Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch receiver size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BornToFly

Supporting Member
May 8, 2013
Baby Jet
Can anyone with some computer skills try to get a measurement of the receiver and figure out if it is 2 inches or not? It looks smaller to me, which would make it pretty useless if it is. Don't want to have to use an adapter that sticks out 6-8 inches just to get my bike rack on there....

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,413
It looks like a standard 2-inch receiver to me. To me, it looks a lot like the TorkLift trailer hitch that some people have put on their Model S, which uses a 2-inch receiver.

The TorkLift hitch comes with either a 2" or 1.25" receiver. You can conveniently swap them out if need be. I plan on having one of these installed (for hauling bikes) once I get the car, and I'll be using the 1.25" receiver.

Torklift Central | 2012-2015 Tesla Model S EcoHitch - Tesla - Find Your EcoHitch® - Trailer Hitch and Towing

Can anyone with some computer skills try to get a measurement of the receiver and figure out if it is 2 inches or not? It looks smaller to me, which would make it pretty useless if it is. Don't want to have to use an adapter that sticks out 6-8 inches just to get my bike rack on there....

How many bikes do you carry? There are a number of 1-1/4" racks out there which will carry two bikes, though as AlbertOnMars stated, you can switch between 1-1/4" and 2" with the TorkLift receiver mount.

Measuring photo #7 on my laptop's screen with a set of digital calipers, I get 2.19mm for the receiver width/height, and 20.70mm for the height of the wheels (from the viewing angle, you can't use wheel width, since it projects on the image as oval)

Assuming the wheels are 19" (the sidewalls look to high for 21"), I get 19"/20.70mm, or 0.9178 inch/mm photo scale. 0.9178 in/mm * 2.19mm = 2.01"
Assuming the wheels are 21", I get 21"/20.70mm, or 1.0145 inch/mm photo scale. 1.0145 in/mm * 2.19mm = 2.22"

Class III and IV receivers are 2", class V are 2.5" (there is no 2.25" receiver). Plus, if you are trying to claim "better towing capacity than anything in it's class" (or whatever the quote was), you aren't installing a dinky 1.25" class II receiver (max 3500lb trailer weight).

TL;DR - Conclusion - My math says it's a 2" receiver.

Measuring photo #7 on my laptop's screen with a set of digital calipers, I get 2.19mm for the receiver width/height, and 20.70mm for the height of the wheels (from the viewing angle, you can't use wheel width, since it projects on the image as oval)

Assuming the wheels are 19" (the sidewalls look to high for 21"), I get 19"/20.70mm, or 0.9178 inch/mm photo scale. 0.9178 in/mm * 2.19mm = 2.01"
Assuming the wheels are 21", I get 21"/20.70mm, or 1.0145 inch/mm photo scale. 1.0145 in/mm * 2.19mm = 2.22"

Class III and IV receivers are 2", class V are 2.5" (there is no 2.25" receiver). Plus, if you are trying to claim "better towing capacity than anything in it's class" (or whatever the quote was), you aren't installing a dinky 1.25" class II receiver (max 3500lb trailer weight).

TL;DR - Conclusion - My math says it's a 2" receiver.
Thanks for doing the math!

i believe the Model-X prototype was on 24" wheel (no official source, but many traces everywhere in the forum). In fact my guess is that Model-X base height difference compared to the S will be mostly (if not all) about the size of the wheel+tire.

Personally I don't want to have tire as thin that what the S provide with it's 21". SUV, even with sport tires need some extra to go in my comfort zone. (my opinion)

Great analysis, guys. Thank you!

I did some ground clearance measurements assuming these were 19" wheels... didn't get far with that, though. Anyone else care to comment more on the wheel size now that we have a potential data point in the hitch?

I still don't understand why people are assuming that's testing X towing and not S towing.

FWIW, I am not assuming that. I agree it can be merely Model S testing. It makes sense that any improvements for towing in the base platform would trickle down to Model S anyway unless market positioning or other special circumstances dictate otherwise.

That said, there is precedence in the auto industry of testing mules with outward appearance of another model. It would be interesting to know if Tesla has precedence - for example is this such a case or not:

Tesla Model X AWD Prototype Test Mule Spotted Testing (w/video) | Inside EVs

In any case, for the topic of this thread, there is a high-res close-up of the tow receiver. Assuming this is Tesla testing (check manufacturer plates), I assume such a size would likely be applicable to Model X as well.