Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Roof Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost 2 years of ownership, and no problems with both single-digit (F) winters and 100+ degree summers.

The pano roof is unlike any "sunroof". It really makes the car. Highly recommended (not to mention the additional 2" of headroom for the rear-seat passengers.

No problems in two years for me either. However, it's much improved when you get the screens from the App store. Also you need the pano roof if you ever want to have a rooftop carrier.

Of the various justified and unjustified complaints on these forums over the years I don't recall seeing many related to the pano roof... Time will tell I guess but it seems like a pretty reliable design.

My personal fear is about the rubber seals aging (since it's such a large sealed area) but obviously they must be replaceable (right?)

@Bazerkly My P85 is about 2 years old now. Last year the little pop up fabric wind deflector frame broke and was replaced. Also had a wind noise at high speeds. I believe that there was a service bulletin on the wind noise and some sort of clip was added to solve the problem. I now have a "creaking and popping" noise from the pano roof area. None of these were (are) serious problems, but they are data points for you. I almost never open the roof, but it does make the interior space feel larger and enhances the overall look of the car IMHO. I would likely order again.

Advantages of no Panoramic roof (Tesla's apt name for the sunroof):
---------------------
Less heat transferred into cabin in midday sun.

In cold climates cabin retains heat better.

One less thing that could fail over time.

Reduces cost of car.
--------------------

I've had many cars with sunroofs and found that I rarely used them so have stopped buying that option. But many people like them, and the Tesla Panoramic roof does make the cabin feel even more spacious, plus it provides additional rear seat headroom which those 6 ft and over appreciate. It also provides more front seat headroom but you have to be over about 6 ft 4 in to need it.

Within six months of ownership, three separate instances of water inside the cabin. In the panoramic roof's defense, the third time may have been, solely or in part, due to an improperly installed windshield.

Oddly enough, both the squeaky driver seat and the windshield were installed by robot #47. So far, I hate that robot.

All that to say, panoramic roof 100% worth it. Headroom, rack system, and open feel of the cabin are things you just can't get with the standard roof. I don't see it as a similar or as risky liability as air suspension option which I did not opt for sure to the almost mandatory repairs at year 6-8.

+1 panoramic roof, despite issues

Less heat transferred into cabin in midday sun.

In cold climates cabin retains heat better.

Certainly this is a factor, this post is not an attempt to dispute that.

However, for those trying decide regarding ordering one and comparing with their previous such experiences I'll point out that the thermal properties of the pano roof are significantly better than any sun/moonroofs I've owned on other cars.

Despite having probably ~6X the total glass surface area as either of my current Toyota, or my previous Mercedess moonroofs, I find the thermal transfer to be less. On very hot/cold days if I don't close the solid cloth portion of the moonroof of those other vehicles to cover the glass I get significant heat or cold transfer.

While there's some such transfer in the Tesla, it's nowhere near those others, despite having no additional cover to close. Their infrared/UV rejection is quite good. Ditto for the R-value for cold.

I was going to not get the sunroof,, but for resale it's probably important and the wife wanted it. :). On other cars I usually use only the pop up position as I'm not big on being out in the sun. I find I generally keep it closed for aerodynamic purposes and the air coming in vent position is kinda loud. I do find what ever tinting they have on it from the factory rejects heat and uv very well and keeps the interior from bring too bright. I haven't had any leaks and would say it's fine to get if you decide on it.

-m

I was going to not get the sunroof,, but for resale it's probably important and the wife wanted it. :). On other cars I usually use only the pop up position as I'm not big on being out in the sun. I find I generally keep it closed for aerodynamic purposes and the air coming in vent position is kinda loud. I do find what ever tinting they have on it from the factory rejects heat and uv very well and keeps the interior from bring too bright. I haven't had any leaks and would say it's fine to get if you decide on it.

-m

Right. I got it for the headroom in the back, but it's proved very useful when parking in the sun. Open to 20% and use the screens from the Accessory store. The 12% vent position doesn't work well, in my opinion, because there's no flow through.

No problems at all. No squeaks or anything and no leaks. And not the least bit hot or bright from the sun. I don't even notice it. Although it hasn't rained worth a damn here in 3 years. I love it.

The blare of the sun would have been the only reason that I would hesitate, so it's good to hear that is not a problem. In FL, I find myself closing the shade to a sunroof when the sun is in my field of view. The light when the sun isn't overhead doesn't bother me, but the sun itself does (even with sunglasses on).

I love sunroofs and have had them on many of my past cars as well as the Model S. I have never, ever had problems with any of my past cars' sunroofs. I have a couple of very minor niggles with the Model S pano roof: It doesn't have a true "vent" position. Unlike my past cars with true tilt and slide mechanisms, the Model S roof doesn't have a tilt feature. When you select "vent", all it does is start to slide open slightly. This leave a gap at the front of the mechanism and makes it noisy on the highway. My past cars would just tilt the back up leaving it sealed at the forward edge. I also get a tiny bit of a "tea kettle" whistle in the winter when it's extremely cold. I assume it's just the rubber seals shrinking a bit. Goes away when the temperature is above about 25 F. And finally, what's up with those cheap, flimsy covers over the roof rack mounts? I've already had one break off when the tiny plastic hinge broke. I actually keep a roll of electrical tape in the car and tape them down whenever I go through a car wash because they always would end up opened up by the blower/dryer and I suspect that's how mine snapped off.

I love sunroofs and have had them on many of my past cars as well as the Model S. I have never, ever had problems with any of my past cars' sunroofs. I have a couple of very minor niggles with the Model S pano roof: It doesn't have a true "vent" position. Unlike my past cars with true tilt and slide mechanisms, the Model S roof doesn't have a tilt feature. When you select "vent", all it does is start to slide open slightly. This leave a gap at the front of the mechanism and makes it noisy on the highway. My past cars would just tilt the back up leaving it sealed at the forward edge. I also get a tiny bit of a "tea kettle" whistle in the winter when it's extremely cold. I assume it's just the rubber seals shrinking a bit. Goes away when the temperature is above about 25 F. And finally, what's up with those cheap, flimsy covers over the roof rack mounts? I've already had one break off when the tiny plastic hinge broke. I actually keep a roll of electrical tape in the car and tape them down whenever I go through a car wash because they always would end up opened up by the blower/dryer and I suspect that's how mine snapped off.

OP, I didn't really think much about this before and just thought it tilted up like other sunroofs I've had, but as you can see in the video link below (at 2m 38s) that is does work as @mknox describes. But I still love the pano roof!

[video]https://youtu.be/pqDp0A8zwwA?t=2m38s[/video]

I had an early car (P1653) with sunroof and now have a relatively recent car (P55228) with sunroof.

There were some early issues that people had with the sunroof. I think they've pretty much all been resolved (I don't consider manufacturing defects that someone may experience in this).

I never had any significant issues with my first sunroof. Only two relatively minor issues were that butyl was getting smeared onto the roof when it opened. That issue was resolved long ago. The other thing is that it had a loud whistle when closing at high speeds. My new car is very quiet when closing at speeds and no butyl is spread onto the roof. IMHO the pano roof is performing quite well.