Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normal Saturday morning... out doing grocery shopping. I got what I needed and went back to the car, pushed the switch above the license plate to open the trunk like I have done many times... nothing. Ok... try it again... nothing. Huh. Fished the fob out of my pocket and double clicked the trunk button... nothing. Tried unlocking the doors... nothing. I don't know if something like this has ever happened to you, but I was dumbfounded. Standing there with the ice cream melting... holy crap... now what do I do? Tried every way known to man to push the fob buttons to make something happen... nothing. I was going through a list of who I could call to go to my house and get the other fob from my wife, when it dawned on me... CELL PHONE APP!!! Used it to unlock the car, and then start it so I could drive home. This technology is awesome!!

Got home and tried the other fob (after putting away the ice cream), and everything worked fine with the other fob. First fob still does not work, even after replacing the battery. Apparently I have experienced sudden fob failure syndrome. I called the Scottsdale Service Center, but apparently they no longer have Saturday hours. I'll call them Monday and see what I need to do to get the bad fob replaced.

Weirdest feeling In the world when nothing happened. I'm still chuckling about it.

I had a similar experience after a club meet up a couple of weeks ago in Ocala. We ate at a restaurant first, then we were all heading over to a car museum. I left the restaurant, walked up and my handles didn't auto present. Odd, never happened before. I pressed on them, nothing. I said, over the roof to my bf, "I don't know what's wrong, this is new", and he replied " I do, this isn't your car! " I thought that's how your story was going to end!

Normal Saturday morning... out doing grocery shopping. I got what I needed and went back to the car, pushed the switch above the license plate to open the trunk like I have done many times... nothing. Ok... try it again... nothing. Huh. Fished the fob out of my pocket and double clicked the trunk button... nothing. Tried unlocking the doors... nothing. I don't know if something like this has ever happened to you, but I was dumbfounded. Standing there with the ice cream melting... holy crap... now what do I do? Tried every way known to man to push the fob buttons to make something happen... nothing. I was going through a list of who I could call to go to my house and get the other fob from my wife, when it dawned on me... CELL PHONE APP!!! Used it to unlock the car, and then start it so I could drive home. This technology is awesome!!

Got home and tried the other fob (after putting away the ice cream), and everything worked fine with the other fob. First fob still does not work, even after replacing the battery. Apparently I have experienced sudden fob failure syndrome. I called the Scottsdale Service Center, but apparently they no longer have Saturday hours. I'll call them Monday and see what I need to do to get the bad fob replaced.

Weirdest feeling In the world when nothing happened. I'm still chuckling about it.

My car didn't auto open once and the fob didn't work either, I also used the phone app to unlock the car and was able to drive the car. But my fob did work later.

Happened to me once and my phone was also locked inside the car. The only way I got back into the car was to borrow someone's iPhone, download the Tesla app, and unlock the car from there. Tesla replaced the fob. It was draining full batteries within a month's time. It was defective and they drove to my house, gave me a free inspection (top-up tire pressure and wiper fluids), fixed the wind noise that was leaking through the triangle window, and replaced the keyfob. They're very good at customer service.

I had the exact thing happen to me with my '07 Lexus GS300. The whole keyless thing was new to me then too, got the same exact feeling. In my case I was standing behind the wrong car trying to open somebody else's trunk...which I discovered when the owner approached and asked if he could help me. Thankfully my key fob, when produced, was able to summon a few beeps in an identical Lexus parked nearby...

Is it possible that - perhaps on top of a weak fob battery - where you park has significance? Just wondering if some nearby source of serious RFI may have tipped things over the edge into non-functionality? This might explain why the fob doesn't work one minute and - assuming you have moved the car - it does the next. Short of carrying around an RF spectrum analyser we'll probably never know! MW

Is it possible that - perhaps on top of a weak fob battery - where you park has significance? Just wondering if some nearby source of serious RFI may have tipped things over the edge into non-functionality? This might explain why the fob doesn't work one minute and - assuming you have moved the car - it does the next. Short of carrying around an RF spectrum analyser we'll probably never know! MW

This used to happen with one of our old ICE's with a traditional alarm/door lock key fob whenever we visited a specific friend and parked in a specific parking lot or space. Not too far down the road was a radio tower and I presumed one of the transmission lines ran underneath the parking lot. Ever time we parked in that guest spaces on the south side of her bldg, the alarm would not disengage and unlock the doors. Had to learn the manual bypass on the car very quickly, but after the third time, we just avoided that specific set of guest spaces. Never had a problem since or elsewhere.

Update:

The bad fob did not work at any location, even after replacing the battery. I went to the Scottsdale Service Center this afternoon (called yesterday and got an appointment). They verified that the fob in question was 'unresponsive' and replaced it. They were quite busy (deliveries... end of quarter), but they got me all taken care of in 45 minutes. Great service!!

This happened to me last week.

The buttons wouldn't work but when I walked up to the car, the handles presented without an issue.

I went to Tesla service and they did some reprogramming, it seemed to fix the issue

I was at TedX in St Louis getting the car ready to show off. I had my purse in the car with the fob and phone in it. While I was bucket washing the car, it locked on me. And i'd laid my laptop down on top of my purse. And of cours it was blocking the signal. So I had to use someone's phone to call my husband. So he could unlock the car. So I could get in.

Love the phone app. Of course that wasn't the last time I did that either.