Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch Supercharger to Petaluma Supercharger (California)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone driven from Harris Ranch Supercharger on I-5 to I-580 and over the Richmond Bridge to U.S. 101 to the Petaluma Supercharger or the exact reverse? This is about 224 miles and seems like traffic and other factors could elevate range anxiety.
Don't suppose you can wait for FW v 6.2? I'd be inclined to swing by Manteca for a top-up, then over to I-80/Hwy 39. Easy, peasy.

224 miles would be a squeaker at highway speeds with AC and starting with 90% charge. Definitely sounds like range anxiety to me and would probably take over an hour to charge that high at HR, so an intermediate stop makes sense. Donaldp's suggestion of Manteca would be the shortest route.

Cutting across Hwy152 to Gilroy would give you another option if you didn't want to divert to Manteca. Might be 15miles longer, but Pacheco Pass is a nice drive, you may like the fragrance of garlic, and the route takes you past Fremont on I-680 where you could visit another SC and genuflect before the factory. :)

224 miles would be a squeaker at highway speeds with AC and starting with 90% charge. Definitely sounds like range anxiety to me and would probably take over an hour to charge that high at HR, so an intermediate stop makes sense. Donaldp's suggestion of Manteca would be the shortest route.

Cutting across Hwy152 to Gilroy would give you another option if you didn't want to divert to Manteca. Might be 15miles longer, but Pacheco Pass is a nice drive, you may like the fragrance of garlic, and the route takes you past Fremont on I-680 where you could visit another SC and genuflect before the factory. :)

I plotted the course through Gilroy as an alternative and found the mileage to be as short an increase as you quoted. I like this idea best and love garlic so this sounds better and better.

What really sealed the deal for me was the genuflect part. Well said! As a good Catholic boy, I can do this without missing a beat. Now I have to order the car and the solar for the roof.

Now I have to order the car and the solar for the roof.

I too plan to build a solar array to power my yet-to-be-ordered MS. If you are good with your hands, you can install your solar array yourself and save about $4,000 to $5,000 on a 4.5KW system. I have sourced best components, an electrical engineer to draw plans so city will allow owner-builder permit, and can do it for $12k (before federal tax credit) even on my cedar shake roof, vs $16k to $18k estimates from commercial outfits that won't install on shakes. Contact me if you want more info.

I too plan to build a solar array to power my yet-to-be-ordered MS. If you are good with your hands, you can install your solar array yourself and save about $4,000 to $5,000 on a 4.5KW system. I have sourced best components, an electrical engineer to draw plans so city will allow owner-builder permit, and can do it for $12k (before federal tax credit) even on my cedar shake roof, vs $16k to $18k estimates from commercial outfits that won't install on shakes. Contact me if you want more info.

Bruce: PM Sent.

- - - Updated - - -

The Gilroy route is shortest anyways if you're coming from Petaluma.

Interesting. I knew both routes were close in mileage but I thought I-580 to I-5 was shorter.

We've done several trips from San Diego to SE San Rafael over the past 2 years. The leg from Harris Ranch to our destination is almost exactly 200 miles, and we have arrived with as little as 6 miles of range (traveling 70-75mph), to as much as 35 miles left. You can likely make it to Petaluma ONLY with a 100% full charge at Harris Ranch (255-265 miles), and speeds averaging no more than 65mph. Your range will also be affected by the wind direction and speed, possibly requiring you to slow down even more, which is tough, given that traffic usually moves anywhere from 5 to 15mph over the posted limit. The new 6.2 software should help, but it's definitely doable!

I see two options that I have used. I have not done that exact route, but jumping over to the 101 and hitting Gilroy (5 to 152 takes you right to it), or catching the 880 and using the factory SCs are both options. I do find the factory to always be full and therefore offering a lower charging rate. Gilroy always seems to have lots of empty stalls. I always find it quicker to take the east bay, 880, to get up to Petaluma, rather than 280 up the Peninsula, or up to the 80 and over. The new charger in Petaluma works like a dream and it not busy yet. I'm not sure, but the 5 to (what is it, the 580?) Manteca feels like a longer route to me.

And 224 mi for my P85+ would make me nervous. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get below a required buffer of about 25-30% for a trip. I could slow down of course (no way!), but I tend to keep it to 75mph, so not too fast.

I just came down from Petaluma to Santa Cruz yesterday. I did my calcs and charged to a 20+% buffer, thinking I was so smart. The trip planner said I would arrive back home with only 8% battery, which made me nervous, knowing I had a mountain to cross. So I stopped at the factory and took it up to 12%, since I didn't yet trust the trip energy calc. Low and behold, I got home with EXACTLY 12% left. I was impressed.

I just did Harris Ranch back to the Peninsula here in the Bay Area through Gilroy. It was a breeze and Gilroy has some good food options (Ginger Cafe had very good dim sum). If your destination is Petaluma and you're traveling during any kind of traffic scenario, weekday or weekend, going up the Peninsula through SF would not be ideal. I-880 and the San Rafael bridge would be more traffic efficient.

- K