Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85d delivered today (france) : Charging problem at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
Just took delivery today of my P85D in the Tesla center of Aix en Provence. After the presentation of the car, we came back home to Toulouse. 400 km and the car was amazing, verry happy with handle and the ludicrous power.
Narbonne Supercharger worked very well and we were happy until we try to charge at home... My house has a three phase grid. I recently made an installation of a 380V 16A electrical outlet to welcome the tesla's red cable.
My problem is : as soon as i plug it into the tesla, light's car turns flashing green (charging) for 2 sec and turn then to fix blue. It's very ambarrassing.
On the screen it says : problem with cable. But the cable looks fine ! After that I tried with a conventional 220V electrical outlet, and we had the same wrong message for cables. The only light on on the power box is the first green one no flashing. I'll try to phone tesla on the next day but is someone has ever had the same problem ?
Sorry for my bad english...!

P85D 1.jpg
P85D 2.jpg
P85D 3.jpg
P85D 4.jpg
P85D 5.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, Johan.

Given that your car did not have any problems charging at Tesla and the Supecharger, I suspect that you might have faulty Universal Mobile Connector (UMC). You might want to look at this thread describing problems with faulty Universal Mobile Charger.

There is a nice video in post#33 explaining the problem with UMC and how to fix it. Posts #35 and 39 describr the problem that I had with my UMC.

I am not sure if the "red" cable is equivalent to UMC, but hope that above mentioned thread might help.

Beautiful car. Trés Bien! Congratulations.

It looks like the car was plugged in at the delivery center, and they were using a type 2 wall box and cable. This type of cable does not have any electronics. Instead, the electronics that tell the car how much power it can safely use are in the wall box.

At home, are you using Tesla's UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) to connect the car to the 220 V single phase outlet? And the same UMC to connect to your red 3-phase 380 V outlet? In this setup the outlets are dumb, and the UMC has the electronics. Perhaps you UMC has a problem?

If you have a type 2 cable, and there is a public type 2 station nearby, you could try charging there. You also could use a type 3 public station if you have a cable with tupe 2 plug on one end and type 3 plug on the other end.

In any case, I hope Tesla fixes this quickly for you.

Good Luck,

GSP

Welcome to the Forum, Johan.

Given that your car did not have any problems charging at Tesla and the Supecharger, I suspect that you might have faulty Universal Mobile Connector (UMC). You might want to look at this thread describing problems with faulty Universal Mobile Charger.

There is a nice video in post#33 explaining the problem with UMC and how to fix it. Posts #35 and 39 describr the problem that I had with my UMC.

I am not sure if the "red" cable is equivalent to UMC, but hope that above mentioned thread might help.

Hi, thank you.
i saw the video and tried it. Doesn't work... I use the UMC with the 400V 16A 11kw outlet

Johan,

I can't help you directly, being in Paris but here's a few thoughts.

In France, there is a known issue with the 220V plug (cf. LuckyLuke post above) so Tesla probably placed two copies of the plug in the cable bag (I had that when delivered in July-14): one works the other one doesn't.

Also their Assistance number is available 24/7, 24h/24h et 7/7 in French :), so you don't need to wait till Monday to get some help from Tesla Motors France.

Last, there's a french section on this forum: France

E.

Good to hear you have ruled out a faulty UMC. Now the search continues...
I can remember someone else had this problem with red CEE16 socket and that he solved it by rewiring the socket for the proper L1 L2 L3 N PE wires. Should be relatively easy when you have a multimeter somewhere, and as always: take proper care when working with live current!