rated, so I probably would have made it without the Duluth charge. I set the cruise at 61mph on 35w, there were insane winds, but they seemed to be mostly straight out of the west and seemed to net out to zero. It was snowing while we were on Hwy. 1. Near Pine City there were dust clouds obscuring my view and slowing traffic from the crazy wind, I resisted turning on the AC to save charge, around 70f and sunny, a few hours later, snow and seat heater at level 3.

Adventure Inn has one HPWC, 79 amps, 206 volts. The fastest it charged my dual charger MS was 48mph, but my battery was cold soaked when I used it. The HPWC is installed in such a way that you need to rely on a public parking space to be available to use it. I am going to talk with the owner about possible solutions, like getting a longer cable on the HPWC or if you could park on the sidewalk it would be fine.

They also have a J1772, Clipper Creek, 32 amps, 206 volts. The parking set-up is better for this charger, it is near their dumpster, where there is a dedicated concrete pad that has plenty of room to park on and would never be ICE'd. I charged overnight on this charger because the parking situation was more favorable and I would be full in the morning either way.

For the ride home from Ely to SW Minneapolis, I decided to make no charging stops. I was filling up at Adventure Inn and was impatient, I was at 265 miles rated, and still taking 20 amps or so and decided to leave on the 252 mile trip, according to Google Maps. My car has shown rated range as high as 272, but usually stops taking charge at about 266. The route I chose was the "standard" 169 to 53 to 33 to 35, then to 694, 100, Excelsior Blvd. I was careful to keep my WH/M below 290, which is my most conservative WH/M estimate for what "rated" means. Temps ranged from 30f in Ely to 49f in Minneapolis.

I made it home and according to my trip meter it was 257.1 miles, 70.9 KwH used, and averaged 276 WH/M, and had 15 rated miles left.

257 miles is not 252 miles, it is not a huge difference, but I wonder who is right, Google Maps or Tesla, because it could matter in an EV.

I do wonder about the useable capacity of my 85kwh battery. I used 70.9KwH, and had 15 rated miles left (15*290=4,350=4.35KwH). That implies a useable 75.25KwH. Had my car charged to 272 rated miles that would have been 7 more miles (7*290=2,030=2.03KwH) so would be 77.28 useable if rated equals 290WH/M. If rated equals 300 then I would have 81.6kwh. <--Just thinking out loud.

Overall I was VERY impressed with the range I could get out of the Tesla. Obviously, everybody know the quoted ranges when they decide to buy a Tesla. If you know where Ely is and and where Minneapolis is, and how much there is in between, and how much everything changes; it is very cool to know a Tesla can real-world make that drive on one charge. The automotive future is here...in case you had not noticed. Soon there will be two Superchargers on this route.

The whole trip cost me $5 in electricity and was done about 60% renewabley and I averaged about 95mpge....awesome.

***I forgot to mention I had a small hiccup. After the car had sat for about 24 hours in temps ranging from 15f to 30f I got in and put it in reverse, pressed the pedal, and nothing happened. I tried a few times and nothing. Then I put it in drive and pressed the pedal, the car shuddered for about 1 second, maybe 3 shudders, and then drove forward. I put it back in reverse, and everything has been fine, there were no error messages. I am wondering if the brakes were stuck to the rotors? That is the best explanation I can come up with.

Last edited:
So you didn't borrow or use or need a CHAdeMO, if I am reading you correctly. You got by with J1772 (and you could have used the HPWC). Is that right?
I would contact Tesla about the hiccup, not from experience or a similar problem, just because I would want to know what happened.

Yes, I got by with no Chademo, only Level 2 charging. Just an FYI, I put my name in for a Chademo adapter and got an email on Friday saying I could order one. Total wait time was about a week, so they must be really close to having them ready for regular retail sale.

Here is a mini trip report.
For the ride home from Ely to SW Minneapolis, I decided to make no charging stops. I was filling up at Adventure Inn and was impatient, I was at 265 miles rated, and still taking 20 amps or so and decided to leave on the 252 mile trip, according to Google Maps. My car has shown rated range as high as 272, but usually stops taking charge at about 266. The route I chose was the "standard" 169 to 53 to 33 to 35, then to 694, 100, Excelsior Blvd. I was careful to keep my WH/M below 290, which is my most conservative WH/M estimate for what "rated" means. Temps ranged from 30f in Ely to 49f in Minneapolis.
I'm curious where in SW Minneapolis you live? I live in Linden Hills and I would usually just take 35W all the way through to 35th street. Google Maps has that about 4 miles shorter than your route.

I'm at 43rd and Zenith so I am actually quite close to you. I don't have an S right now and I can't wait to see my X in the neighborhood as well. :)

And I'm right up the street from both of you, at Glenhurst & 33rd. :) My son & I (mostly my son because he has better eyes) have noticed a marked increase in Teslas at the France & Excelsior intersection over the past few months. Might have been you, Evbwcaer, at least some of the times.